Advice on 55" TV

rapidhippo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am just looking for a bit of advice as I don't know an awful lot about TV's.

I am looking to buy a new 55-60" TV which will be predominantly be used for sport (mainly football), but I am concerned about 'motion blur'. So I am unsure on which TV would be best.

Budget is around £500-£600.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If VA is more suited to your conditions and you are buying the TV at the correct time of year (right now is not a good time to buy) then you should be on the cusp of affording mid range models using VA panels which have 120hz refresh rate and minimal blur.

Last year that would have been TVs like the Samsung RU8000 or Hisense U8B. Those are next to impossible to find now, but this year the cheapest are looking to be the Hisense U8Q or Samsung Q70T.

On the IPS front LGs SM8500/SM8600 range was good value last year. This year the cheapest way of getting 120hz is the UN8500, but you may prefer the higher end Nano85 or Nano86 models if you want a bit more future proofing with HDMI 2.1.

Its more or less 55" or 65" nowadays, 60" is a rare size. If you can raise the budget and go for a 65" TCL have the C815 LCD TV using a 120hz VA panel, unfortunately the 55" TV only uses 60hz, so has more blur.

As with most of my replies, this time of year is generally a bad time to buy if you can only find 2020 stock. The TCL was released a bit earlier than other TVs, so its a bit cheaper. The Hisense U8Q would be next best, but like many other 2020 models will come down in price come Black Friday 2020 or later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom