All of a sudden............................

John7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EVERY time I reboot my Win 10 desktop, all my carefully arranged Icons get shoved over to the left!

I have no idea why this is happening as it's only just started doing it in the last couple of days.

I know there are programs that can snapshot you Icon layout and restore them (I have tried Desktop OK and that works) however I am frustrated that I have to resort to this every time now.

This is driving me mad and I wonder if anyone knows why this may be happening to me for the first time since running Win7 and then upgrading to Win 10 (i.e. quite a while).

Malware and virus scans reveal no problems, so I can only think it can be a recent Win update, but hove no idea what it is. A general internet search shows up lots of similar problems but dating back a few years, nothing recent.

Anyone else experience this recently or know a reason why and a possible fix so I can keep my sanity?

TIA

If you right click on the desktop and pick view do you have auto arrange icons ticked?

I read somewhere the other day that icon locations were stored in memory while running and then written to the registry when logging off so it may be unable to do the latter. Do you get the same behaviour if you log off and then log back on without shutting down?

No, I never have auto arrange selected. This has just started happening out of the blue. I have now resorted to having Desktop OK run at startup and that has "cured" the problem but I'd still like to know what has caused it to happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom