Ajax Smart Home Alarm System Review & Comments

Thank you for this review @Greg Hook - it seems like a good middle ground just short of ADT/verisure services but a cut above YALE as they have stopped doing the SIM based alarms I believe. Stupid question but does the SIM connection need a phone provider subscription?

Thank you for this review @Greg Hook - it seems like a good middle ground just short of ADT/verisure services but a cut above YALE as they have stopped doing the SIM based alarms I believe. Stupid question but does the SIM connection need a phone provider subscription?

Thanks, the SIM can just be a pay as you go.

Doubt they will get many takers with an install price of around 4 x the unit cost.
Looks a lot as is not exactly rocket science to install.
Looks and sounds very good but would gall me to cough up so much money for what I would suggest a couple of hours work!

Doubt they will get many takers with an install price of around 4 x the unit cost.
Looks a lot as is not exactly rocket science to install.
Looks and sounds very good but would gall me to cough up so much money for what I would suggest a couple of hours work!

Upon seeing this article I was slightly worried that this was going to be a lot better than the Yale Smart Alarm I'd fitted recently. As you say at the cost increase I think I might still choose that as it was a breeze to install, works very well and I would not be happy to pay someone to do something so simple.

What happens when you want to change something, add a sensor etc? Do you have to pay for said installer to come out again?

Thanks for review @Greg Hook 👍
True! There are no logs of sensors when system is disarmed, but you can see in real time if door / window is open or closed.

What happens when you want to change something, add a sensor etc? Do you have to pay for said installer to come out again?
@anavfan you probably have to call security company who installed it for advice. In case you need additional sensor I would use retailers like ALDeals (www.aldeals.co.uk) or miecctv (www.miecctv.co.uk) 👍
Thanks for review @Greg Hook 👍
True! There are no logs of sensors when system is disarmed, but you can see in real time if door / window is open or closed.

I've got this and bought and fitted it myself. Was mega easy to purchase and fit, lots of places have it.

Its got LOADS of features and extras you can add over time to protect EVERYTHING and then some. Very very good product at a good price.

Being an ERA Smart home alarm elite user, I can honestly say it’s the best value kit out there, with could accessibility, back up SIM, and events logged for every single sensor. It’s also cost effective to scale out, with full control over zone definition, user sharing etc. Much better than Yale’s poor offerings, and no different to what’s on offer here it appears. It’s been in place 2.5 years, and I’ve so far had to change one PIR battery due to cold winters in the garage.

sounds good, exactly what I am looking for

I didnt see anywhere in the review which UK / European standards this alarm system was designed to meet.
I would have expected as a bare minimum that it would have been designed and manufactured to meet EN 50131 European Standards for Intruder Alarm Systems

Actually buried in an FAQ there is this

1594720388705.png

It seems today the newer alarm companies are more interested in 'bling' than actually advertising their product as being secure, which is what most professional installers would be looking for first.

This is not really a professional install product as it is available in at least one of the on-line 'security shed' retail companies

1594720600731.png

Overall it looks like an OK alarm system but I dont really see it being much better than something like a Pyronix Enforcer which is 1/3 of the price for almost the same functionality.

Some of their design is a little 'strange' to say the least

1594720825574.png

Not the most elegant solution for your battery backup,

Their outdoor siren (Street Siren) range is only IP 54 rated compared to most security companies SAB's which are IP 65. Being IP54 it will need some weather protection as it will not be fully waterproof

1594721386781.png

It really is comparable with The Pyronix or Yale line of alarms although their pricing tries to convince you otherwise.

Thanks for the review @Greg Hook

I have ripped out a pyronix enforcer and installed this and it makes an enforcer look like a dinosaur in terms of app control, battery life (sensors go into standby fully), smarter design, dual path comms etc - apart from regs that are baing adjusted there is not much I can find wrong with AJAX. Speak to www.cctvkits.co.uk if you want some ;-) (who are a trade wholeslaer first and foremost)

That holding page is a relic, there is a trade counter now instead of bike shop

An enforcer is not 1/3rd the price BTW - (it is very similarly priced trade supply only pricing) - and pyronix is more widely available via online sheds - including the one above.

Last edited:
Well horses for courses. I'll take a company who makes their outdoor products properly IP rated and who put their batteries in enclosures. I think I would rather have substance over (sic) style. Ill stick with my Honeywell Galaxy Flex.

@mushii

The units battery is inside, it doesn't have any external batteries at all, the picture is taken out of context. They are also now offering replacement internal batteries.

1594720825574.png

They have also just launched new new additional items such as the ability to add a legacy alarm infrastructure in and a new Hub 2 Plus that could be used for commercial places with both movement and picture functionality sensors being possible as well as the ability to add third party CCTV into the mix.

So far for me it has been outstanding compared to what I have used before. Was very easy to replace my existing alarm and setup everything and tweak things. I can add others with different codes and only give them certain features and they are constantly adding new functionality. They even have a page where you can suggest new features, things like IFTTT and more could be on the way for those that can take advantage of it.

No it isn't cheap but it has been completely faultless and if you need help and support its quick and really helpful and you certainly can't say that for others out there.

How can the picture be taken out of context, it’s from their website. It’s how they advertise their product. Or are you saying that Ajax don’t understand their own product range??? I am confused, either Ajax’s website is right or wrong.

I can't even find the picture on the website to comment to be honest, maybe they have removed it. The battery is built in as shown below and offers the 16hrs of backup if the goes down. Having had work done in the house recently and the power going off was impressed to see the APP alerting me to power issues in the house even when I was remote.

Power supply
110-240 V from mains or 12 V when using 12V PSU for Hub/Hub Plus/ReX
Built-in back-up battery: Li-Ion 2 А·h
Up to 16 hours of battery life when Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections are disabled
Energy consumption from the grid — 10 W

Not much to defend there - it not what it is in realty agree that looks poor. The battery is actually inside of the disk, no option to have anything external and those boards are just for 12v functionality if it was needed.

Hello, this is Amina from Ajax Systems. Would like to make clear a couple of points :)

Overall it looks like an OK alarm system but I dont really see it being much better than something like a Pyronix Enforcer which is 1/3 of the price for almost the same functionality.

There are differences between these 2 systems. For example, Ajax is much easier and faster to set up than Pyronix. Installers spend less time setting up Ajax, which allows them to close more deals. At the same time, clients get an operating system in less time.

Not the most elegant solution for your battery backup,

All Ajax hubs and ReX signal extenders have built-in batteries that allow them to operate for up to 16 hours during a blackout

The image you refer to illustrates one of the use cases - connecting a hub to 12V power supply via our newest 12V PSU. This allows to use Ajax for the protection of movable property without power supply (houses on wheels, vans and containers, trailers for horses, yachts, etc.).

There are differences between these 2 systems. For example, Ajax is much easier and faster to set up than Pyronix. Installers spend less time setting up Ajax, which allows them to close more deals. At the same time, clients get an operating system in less time.
Once the hardware is installed, I can set up an Pyronix Enforcer in 30-60 minutes from scratch for an average 3-4 bed house. I would be interested in how quickly you believe that you can program a similar Ajax system from scratch. If I am booked out for an install. a 30 minute time saving will make zero difference to my day as far as either the client or myself are concerned.

Once the hardware is installed

This is the key point 🙂 You can fully install and set up Ajax StarterKit and register all users accounts within 30 minutes.

You do not need to disassemble the device to add it to the system, change sensitivity level, or turn off LED indication. You even do not need to disassemble any Ajax the device to mount them. Because Ajax just have comfortable SmartBracket mounts.

This speeds up the process of installing and configuring the system significantly. Also, to change sensitivity level in Pyronix motion detectors you need to change the position of the jumper inside device body. With Ajax, you can change it in the application. For example, if your client lives in Manchester, but you on vacation in Brazil at the moment.

Had an Ajax system installed recently on the understanding that it was PET FRIENDLY.
Installer even went to the trouble of checking out the Ajax videos and information on how the PIR system works with pets and sending it to us to review.
System says it will not respond in ordinary circumstances to pets under 20kgs. Reassured we went ahead and booked an installation.

We have two young cats both under 4kgs. All PIR's set to LOWEST sensitivity. When we are out the cats only have access to Utility room and kitchen. Alarm has now been triggered, when we are out, 4 times by cats in areas only they can access. One PIR has been moved to an alternate wall position, all to no avail. We have a large kitchen and the cats are some distance from the PIR, yet the alarm is still triggered. Installer does not have an answer to our issue ! Buyer beware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom