Am I The Bad Guy Here?

^ That link throws up a BIG WARNING about privacy on my Web Browser.....

View attachment 1365332
Neighbour has parked these 2 caravans on their driveway. I dont like it. They don't go anywhere and seem to be used as spare rooms when guests come to stay. I want them to take them away. We don't get on too well so I can't discuss it with them.

My Mum used to live in Brereton Close in Beverley and you could see a flag like that out of her front window. Am I close ? 🤔

My Mum used to live in Brereton Close in Beverley and you could see a flag like that out of her front window. Am I close ? 🤔

tenor.gif

Dig up the bed and plant a row of sizeable laurels. They grow really quick if fed and watered.

It's unlawful for them to have a cctv camera which is pointed at your bedroom window, (a bit late now as the tree might circumvent the objection?)
There was a thread on here not long ago about this, I can't find it but if you can I recommend you read it.
On the other side of the same argument you'll need video evidence if the vans are being used as a permanent residence (i.e occupants sleeping in them).
I think you need a video security camera pointing in that direction...

View attachment 1365332
Neighbour has parked these 2 caravans on their driveway. I dont like it. They don't go anywhere and seem to be used as spare rooms when guests come to stay. I want them to take them away. We don't get on too well so I can't discuss it with them.

My thoughts are that it may be illegal without planning permission. I know that friend's of mine had a major extension done on their house, so they brought in a caravan to live in for 9-12 months whilst construction was under way. They had to get additional planning permission for the caravan over and above what was required for the extension, even though it was a very large garden and the caravan was going to be placed behind trees and virtually invisible to neighbours. They were granted temporary permission on the understanding it was removed after the house extension was completed.

There's also an on-going case where 'travellers' purchased a large piece of ground and moved in several caravans to live in permanently. They were arguing that they own the land, why can't they live in them. But you need permission to change the use of the land.

It is one thing to park your caravan up for the Winter, but they have TWO permanently based caravans which they use for added accommodation. I'm sure they need planning permission.

Gather evidence such as they are connected to power and show that there are lights on at night with people living in them.

Good luck because they are an eyesore.

In the States, we have zoning laws. Check with your local city/village. They may have some laws regarding storage of units like this. I feel for you. These are not something I would want to look at. Destroys your view and also loss of privacy.

This is really tricky, the flag looks pretty dodgy to me and I wonder how these guys would be if you alerted the council etc. Things could get way worse - you only need to see the idiots on the "nightmare neighbours" programmes. Getting those moved may be a hollow victory compared to what could follow if they blame you.

I have every sympathy for a very tricky situation. Moving might be a problem too - one look at your neighbours front garden would be a red flag.

Last edited:
This is really tricky, the flag looks pretty dodgy to me and I wonder how these guys would be if you alerted the council etc. Things could get way worse - you only need to see the idiots on the "nightmare neighbours" programmes. Getting those moved may be a hollow victory compared to what could follow if they blame you.

I have every sympathy for a very tricky situation. Moving might be a problem too - one look at your neighbours front garden would be a red flag.
Worst case if it's impacting your well-being would be to put your house up for auction.

get some miracle grow on those miniature leylandii, and voila, instant fence/annoying the neighbours

Agreed, just let those little conifers grow and your problem is hidden from your view. If you have more money and less patience you could just buy some bigger hedging and plant it now.

1600526118356.png

Too tall??? Not subtle enough? Hmph! I expect to see a photo of similar size hedging in place by the end of the week or I'll be disappointed TBH. You could buy some 5ft tall ones and once they get their roots down they will be away!

Seriously.
Tall fence with Trellis painted colour you like.

Also a good solution if it's allowed. If any of your neighbours have 6ft+ fences then should be no problem.

If the fence belongs to the neighbour you could suggest adding a trellis on the top 'for the privacy of their friends & family sleeping in the vans'.

Looks like you've already planted conifers along your fence. They'll soon grow up (if they're the right variety) & the problem will disappear. Life's too short to get stressed over this.

This seems a good solution as well: Ivy screen (Hedera helix 'Woerner') 220cm high 120cm wide

Plants are my go to solution to views from or of my house that I don't like. The man in the bungalow behind our house seemed to like sitting in his conservatory watching my wife in our back bedroom. Always seemed to be sitting looking in our direction. Maybe he likes watching me IDK, not really the point LOL! No we don't stand there naked or anything and he could be just chilling out but it's still creepy. Anyway the point is we went out and bought a large red robin and it's grown a bit and starting to do it's job. They are on slightly higher land so I also put up a new 6ft6 fence and the shrub at nearly 3mtrs is starting is now covering his viewing position as seen from our window:

IMG_20200315_121100-crop.jpg

Funny thing is is he doesn't seem to like sitting there any more. Good!

You have all the information you need, you have the town the district and the county council to advise you, the sensible advice here has already been given and the twelve councillors local to you are listed on the town council's web pages.

Each local town council has a planning committee, they will know the local bylaws, and you have the deeds to your property so how about you take the necessary steps, avoid the "they did this, they did that, they did the other" tittle tattle, you'll get short shrift, put back in your box if you go down that route with any of your three councils, and rightly so, from any official whom you speak with?

If you think you are not up to the task, or think you'll likely make things worse, go and talk with a solicitor. Your language is combative, unhelpful and inflammatory, so I would advise you seek wise counsel, a trusted friend or colleague with no vested interests to assist you.

Don't go into any email correspondence all heavy handed, you'll need a paper trail, a route to explore your options and rights. Make an appointment to have a chat with someone from the town council's housing / planning committee and have your title deeds available beforehand.

Plant some fast growing cedars along your side of the fence.
Alternatively, plant some really stinky shrubs then sell your house and move elsewhere.

If I go to view your house and see that I am getting back in the car. One caravan says enough. Sweeping assumption about caravan owners? Too blooming right.

Staycation at its best :D

Another pov

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom