Answered Aerial installations

Robertus

Novice Member
Reaction score
i think my aerial (on the roof) is wonky and old, so I'm looking at getting a new install (aerial and cabling). Any recommended installers in Manchester? Any specific aerial to go for?

Yep, and overload the set's input stages in a strong reception area. Not a good idea. If he is in any doubt, he should to get in an 'expert' just like he is wanting to do.

Yep, and overload the set's input stages in a strong reception area. Not a good idea. If he is in any doubt, he should to get in an 'expert' just like he is wanting to do.

I didn't tell him to do it himself, I was answering his second question. I don't think a super easy 1 minute fix is worth worrying about.

And I was answering your answer to his second question. I also didn't suggest he did it himself either. If you don't know what type of aerial you need, then ask someone who does, like he is trying to do. To suggest a suitable aerial, you would at least need to know where he lives and it's proximity to a transmitter. For instance, it would be unlikely that he would need a high gain wideband aerial if he lives half a mile from Crystal Palace he would likely need a pretty modest gain band K aerial.
And what's the super easy, one minute fix that you are implying?

Assuming OP lives in Manchester, signal strength is likely to be high. In that case the smallest log periodic is likely to the best choice. A log36 would likely work in the loft depending on the orientation of the slates/roof tiles. I use one of these 30mls from Lark Stoke (a lower powered relay). If the existing downlead enters the loft it should be a simple DIY job if the signal strength is high.

OP should enter post code and number here :

Digital UK Industry - The postcode coverage checker

and report the numbers alongside the grey MUX channel numbers which are hopefully underlined in green and the transmitter name at the top of the list.

Image attached is random Manchester postcode.

Also see

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV

Log periodics are not high gain but they produce stable pictures from surprisingly low signal strengths (especially the log36) due to relative immunity from impulse interference and the newer ones have a gain curve to help avoid 4G interference. A much better aerial than the average yagi.

Attachments

• Winter Hill.jpg
    Winter Hill.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
And I was answering your answer to his second question. I also didn't suggest he did it himself either. If you don't know what type of aerial you need, then ask someone who does, like he is trying to do. To suggest a suitable aerial, you would at least need to know where he lives and it's proximity to a transmitter. For instance, it would be unlikely that he would need a high gain wideband aerial if he lives half a mile from Crystal Palace he would likely need a pretty modest gain band K aerial.
And what's the super easy, one minute fix that you are implying?

Plug in an attentuator, less than a minute if you're quick, or install an aerial with inadequate gain. Trip back to the roof to replace or fit an amplifier. I know what I would choose.

Any decent installer (in an unfamiliar location) starts with the digitaluk prediction, a trusty test antenna (aerial) and his meter / spectrum analyser to assess the reception (sometimes in more than one location on the roof)...

Based on the results he selects the correct aerial for the location...

On his own patch (where he's installed often) he may know what is required without that extra work.

High gain aerials of the bacofoil variety are not recommended here or by the better professionals like ATV aerials. In most cases if a log is not enough then an 18-element will do the job.

@OP: Avoid any aerial offered with a rectangular, pressed alloy, plate reflector... known as Contract aerials they are cheap and often do not perform well.

Manchester is too general to advise emphatically... e.g. there's a relay at Hulme for example... and a few big buildings that can block signals. (The Old Trafford self help fixes one such problem area http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1729 )

Plug in an attentuator, less than a minute if you're quick, or install an aerial with inadequate gain. Trip back to the roof to replace or fit an amplifier. I know what I would choose.
Isn't that what a cowboy would do? Fit a high gain antenna then have to fit an attenuator when he finds the set overloaded? I much prefer the method suggested by Rodders and indeed what the OP was asking about.
Still, nobody seems to be able to answer his first question, which, if satisfied, will answer the second.

Isn't that what a cowboy would do? Fit a high gain antenna then have to fit an attenuator when he finds the set overloaded? I much prefer the method suggested by Rodders and indeed what the OP was asking about.
Still, nobody seems to be able to answer his first question, which, if satisfied, will answer the second.

No not really, I think a cowboy would rely on a postcode and base his decision on that (not a dig at anyone) my point was not to install or an endorsement for a high gain aerial but that a high gain wideband was as close to a one size fits all that exists. A high gain/ attentuator combination is unlikely to fail anywhere. Logs/ banded aerials easily could.

So you would stick up a stonking great high gain yagi on the chimney with an attenuator when a much smaller neat log periodic, or even a loft mounted log, or even a Tesco's finest yagi :D would be more than sufficient? But of course, you are totally correct, your solution would work.
Banded aerials are fine and dandy so long as you chose the right band for the transmitter that you want to receive.
I don't think anyone suggested choosing an aerial based on postcode, but knowing how far the OP is away from the transmitter is a useful starting point along with reception predictions. But like Rodders said..........

No I never said that. I said "The job dictates the aerial not the other way around, if in doubt choose a high gain wide-band aerial" If you are running a signal a signal test like every good installer should. You wouldn't be in doubt and in a place to pick the correct aerial - It's you that that has committed me to a high gain. Besides a 32 element is considered high gain - hardly a stonking great size!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom