Am at a loss as to which 4K BluRay player to buy

craigt1971

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an OLED TV earlier in the year. I'm more than happy with the quality I get from Apple TV but thought I would invest in a 4K BluRay player as well.

But having read various threads on here, it seems all the (few remaining!) players all have one problem or another, and if manufacturers are pulling out the market, am I not making a wise investment?

I am wondering whether instead just to get a HD Blu-Ray player and get cheaper HD Blu-Rays which would still look better compared to my previous set-up.

I wouldn't need a player with Atmos etc. as live in a semi-detached house so can't have the volume too loud anyway, and am satisfied with the sound my LG tv gives anyway. Would want Dolby Vision

Last edited:
I bought an OLED TV earlier in the year. I'm more than happy with the quality I get from Apple TV but thought I would invest in a 4K BluRay player as well.

But having read various threads on here, it seems all the (few remaining!) players all have one problem or another, and if manufacturers are pulling out the market, am I not making a wise investment?

I am wondering whether instead just to get a HD Blu-Ray player and get cheaper HD Blu-Rays which would still look better compared to my previous set-up.

I wouldn't need a player with Atmos etc. as live in a semi-detached house so can't have the volume too loud anyway, and am satisfied with the sound my LG tv gives anyway. Would want Dolby Vision
Blu-rays discs don't have Dolby Vision so you would need UHD discs and a 4K player to get that.
What is your budget?

Blu-rays discs don't have Dolby Vision so you would need UHD discs and a 4K player to get that.
What is your budget?

Sorry, meant to say I knew Blu-ray Discs wouldn't have 4K and DV, but with the improved upscaling and colour reproduction from an OLED would I notice an increase in quality from Blu-Ray anyway (and those discs are a lot cheaper). Budget is around £300

A sideways option.

Rip them and store them digitally, play them back on your AppleTV.

The AppleTV 4K won't play Atmos files on your own content but you don't seem to be bothered about that.
Dolby Vision is an issue but you'd still get HDR10 or you can get Dolby Vision but are restricted to basic DD5.1 instead of the HD Audio formats.

I think UHD discs have a while in them yet, you only have to look how popular they are on these forums and all the movies that are getting the 4k makeover, for example Back to the Future trilogy, jaws and so on.
I have an Oppo203, perhaps look on the classifieds on here for a player?

Standard blu rays upscaled to 4K by the TV will look very good indeed, certainly better than streamed 4K content on most occasions. UHD discs with HDR or DV can look absolutely superb providing you're willing to part with an average of £25 for a new title.

There are plenty of good 4K players now available and that is usually what you will find in dealers as they are all backward compatible for blu ray and DVD. All depends on how deep your pockets are. Some of the high end players from Pioneer are suffering badly from the effects of the pandemic and there is a waiting list for them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom