Amazon Music HD + Heos + iOS + on Denon AVR-X3500H

Joao Marques

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I got a Amazon HD subscription today and am trying to stream to my Denon AVR - X3500H through an iPhone / iPad. It works fine through the Heos app - no issues. However, if I try to stream through the Amazon Music App I am unable to connect. If I select the Alexa device set up through an Heos connection it tells me that the device is already playing music and asks me if I want to replace it:

1- If I say "Yes" - it tells me: "Sorry, your device has just disconnected." and goes back to the device selection screen.
2- If I say "No, see what's playing" - it connects but I am unable to control it (no play, next, previous etc. - nothing works)

Is anyone suffering from this and have you find a solution?

Thanks!

Amazon Music HD, Echo and Denon do not work currently, its a known flaw. I have exactly the same setup.

I use my Echo with a slimline Marantz AVR and have it connected via bluetooth. Saying 'Alexa - bluetooth on' switches on the amp and sends the echo audio to it, saying 'Alexa - bluetooth off' sends the audio back to the echo speaker.

Maybe that helps you?

My echo will do that with Amazon Music and Spotify but not with Amazon Music HD

The idea is to use the setup I described to stream Ultra HD music. Works fine through the HEOS app but the interface is not the best so I was looking forward to use the Amazon app to that effect.

The method I describe works with all audio. It's set up in the Alexa app. Use the amp as a Bluetooth speaker for the echo.

The problem streaming Amazon Music HD from an echo device, via Bluetooth is it is only A2DP/SBC so you pretty much lose the value of HD service using low bitrate bluetooth

Ah, I didn't know that. This set up is in my open plan kitchen / office / dining room area, so not critical. Does that mean that bluetooth streaming can not handle good quality high bitrate music files?

It can if your devices support aptX, LDAC or one of the higher bit rate codecs. T

So, I got a Amazon HD subscription today and am trying to stream to my Denon AVR - X3500H through an iPhone / iPad. It works fine through the Heos app - no issues. However, if I try to stream through the Amazon Music App I am unable to connect. If I select the Alexa device set up through an Heos connection it tells me that the device is already playing music and asks me if I want to replace it:

1- If I say "Yes" - it tells me: "Sorry, your device has just disconnected." and goes back to the device selection screen.
2- If I say "No, see what's playing" - it connects but I am unable to control it (no play, next, previous etc. - nothing works)

Is anyone suffering from this and have you find a solution?

Thanks!
Hi, I have just experienced a similar issue which I believe the previous responses don’t appreciate or are conflating the restrictions with those the Heos app suffers with Amazon Music/HD.
I’m pretty sure I haven’t had this problem until very recently. I have a Heos Link HS2 plugged into my Linn amp, and have the Alexa Heos skill enabled. Using Alexa with the Heos as preferred speaker in a smart home group, or as a target for casting from the Amazon Music app, I can play happily from Amazon Music except for the particular case of playing music I have uploaded to Amazon Music in their now retired upload service. For those tracks, Alexa repeats my request twice then says there’s a problem, or the Amazon Music App tells me the Heos disconnected when I try to connect to it for casting. The uploaded tracks play happily on my echos and from the Amazon Music app, just not via Heos. The Heos link quite happily plays streaming tracks no matter where initiated. I can’t see why Heos should have an issue with a stream url it’s handed, no matter whether the track had been uploaded to Amazon Music or otherwise.
I’m pretty sure this had been ok up until recently as I can’t recall it happening before, but then again, it might have been a while since I played an uploaded track that isn’t also in the streaming service.
I’ve bug reported it to both Denon and Amazon, but usually find it hard for either of them to truly understand issues without blaming each other.
It’s interesting that there have been two Heos firmware upgrades in recent weeks that purport to fix issues with Alexa and Google....

As an adjunct, last weekend I also had the issue of it telling me something was already playing on my Heos and I couldn’t shift it - it still showed the track I had been playing hours later even after I had managed to play stuff in between. It just seemed to resolve itself after a few hours.
My gut feeling is that Denon have really messed up the Heos firmware :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom