Amazon Prime's My Spy Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I would have probably watched it anyway, but after that review, I'm definitely watching it sooner rather than later. Sounds like good fun :thumbsup:

Thanks Cas,
Not showing on Amazon.de Prime yet - they are probably still recording the German Track. I love Dave Bautista - can't remember if it was before or after or in-between the GOTG Movies, but I thought he was perfect in Blade Runner 2049

Didn’t fancy this at all but it sounds like good, clean fun for the family. :)

Also useful if you don’t want to risk your 7 year old asking during the film “what‘s a vagina?” (If I showed my boys Kindergarten Cop)

I have to say and I generally concur with Cas’s reviews, but this was utter pony. As generic as generic gets. Competently put together, however, completely lacking anything close to an original thought of its own, to the point they even make a ‘joke’ about it and whilst we’re on the subject of jokes, there are none, not a single funny moment in the entire film. Dave’s dad dancing raised a smile and that’s as good as it got. Had it managed a handful of guffaws, I could’ve forgiven the familiarity but it didn’t.
4/10

I have to say and I generally concur with Cas’s reviews, but this was utter pony. As generic as generic gets. Competently put together, however, completely lacking anything close to an original thought of its own, to the point they even make a ‘joke’ about it and whilst we’re on the subject of jokes, there are none, not a single funny moment in the entire film. Dave’s dad dancing raised a smile and that’s as good as it got. Had it managed a handful of guffaws, I could’ve forgiven the familiarity but it didn’t.
4/10

I’d give it about 6. I enjoyed it without being anything amazing. It desperately sags in the middle act after the initial joke of JJ playing childminder wears off. There are two (for me) standout funny moments:

1. Bobbi inadvertently throwing the dagger into Bautista’s thigh - which is ripped off Kung Fu Hustle

2. Sophie’s mum kicking JJ in the balls after she mistakes him for some of pedo

I have to say and I generally concur with Cas’s reviews, but this was utter pony. As generic as generic gets. Competently put together, however, completely lacking anything close to an original thought of its own, to the point they even make a ‘joke’ about it.
4/10

Thats the point of it, barnaby jones. Its a piss take on previous. A skit and skimmer on all that have gone before it and so is a total parody of them and makes it bloody obvious.

Thats the point of it, barnaby jones. Its a piss take on previous. A skit and skimmer on all that have gone before it and so is a total parody of them and makes it bloody obvious.

0635D7ED-803C-468B-9184-B9CCD9849123.jpeg

The only sequences that border on parody for me were the opening one and the final one. That in my book does not qualify the film as a parody.
That said, it’s described as an action film when it has 2 action scenes. It’s described as a comedy when nothing funny happens. So yeah i guess parody is fine.....

I trust Cas, I like Bautista. Will give this a go. If it’s even Kindergarten Cop lite it’ll be fun!

I hadn't read this review beforehand, so when SWMBO started idly watching this last night I couldn't help but watch it too. I thought is was surprisingly good, deliberately cheesy, and really funny. An eight from me too.

Thanks for the review, which prompted us to watch it tonight. Kids enjoyed it with plenty of laughs from them. Harmless family fun.

I finished watching this last night. Completely implausible and very funny with lots of laughs, it hams itself up big-style.

A solid 8/10 and I'll be watching it again. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately Cas I need to bring in Ron on this one. Whose hacked your account? :laugh:

believe.gif

I’d give it 8. I watched It with my wife and we were both smiling most of the way through. Much better than I was expecting.

Yeah similar here nice easy watch for me & the wife, laughed a lot, 8/10 for me. Not seen either leads before so no expectations.
Side note the "partner" plays similar part on The Flight of the Conchords tv series, liked her as well.

I watched it today, it's a fun film, not too long, although there is really no threat from the villain. As mentioned it feels like a self-aware update on Kindergarten Cop with some laugh out loud moments. There's great chemistry with DB and the little girl.

The review states it is 4K but I could only get 1080p with HDR on my LG app and the resolution kept dropping to a pixelated mess. This is a regular occurrence with the Amazon Prime app and one of the many reasons I hate streaming despite having a fast, wired connection.

I watched it today, it's a fun film, not too long, although there is really no threat from the villain. As mentioned it feels like a self-aware update on Kindergarten Cop with some laugh out loud moments. There's great chemistry with DB and the little girl.

Yes its a good and funny watch. Great writing.

watched tonight, laugh out loud funny in places, would happily watch again. The young girl is a great actress.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom