Air fryer/halogen cooker thread

We like our Philips one. It isn't even low oil, its no oil. Don't care about displays or anything. We just leave ours on 200 degrees and vary the time. Chips, Fishfingers, Bitterballen, Bami slice, Kroketten etc all very good. We use ours simply as a replacement for a deep fat fryer but without the oil.

Ok I have bought into this. Please keep the recipes coming.

Attachments

• 20190410_180727.jpg
    20190410_180727.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 162
Grabbed myself an air fryer from Tesco’s yesterday, prompted by this thread and my wife’s refusal to have a deep fat fryer, (agree with her to be fair.)

Mine’s a Tower VortX, bit of a budget model - 50 quid down from 75 quid - but an inexpensive way to give it a go. Tried it with chips first :) which I guess is the law. Maris Pipers chopped, washed and thoroughly dried. Very impressed. 25mins to produce nice, crunchy fries with no mess and next to no oil. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to experimenting when on my days off. Will try the sprouts recipe. Fancy trying onion bahjis as well.
Did you try the sprout recipe?

@Thug

Bought the fryer you recommended. Used it for the first time today to do some chips (skins on wedges) but they came out a little dry using the chips program. Do you need to adjust the time if the basket isn't full?

@Thug

Bought the fryer you recommended. Used it for the first time today to do some chips (skins on wedges) but they came out a little dry using the chips program. Do you need to adjust the time if the basket isn't full?

I just check mine every five minutes. My fryer doesn’t stir the food so I need to shake the chips anyway while cooking.

My method:

Chop potatoes to size required. Wash chips thoroughly in cold water to remove starch. Dry chips in a tea towel. Leave in fridge for an hour or so to dry out more. Coat lightly in rapeseed oil. 200deg in fryer, shaking and checking every five minutes.

Ah, see I didn't do anything with the cut chips except lob them in after the pre-warm was finished.

Pre-preparing chips comes across as a bit odd to me tbh. They're suppose to be a quick food :/

First use tonight. Basic chips agony..... waiting to see what they are like. Beeping

3 and a half hours and no update.... agony :) how were they ?

Don’t fry chips much but kids eat a lot of oven ones interested in how these compare.

I have a Tefal one and basically it only does chips and roast potatoes, when i do chips all I do is peel the potatoes and chip to the size I want, then rinse them off to remove the starch in a bowl under cold running water, drain in a cullender and shake , then just place them in the fryer for 5 mins then lift lid and add a half scoop of veg oil and further cook for another 25 minutes and they come out as I like them, a little crispy and soft in the middle, dead easy!

I am now looking at a better/different one that I can do more in as in Steak and other stuff like chicken, one with a rotisserie will do, there is a few on The Zon, Anyone any recommendations or experience with one?

3 and a half hours and no update.... agony :) how were they ?

Don’t fry chips much but kids eat a lot of oven ones interested in how these compare.
Apologies, not perfect I didn't shake them every 5 mins but practise makes perfect also the type of potato.

@Thug

A little late to reply here (that's 12 hour shifts for you).
As already said, cut them, wash them (for as long as you can), then dry them before cooking them, for a 'basic' chip.

My regime, if wanting special thick cut chips is to wash them, cut them (skin on), boil them for 5 mins, drain them, lay them out on kitchen roll and allow the steam to come off and dry them.
I then place them in a bag with a spoonful of frylight and agitate the bag as the frying is preheating, then put them it. I check them and shake them every 10 mins.
Yes, this is a chew on, but they are the best and you can boil them hours before you need them if you want.

Southern fried potatoes tonight. Yum.

Maris Pipers peeled chopped and thoroughly washed to get rid of starch. Boiled for a little while, until a knife easily slid in. Left to cool and dry in the fridge. Tesco’s had ‘roast potato coating’ and ‘southern fried coating.’ Couldn’t choose so bought both, 60p each. :) Coat lightly in oil and tip a load of each coating in, thoroughly covering. Cook at 200dg until crispy on outside. Bloody lovely. :thumbsup:

Southern fried potatoes tonight. Yum.

Maris Pipers peeled chopped and thoroughly washed to get rid of starch. Boiled for a little while, until a knife easily slid in. Left to cool and dry in the fridge. Tesco’s had ‘roast potato coating’ and ‘southern fried coating.’ Couldn’t choose so bought both, 60p each. :) Coat lightly in oil and tip a load of each coating in, thoroughly covering. Cook at 200dg until crispy on outside. Bloody lovely. :thumbsup:
Tried this last night and very nice they were too. Today's trial baked potatoes started in the microwave finished in the air fryer... perfect.

Tried pork belly today and was a little disappointed in the skin not crisping up as mush as I thought it would.
Perhaps it had a little too much fat.
Still tasted great though.

Asparagus is another great food to fry in the air fryer. Just put a little oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder on them. Lovely.

Is anyone able to recommend a a model that would be suitable for 1-2 persons. Ideally no more than a £100.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is anyone able to recommend a a model that would be suitable for 1-2 persons. Ideally no more than a £100.

I was going to get the one Thug has linked to above but the price spiked when I was looking to buy - went up to nearly 100 quid. ‘Cos of that I got a Tower one from Tesco for 50 quid. Seems to do the job well enough. Model number is Tower T17024, now 45 quid at Argos. It’s got digital timer and temp control. They do a mechanical timer model for a tenner less.

I really must experiment a bit more with mine rather than just making chips all the time. They’re a useful gadget.

I really must experiment a bit more with mine rather than just making chips all the time.

I’ve made more chips and refined my method. :)

When drying the chips in the fridge after washing, I leave them wrapped in the tea towel. This drys them out even more. Dry potatoes in, mean crispy chips out. :smashin:

I’m sat here now reading this whilst eating air fried chips with chicken curry.

I just cut them, washed them, dried then with kitchen roll, oiled them with 'crisp and dry' in a bag then cooked them for 35 mins.
Very crispy and very lovely.

37D74808-E5AF-4D6F-89E7-2D418596A3E0.jpeg

^ that's all i really do in mine, chips! if you can get the Garlic wedges sachet you can add some flavour to them
best thing is you don't feel like it's unhealthy at all when they are air fried

Been thinking about getting an air fryer and have no idea about them at all.
Are they worth getting?
Which one would you recommend?
Been looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-Ele...866207&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=air+fryer&psc=1#

This actually looks like a good one. I've been looking at this one and the looks the same but the COSORI fryer looks more refined. I bet it's pricier too. Will be looking for cheaper ones, but glad I stumbled upon this thread!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom