AE TD12M/TPL150H/Beyma 15MC700Nd build

I didn't look in too much detail when I was considering this. What is the frequency resolution of the filters on each unit.

96 kHz for both, 64 bits DSP for Monacor, 32 bits DSP for db-Mark.

Both seems to use a different OEM Chinese base, that is then re-branded by each manufacture. The Monacor uses the same base as the Ashly Protea, etc.

The db-mark base is also used by a company called DAP Audio, here the same base as the 26 model, and i'm sure there are lots more.

I think that they should be in the same ballpark on sound quality, my main concern is how reliable their software is.

I was initially leaning to the db-mark (and still am), but i don't like the fact that the frequencies are fixed. Nevertheless, the 0.6db increments should be precise enough, so i don't think it should have any impact in the final result.

I was wondering if there was any difference in the filter frequencies available. Probably used the wrong word. Just in case you wanted a fairly precise notch filter one might be better than the other.

Sorry, you were very clear, i just haven't read it correctly :)

The monacor is like the miniDSP, you can select any frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz.
The db-mark has a similar range from 19Hz to 20kHz, but you have fixed frequencies, with a step value depending on the frequency (similar to the Emotiva UMC-200 PEQ, for example).

So lets say that for the TD12M i would need:
- HPF LR 24db 200Hz
- LPF LR 24db 1200kHz

Here on the Monacor:

yagCA8I.png

Here on the db-mark:
3MRD5rj.png

On the db-mark, the closest frequencies were 198Hz and 1190 kHz (next step is 1224Hz).

Is this limitation important in order to achieve the vest results? Don't know :)

The Monacor UI is way more refined, and the documentation way better, the manual seems very professional and well written.

the dbmark specs say PEQ is 0.01-3octave bandwidth with 0.01 octave steps on the input side and 0.05-3 octave bandwidth with 0.05 octave steps on the outside side. Slightly odd way to specify that but seems reasonably granular.

It doesn't say whether they are constant or proportional Q filters though.

I would think that format might get slightly annoying in terms of translating to/from the sort of tools you are likely to use to generate PEQ but not an insurmountable hurdle.

It doesn't say whether they are constant or proportional Q filters though.

The QF/SLOPE seems to be the Q parameter, and goes from 0.404 to 28.852.
I tried a Parametric filter and it behaves as expected when changing the Q value.

The QF/SLOPE seems to be the Q parameter, and goes from 0.404 to 28.852
constant Q and proportional Q are two different types of filter, filter Q varies with gain in the proportional Q case whereas constant Q has a Q that does not vary with gain

PL-Audio inform me that their units are made by AllDSP, that offers custom OEM solutions.
It seems the SP48 unit (and also Monacor) is based on this OEM unit: AllDSP PLP48

I contacted AllDSP requesting the technical info for this unit.

AllDSP seems to have a great feedback, so it may proves an interesting product.

A review of the Monacor here.

An a "clone" made by Pl-Audio, supposedly made in Germany, here.

Have you asked for a price for this one? Certainly prefer the look of the interface on the DSM vs the XCA

525£ locally (Portugal).

Unfortunately, i have been unable to get DSM technical specs, neither from Monacor, AllDSP or Pl-Audio :(

Tomorrow i'm going to the wood builder to drew the holes for the screws for the TD12M.
@mattkhan, as you had/have several AE units, do you think i can use the TD12M gasket as a template to drill the holes? Is this accurate, or i really need to drill the holes using the woofers?

I'm not sure what you're asking, I usually just drop the driver in and then screw it into place.

I'm sorry, i probably didn't use the correct word.

What do you call to the rubber that i pointed with the red arrow?

fgMTxcB.png

that is the gasket, I just don't know what you mean. Is it to take the gasket off and then use that as the template for pre drilling a hole?

Correct.

The builder lives 100 km from my house and i would prefer avoid traveling with both woofers just to drill a hole :)

right ok, I don't know tbh. I suppose the main risk is aligning the holes correctly, i.e. unless the holes and gasket are sufficiently symmetrical then you'll need to get the gasket back on the driver and aligned to the right holes so that your template matches. I have no idea if this is a real risk or not. I don't generally pre drill so this is not something that has occurred to me (I just plonk them in and drive the screws in.)

Actually one thing to bear in mind is that in my more pedantic moments, I think of rotating the drivers so the leads are aligned pointing downwards on all drivers. Something to bear in mind if you want the strictly symmetrical look :)

Thanks, i think i will play on the safe side and go with the drivers instead.
I emailed John, maybe he can advise on what to do :)

Boxes should be ready in about two weeks, and the TPL-150H should arrive next week.

Received these just now :

N52iQRk.jpg

1SxQJmC.jpg

YkRhNfE.jpg

Almost there :)

I had an Oppo 203 that i recently sold, as i decided to build an HTPC as my only source for Video and Audio. Nevertheless, due to money and time constraints, the idea was to start this only by the end of the year, also waiting for the new graphic cards releases and potentially price drops.

The plan for this DIY speakers, and the only thing missing at the moment is the Active crossover, and the Monacor DSP-48 is the most likely candidate.

But as the Monacor/MiniDSP/Whatever will always be around 550£, i started to think that as the plan is to go for an HTPC, why not having the HTPC as the Active crossover? It would allow completely eliminating the external crossover Box, and at the same time, use the HTPC that should be much powerful than any external box.

Obviously, this may increase the complexity, but it can also be more rewarding and allow some money savings.

In order to provide a better picture of the plans on the table (External XO vs HTPC XO), i created two diagrams:
  • The first represents the initial plan, using an external player as Zidoo, Oppo, etc, and the XO being an external DSP, the Monacor as the most likely candidate.
  • The second, represents the changes in order to have the XO being performed in the HTPC.

External DSP XO
aJpkGe7.png

HTPC XO (DOES NOT WORK AS ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO DECODE ATMOS IN THE htpc)
YehUQFr.png

@mattkhan , sorry for requesting your help directly, but as you not only have the better understanding on the Audio side, you also have the better understanding on the HTPC side, so could you please have a look at this, and share your input, potential problems, and all other details i'm surely missing.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that on the HTPC side, the idea is to use MadVR as the Video Renderer.

You can't do Atmos like that as you would have to bitstream from the htpc. You would have to put the pc after the decoder fed by its analogue outputs. Alternatively ignore Atmos.

You are absolutely right ... a "small" detail i forgot :(
Back to the original plan ...

Thank you :smashin:

All gone a bit quiet??

Very interested to see these come to fruition. Having said my speakers that are nearly completed will be my last I do still fancy trying the TPL150H to see what all the fuss is about.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom