Question Advice on a new 65" TV

geekcroft

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new 65" TV and am confused with all the different model variants etc etc.

TV is to go in the Living room, with the couch mainly opposite it (one side is around 30-35 degrees from the centre of the TV). There is a second count around 60 degree angle, but its unlikely to be used often.

Preferable after something that can stream 4k UHD From a Plex server over 300mbps Wifi that will cope with some light gaming (PS4 1080p) and if possible have FreeSAT capability.

Budget is £6-800.

I've been looking at the 2019/2020 LG TV's around that price, though the viewing angle is my biggest concern.

For reference, we currently have a JVC 40" (Supermarket bought I believe) TV, and the viewing angle seems fine on that.

Thanks!

As long as you don't intend to stream HDR most TVs will support what you want to do without a problem providing they have a built in Plex app.

LG models use IPS type panels at 65" and will have viewing angles similar to your current TV, should be fine at 30-35 degrees. I'd suggest going for an outgoing 2019 model such as the SM8500 or SM8600 rather than a new 2020 model as you'll get more TV for the money.

With LCD TVs nowadays you can get a lot of TV for your money provided you aren't intending to use the TV for HDR. Every TV is sold as being 'HDR' but very few can actually display it without issues.
HDR demands the TV to have good local dimming and high peak brightness, something that cheaper models lack. So therefore with your budget I'd recommend treating the purchase strictly as a non-HDR TV.

I suspect the source media will be UHD in Plex (I can support a transcode for it I suspect, but would rather a Direct Stream/Play). Ignore this, I got confused between HDR/UHD :D

SM8500/8600 - whats the difference?

Lastly - where to buy from.It's likely I'll have to get it delivered, so anywhere in particular I should be avoiding/looking to for decent £/service?

Last edited:
SM8500/8600 - whats the difference?
Aesthetics
Lastly - where to buy from.It's likely I'll have to get it delivered, so anywhere in particular I should be avoiding/looking to for decent £/service?
Its better to buy from a reputable retailer with an extended warranty than not but that might be hard now since 2019 models are all but selling out.

If you can't get old of one, the Sony XG85/XG87 series would be the best alternative. Also 2019 models. Sony have a refurb store here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Again they are the same TVs, only difference is with software and aesthetics.

If you can't find those, best to revisit your purchase at a later time unless you are willing to put another 400-500 on top of your budget for the luxury of buying a new 2020 model of equivalent spec now. They are currently very expensive having just been released. Black Friday 2020 and onward will be a better time to revisit a purchase if that is the case.

Regarding HDR, if you are planning to rip UHD Blu-Ray discs for playback via a server then you may have some problems avoiding HDR. If you can rip them deliberately without HDR info it would be ideal, because otherwise the picture will be quite messy on these TVs. You may consider downsizing, or upping your budget to afford the Sony XF9005 or XG9505 (perhaps consider a refurb) to avoid these problems.

If I can reduce the viewing angle slightly does that open up any slightly cheaper options?

Both the Sony and LG are looking around £900 and it’s slightly out my budget.

Not really, most 2019 models using VA panels have sold out now, leaving only 2020 ones that are too expensive. The new TCL 65C815 would probably be the best at the moment, but its sold out. Should be back in since its a new model though.

TVs with narrower viewing angles do have better overall picture quality generally, but you still need to spend more or downsize if you want to use the TV for HDR.

Sounds like overall I'd be better convincing the wife to move some furniture a ft or two to get <30 viewing angles at the edges of the couch and getting something like the TCL.

I can only find the 65C815K (on Amazon) - is that the UK product code?

Perfect.

I have to say, I obviously had a dig through the forum before I posted and I saw your name pop up all over. Your advice and replies are always well thought out and detailed enough to give me exactly the information I need - Thankyou!

Perfect.

I have to say, I obviously had a dig through the forum before I posted and I saw your name pop up all over. Your advice and replies are always well thought out and detailed enough to give me exactly the information I need - Thankyou!
thanks. I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad I have helped you. Please let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Last question (for now);

is there a difference between the TCL 815k and 715k (in terms of screen/panel - I know there are differences in the audio but my long term goal will be to wire into my existing Amp/Speakers anyway)

Been reading your 2019/2020 buying guide and see the 65UM7400 is recommended as a low-cost option with wider viewing angles - is it worth it?

Been reading your 2019/2020 buying guide and see the 65UM7400 is recommended as a low-cost option with wider viewing angles - is it worth it?
Its a good budget TV, so if you can still find one yes. Its not a mid range TV though so its motion won't be as good as higher tier LGs or indeed the TCL C815. Most people are fine with motion on 60hz TVs though.

As for the TCL 7 series compared to 8. Main difference is with the panel hz. The 7 series is more budget oriented like the LG UM7400.

Just a quick update. I found the 2019 LG model above for £599 and received it today.

What an awesome TV.
Thank you for all your advice and guides - they’re absolutely spot on!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom