Question Am i pushing in my in ear headphones too far?

Forzafan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have struggled all my life with the in ear headphones as they ALWAYS fall out due to my ear shape but i bought some last week from amazon

Amazon product ASIN B07DPJVN6P
and i have pushed them in and twisted as far as they can go and they are fine and don't fall out unless i do vigorous head shaking. All good! Except I'm now worried its because maybe I've pushed them in too far. When they are in, I cannot hear any external noise and the noise of me swallowing or clearing my throat is very clear like when you have water in your ears or I guess when you have ear buds in at night time to drown out snoring (not that I ever have). It is not uncomfortable at all, and doesn't hurt during or after having them in, but having never got a pair to fit before, coupled with the external sound blackout, i'm now thinking I must be doing something wrong. Please either reassure me or save my hearing!!

A good seal should feel comfortable without undue pressing against your ear canals. Pressure is a sign of the tips being too big

What you are describing is precisely how passive sound isolation is intended to work. It is the same principle as ear plugs. When music is playing the environmental noise should be greatly reduced. Be in the habit of looking in both directions when on foot :cool:

many thanks for your replies, you have reassured me that what I am experiencing is normal - its just 20 years of thinking they weren't made for me led me to be a bit cautious! Thank god for these though its great being able to listen wire/obstruction free at last and with the bonus that they were only £30! cheers

You can try using foam tips such as Comply or InAirs if you have fit trouble. I can only use in-ears with foams.

You can get custom ear moulds made by an audiologist. They are comfortable, consistent in fit, noise occluding. It’s a hybrid solution. Something between headphones with choice of generic tips and custom made IEMs.

Whilst ppl are only trying to help, purchasing comply foam tips at around £15 a pack or more expensive custom moulds for £40 budget wireless ear buds is disproportionate spend

Reading your initial post, I would suggest that if they meet in the middle of your skull , the answer is a probable YES.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom