Amazon's The Professor and the Madman Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Another non HDR item added by Amazon. I think they have given up with HDR.

You couldn’t be clean shaven in this Movies era. Would be considered female if no facial hair.

Though I am yet to see this film the subject does fit into Mel Gibson's obsession with intellectual complexity.
Sean Penn is also a highly intelligent guy, I'm sure that the two actors working together would have got the insanity bit to a realistically high level and had a few late nights working the script too.

Thanks for the Review Cas. I will definitely catch this.
Can't help thinking of the Blackadder episode "Ink & Incapability" where Dr. Samuel Johnson (Robbie Coltrane) asks the Regent for his patronage for writing his Dictionary :D
1584690673851.png

Though I am yet to see this film the subject does fit into Mel Gibson's obsession with intellectual complexity.
Sean Penn is also a highly intelligent guy, I'm sure that the two actors working together would have got the insanity bit to a realistically high level and had a few late nights working the script too.
The trouble is once Mel Gibson has had a few sherries his obsession with intellectual complexity goes right out of the window.At that point the only dictionary needed to understand his language is the urban one.

The trouble is once Mel Gibson has had a few sherries his obsession with intellectual complexity goes right out of the window.At that point the only dictionary needed to understand his language is the urban one.
...mostly if you're wearing a Highway Patrol uniform

Watched it some months ago, good movie and cast.
Film works for me, enjoy anything history related (loosely) pinch of salt.......
Gibson and that beard must have some off another set :)

7/10 again....

I too watched this a long while back and really quite enjoyed it. It's a rainy Sunday afternoon film and taking that into account it's an 8/10 from me.

Can I just add, Sausage :thumbsup:

I too watched this a long while back and really quite enjoyed it. It's a rainy Sunday afternoon film and taking that into account it's an 8/10 from me.

Can I just add, Sausage :thumbsup:

Just watched it and really enjoyed it. Also 8/10 for me

Got around to watching this last night.

Thought it was a really good film and Penn's performance was just fantastic. Can't say I really share any of the opinions saying it was a mess or was lacking, made perfect sense to me. Didn't go in knowing the story so was a nice surprise.

Also anything with Natalie Dormer in it also automatically gets a higher rating *cough* ;).

I'd give it a solid 7.5/10 and maybe even an 8/10 on a good day if I was feeling generous.

G

We just watched this (Took a while to get to it). A Solid 9/10 from us, but we do both love Words & Films set in this era. Penn & Gibson were fabulous, as were Natalie Dormer & Jennifer Ehle. And always good to see Coogan in a serious role.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom