Amazon's Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Premiere Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas. On our watch list for Tonight. We are big Expanse fans, so slow-building is fine by us!

Thanks Cas looking forward to this

4k version? Dolby Atmos? Had a quick look but can't see, which is unsurprising given Amazon

Thanks Cas looking forward to this

4k version? Dolby Atmos? Had a quick look but can't see, which is unsurprising given Amazon

Nada. But still looks pretty slick. We should be grateful it's not E4.

No 4K / HDR. Prime normally split the UHD and HD versions as separate entries with the UHD getting HDR. Atmos is Jack Ryan and Carnival Row only.

Recent Prime 4K

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nada. But still looks pretty slick. We should be grateful it's not E4.
Pretty disappointing, but it's a CBS All Access show, so not really Amazon's fault. Will watch tonight. Pretty excited as I'm a massive Trekker.

I have been a Trek fan since star trek first burst onto our screens in 68 I think it was. That said never a fan of generations far too much soul searching, much prefer Discoverys, kill em all and blow up everything take.
Never really liked Patrick Stewart as an actor although enjoyed him in Logan, just not a lot of fun far too stiff!
that said will be glued tonight and hoping time has improved his acting and storylines.

Thank you Cas for the review. A minor suggestion. Perhaps you could consider including format type on the main screen review page which is relevant to AV members such as: SDR/HDR, ATMOS, 4K.
Based on time of review because Amazon sometimes add HDR version a few days later.

only a suggestion

4853C252-1530-464D-A098-9FB2ED73AA57.jpeg

Last edited:
Never really liked Patrick Stewart as an actor although enjoyed him in Logan, just not a lot of fun far too stiff!
that said will be glued tonight and hoping time has improved his acting and storylines.
Personally, I liked his take on the Captain - it was a good foil to the other Characters, allowing Riker to in some ways play the Kirk Character.
The only time Stewart annoys me is when he tries to be funny in speeches or interviews; not one of his best skills :)
But, yeah, very excited to watch this!!!

True. A missed opportunity all the same.
Yep I agree. We are re-watching The Expanse right from the beginning at the moment (two episodes shy of finishing Season 2 right now). We have Seasons 1-3 on Apple TV, & they look great, but these 4K versions on Amazon are a whole new level!

Personally, I liked his take on the Captain - it was a good foil to the other Characters, allowing Riker to in some ways play the Kirk Character.
The only time Stewart annoys me is when he tries to be funny in speeches or interviews; not one of his best skills :)
But, yeah, very excited to watch this!!!
Yeah Riker was good, I often find and don't ask me why , could be the larger pool of talent, who knows that quite often American actors are more believable and easier in these types of roles.

Yeah Riker was good, I often find and don't ask me why , could be the larger pool of talent, who knows that quite often American actors are more believable and easier in these types of roles.
Got to say, when it comes to Sci Fi, IMO Canada has been especially good regarding excellent Actors in Films & Series.

Agree with the 7/10 - a solid, if unspectacular start to the series. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses though.

Bring on the wave of Nostalgia

While half way through watching this, I said to my wife: If this was Star wars, we would have had 10 former crew members on screen by now.....
Thankfully, it has been a little more subtle with the easter eggs etc.

Thank you Cas for the review. A minor suggestion. Perhaps you could consider including format type on the main screen review page which is relevant to AV members such as: SDR/HDR, ATMOS, 4K.
Based on time of review because Amazon sometimes add HDR version a few days later.

Thats a very definite positive suggestion as it would stop threads getting clogged up with questions like -
Is it in UHD 4K?
Is it in UHD 4K?
Is it in UHD 4K?
Is it in HDR?
What? only 1080P? No way!
What? Only 1080p HDR? Arrrgggh!

Cheers Cas, because tech specs at point of review would be really appreciated.

Cheers Cas, I'm holding out for 4 or 5 episodes to air before I start, but very much looking forward to it.

I have been a Trek fan since star trek first burst onto our screens in 68 I think it was. That said never a fan of generations far too much soul searching, much prefer Discoverys, kill em all and blow up everything take.

Stop being a sourpuss and get onboard the hype train. Choo chooooo! :rotfl:

I enjoyed the opener and would say the best way I found to describe the emotion was one of comfort. Sure it has some nice action set pieces but it's initially pretty much all about being in the company of Picard and his story telling that leads to the major end reveal.
There's nothing wrong with that as a foothold and the trailers certainly suggest interests will pan out to the wider issues and story. And, of course, the familiar characters surfacing to tread the boards for the new.
On reflection, I;d have to add a sense of relief that it really has the potential to open up and didn't feel too much like a one trick pony. After all, Picard wasn't the be and end all of TNG - even if it's his moniker this time at the helm.

only a suggestion

View attachment 1249019

Having only recently jumped aboard with a 4K HDR tv, I must say I don't like how Amazon catalogue their content - on Netflix, I get one instance of a show, in the best format for the hardware I'm watching on....on Prime, separate HD and 4K listings and no alignment of last point/episode watched if swapping TVs halfway through an episode/series.

First world problems, but if Netflix can make it easy, surely Amazon can too? Unless I'm missing an option somewhere that someone can tell me about.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom