Amazon Ultra HD Music and HEOS

Roscovitch

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I've been reading various threads and can't seem to find an answer to this specific problem. So it's like this: I have a Denon X4500H with a HEOS account. I have a Amazon Ultra HD account and can stream in HD directly from an iPhone X using the Amazon HD Music App but in HD quality but not in Ultra HD. Now this is what confuses me............using the (not very intuitive) HEOS app on the same iPhone I can stream "Ultra" HD files from Amazon but I can't from Amazons own app. Now on Amazons website it says this about the iPhone and Amazon Ultra HD Music.........

"Most iPhones and iPads released since 2014 (devices running on iOS 11, or later) can support HD/Ultra HD (up to 24-bit, 48kHz) without any additional equipment. In order to play songs at higher sample rates (96 or 192 kHz), iPhone customers can connect an external DAC capable of supporting those higher sample rates".

So that being said........it sounds as if Amazon are saying that the iPhone can't pass on Ultra HD streams unless a DAC capable of doing so is attached...........If that is what they are saying how come the iPhone X can pass Ultra HD to my Denon X4500H via HEOS on the same iPhone without having to add a DAC to the phone?

Thanks for anyone knowledgeable out there that cares to enlighten me about this and if I do indeed need to add a DAC to the iPhone could you please recommend an excellent candidate?

Thanks.

The iphone is just a controller when using HEOS, the Denon is doing the streaming & DAC function & will support Ultra HD. When you are using the iphone to stream as advised you will need an add on DAC to do Ultra HD without loss.

I can't even get my playlists to play from Amazon HD on my Denon X8500 HEOS app, just keeps saying something went wrong?

I live in hope heos(Denon) moves a bit faster and gets qobuz on its list, apparently its in the works, whatever that means in terms of turnaround and if it works better than amazon then it'll be adios.

I can't even get my playlists to play from Amazon HD on my Denon X8500 HEOS app, just keeps saying something went wrong?
Unfortunately you still can't play Amazon Music personal playlists on HEOS. Was told 8 months ago by Denon that they were 'working on it' but alas still nothing.

Just subscribed to Amazon HD, very impressed with the sound quality in Ultra HD. To my ears, found it better than Tidal. Has anyone found a workaround on how to get the Heos app to play your Amazon playlist?

The iphone is just a controller when using HEOS, the Denon is doing the streaming & DAC function & will support Ultra HD. When you are using the iphone to stream as advised you will need an add on DAC to do Ultra HD without loss.
I've searched for hours trying to find this answer @mickbirch2000 thanks.

I downloaded Heos app last night together with an Amazon Music HD trial for my new Marantz amp. I've been trying to find out if the amp is doing the streaming or the phone/app and everywhere just kept saying 'Heos app streams blah blah' so if it is the amp doing the work I'm assuming as my amp is ethernet connected I shouldn't really struggle with and downsampling/bandwidth issues.

I'm very impressed with the quality so far but the Heos app is pretty awkward at times. I cannot really find a way to search for Ultra HD tracks, the search function is pretty useless. I found msyelf looking at amazon music app and searching then going to Heos app so I knew what artists to look for.

I'm assuming there is still no way to get 3D tracks without having an Amazon Studio?

A month ago 90% of my music at home was SACD, DVD-A and music BDs, then a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to pick up a Linn active front end (Isobariks and sparks/lk280s and a Genki CD) and I was blown away by CDs and here I am now being amazed by music streaming, not something I ever considered other than using Echos to stream the radio and music for background noise in the house.

Just subscribed to Amazon HD, very impressed with the sound quality in Ultra HD. To my ears, found it better than Tidal. Has anyone found a workaround on how to get the Heos app to play your Amazon playlist?
Nope. Was told by Denon a year ago they were going to impliment it. Still waiting...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom