Question AE1 active, share your experiences

bones`

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I always wanted a pair of the original AE1's but could never quite aford them back in the day. Now I find myself in the market for some compact speakers that will sit on a TV bench, not ideal but I'm not arranging my room around hifi like I have in the past. I am sorely tempted by the actives and Yamaha preamp. They look great, they review great and they are called AE1, what's not to like. Unfortunately I would be buying blind so to speak hence the question, if you have a pair what are your thoughts, what did you compare them to? Would you buy the same again? I do like rock and prefer an upfront presentation with puchy bass if that helps. I can always add a sub later if need be. Any input appreciated.

AE are excellent speakers but do require a very good source

pre amp / headphone amp / phono stage / roon end point / dac / wireless + kitchen sink
you can connect TV , turntable , Phone , PC , Cd player etc

ptus-sides.jpg

Hi Daytona
I was looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 wi-fi preamp, I only listen to spotify and a little youtube content fed via optical. A appreciate spotify is not the best source but I always found it more than acceptable fed into a dac. Do you think the AE1's would be overkill?

£300 streamer & £1000 speakers better with £1000 streamer & £300 speakers or KEF lsx

AE are excellent speakers but do require a very good source

pre amp / headphone amp / phono stage / roon end point / dac / wireless + kitchen sink
you can connect TV , turntable , Phone , PC , Cd player etc

.View attachment 1304748
That is a really well specified bit of kit. Perfect for a pair of quality actives like the AEs.

Not really what I wanted to hear but I understand the logic. Not sure I would hear the difference between the two sources mentioned but I certainly hear the difference when I swap speakers.

Hi Daytona
I was looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 wi-fi preamp, I only listen to spotify and a little youtube content fed via optical. A appreciate spotify is not the best source but I always found it more than acceptable fed into a dac. Do you think the AE1's would be overkill?
I don’t think that would be overkill at all. If the WXC-50 has all the features you want then there’s no reason it shouldn’t do its job to a high standard.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom