Amazon's Little Fires Everywhere Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

I’ll give it a look. Thanks for the review. I will admit, though, that ‘a drama about mothers and families’ probably isn’t for me since I have neither. I was birthed in a podule and have no reproductive organs.

I watched/endured the first 3 episodes and found my toes curling at the white apologist crap on display. It was eggshells all the way, as Witherspoon's white character/s had to take all manner of snide and double standards from Washington's rotten egg smelling facial looks and comments, even when being offered help and advantage. It's positive and justified discrimination when it suits, that's always because of the past but oh so present still. Uhuh.
It consistently has racism, slurs etc. from Washington teaching her naive daughter 'how white people really are', as well as the supposedly 'obviously two-faced guilty white's' within just lurking to abuse innocent and good-natured black people. Any past crimes or bad behaviour are similarly justifiable when it comes to Washington's character and why, oh you know why and it's probably your fault...

I watched/endured the first 3 episodes and found my toes curling at the white apologist crap on display. It was eggshells all the way, as Witherspoon's white character/s had to take all manner of snide and double standards from Washington's rotten egg smelling facial looks and comments, even when being offered help and advantage. It's positive and justified discrimination when it suits, that's always because of the past but oh so present still. Uhuh.
It consistently has racism, slurs etc. from Washington teaching her naive daughter 'how white people really are', as well as the supposedly 'obviously two-faced guilty white's' within just lurking to abuse innocent and good-natured black people. Any past crimes or bad behaviour are similarly justifiable when it comes to Washington's character and why, oh you know why and it's probably your fault...
Completely agree, maybe in America the racism against white people is acceptable. I don't think it translates very well.

Watched the first two episodes and just found it rather dull. Won’t be continuing. I found the racism issues all a bit contrived.

The race baiting division the americans are obsessed with leaves me cold. This show sounds like it's full of it.
I have read the original book cover to cover but have only watched the first two episodes of this onscreen adaptation because John Wick on Amazon Prime was my Saturday evening viewing. There is juxtaposition for you :D

Whilst every onscreen adaptation of a book applies creative licence to reflect the different mediums, the television show certainly plays up race and identity front and centre from the beginning.

In contrast the book reader has no reason to think about the colour of the main characters, not until around the halfway mark in the book and not for the reasons portrayed by the television show from the first episode.

This review contains a brief acknowledgement the race of the characters was not prominent in the original book. Despite this I am unclear whether the reviewer has read the original book.

The book's decision to keep race in the background was perhaps deliberate to challenge the reader's own assumptions about who is the protagonist and antagonist and their motivations. The book is all the better for it. The character development in the book is the best part. When the reader realises the two families and other characters are different races that is much more dramatic as until that moment of realisation you have no reason to interpret the book's events through the prism of race.

Granted skin colour is impossible to avoid seeing onscreen but the director could have tailored the script and dialogue accordingly.

Mrs Richardson is a person who plans her life. The more the reader learns about the past story of each character as present day life events unfold, it is Mrs Richardson for all her need to be in control who is the person who does not truly know the closest people in her life. Bad communication and presumptions leads to unintended consequence.

I do not think the base story is original, however, the subtle differences between the book and television show does affect the dramatic impact of the story. Regardless of whether or not you have read the original book, I can perfectly see why the television show is not for everyone given the creative decisions for the onscreen adaptation.

I'm certainly intrigued now, I must be honest!

Watched the whole season and really enjoyed it, thanks for the review.

The one thing that let the show down in some scenes and I could not quite put my finger on what it was but summed up perfectly by encaser

"...Washington's rotten egg smelling facial looks..."

Only watched it because of Reese, it's ok, apart from Washington facial expressions sometimes.
Don't really know what's going on there and the race issue... well, on that it does not come across that well but race never does, does it?

We watched the 1st two last night. Was OK. The wife likes it so we will watch the lot (I've been making her watch stuff I want to watch lately so only fair).

I was only half paying attention, there was two passes of the ISS that I had to pop into the garden to watch :laugh:

About 4 episodes in and tbh it comes across as class bashing for the sake of it. No thanks.
I don't see any crimes (yet) and tbh the constant 'middle class is bad, working class is good' is just such a blunt weapon I can do without.

We finished it, but I'll be honest I got bored fairly early on and didn't really pay enough attention to score it.

My wife enjoyed it though, so at least someone got something out of it.

We are watching this now, I go from being intrigued to annoyed to bored. I’ll keep on with it though.

We finished it, but I'll be honest I got bored fairly early on and didn't really pay enough attention to score it.

My wife enjoyed it though, so at least someone got something out of it.

My wife liked it as well. She raced through it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom