Amazon's The Vast of Night Movie Review & Comments

Nice and different but unfortunately fails to deliver. But....
Anyone else think they didn’t get abducted but got incinerated. Pile of ash covering the tape recorder...the radio station was WOTW. Ring a bell. War Of The Worlds.
Or am I stating the obvious as everyone noticed?

I noticed and have to admit it made me smile when I saw it. I assumed it's something most would notice as long as their nose isn't in their phone

Nice and different but unfortunately fails to deliver. But....
Anyone else think they didn’t get abducted but got incinerated. Pile of ash covering the tape recorder...the radio station was WOTW. Ring a bell. War Of The Worlds.
Or am I stating the obvious as everyone noticed?
I agree
I think they knew too much, as did the Son, & they got dusted

There an other on Amazon with the same name first 15 minutes some guy walking round a hall with some sports players warming up and I thought what a gobshite, it just reminded me of one of them click bait where they found a cure for something and you watch for 30 minutes before they get round to the snake oil their selling, only this 80 min before they got to the snake oil or as in this case an extremely poor ending.
Lucky for me I fell asleep part way though so was not a full wasted 90 minutes.
Anyway if you start watch in one and a guy ends up with a trombone early on that the bad one :rolleyes: :rotfl:

I didn't get too far into this as it was winding up the missus. One thing that did concern me was the initial scene going into the TV set. There was a long sequence of low contrast strobing effects that i would have thought was a epilectics nightmare with no warning. I'm not up on those things but if i recall correctly black and white stobe/flashing isn't anywhere near as bad as light grey/dark grey strobing which this had. not sure if that was just an issue with the HDR version.

I didn't get too far into this as it was winding up the missus. One thing that did concern me was the initial scene going into the TV set. There was a long sequence of low contrast strobing effects that i would have thought was a epilectics nightmare with no warning. I'm not up on those things but if i recall correctly black and white stobe/flashing isn't anywhere near as bad as light grey/dark grey strobing which this had. not sure if that was just an issue with the HDR version.
I'm sure there is some guidline border for this (Not to say any guideline is correct). I'm not a fan of strobes, having had damage done to my retina by one years ago. But this didn't feel OTT.

Started watching the UHD version on Amazon and the picture quality looked awful, as if someone had turned the brightness control up so that black was grey. Could not stand to watch it so turned off after 5 mins.

Many thanks for the review, I agree with the 8 and your summing up about the best Twilight Episode you've never seen.

Thought the acting for the most part top notch and still can't work out (and don't want to know) if the sweeping shot through the town was real, a model, cgi or all 3?

One gripe though, we have never heard such lazy unclear speaking from the main male lead (the DJ) and nearly gave up after a few minutes, opting instead to turn the subtitles on?!? Maybe it was his accent maybe it was us but we do notice some programmes seemingly across all streaming channels and various devices vary greatly in the understandableness of their dialogue channel?

I thought the direction and acting by everyone concerned was top notch.
If the budget truly was 700k it is truly amazing what the director and his team did for the money.
Glad I watched it as I will keep an eye out for the director in the future.
Some of the Hollywood big boys should be ashamed of themselves with the money they waste on mindless drivel.
The only directors I really look out for are Denis Villeneuve and Joseph Kosinski.
I will be adding Andrew Patterson to that list.
Thanks for bringing him to my attention Cas.
Exactly my current thoughts on all points, thank you for posting!

The end of the film lost me a little,
yes there was a UFO but what happened to the couple observing it, I think I must have fallen asleep for a minute.

mod edit: please don’t spoil it for others. Use spoiler tags where necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
yes there was a UFO but what happened to the couple observing it
, I think I must have fallen asleep for a minute.

Well there was a covering of ash left on the ground...

And you should probably add some spoiler tags to your post. :)

Watched this and to be quite honest I thought it was below average at best. I like my SciFi stuff but this was bordering on unbearable at times, in the end I gave up after half an hour. If I am not hooked after 30 minutes then it's switch off time.

yes there was a UFO but what happened to the couple observing it, I think I must have fallen asleep for a minute.

mod edit: please don’t spoil it for others. Use spoiler tags where necessary

The aliens give them all suits and they flew away, it was prequel story to
:rotfl:

There's usually a HDR logo on the listing if it has it (like My Spy, for example). This one, like the other recent Amazon Original film Selah and the Spades, is just Ultra HD with no HDR.

Haven't seen the film yet but will do soon as it looks really interesting.

Hectic from start to finish and a little hard to get into.

I watched this after a recommendation from another site. Not my cup of tea at all, far too boring and the male lead just seems to be mean to the girl?!

After reading the build up I started to worry that I was missing something,Maybe I'm a bit slow or something, Cos at the end the first thing I thought was,Boring as hell.

5/10 very poor.

I loved this - and am baffled by all the negative comments. :confused:

Mind you, I am finding that if the overriding opinion in the comments on here is negative, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it (like Queen & Slim, for example). :laugh:

I loved this - and am baffled by all the negative comments. :confused:
To me it was the film equivalent to the banana stuck on a wall with duct tape that sold for $120,000. It something I would imagine Mark Kermode would rave about if he reviewed it.

Always think those that give films 1/10 pedantic but have to agree with them on this.
The only good thing about the film it was 89 minutes long and not 90. :laugh:

It something I would imagine Mark Kermode would rave about if he reviewed it.
He and Mayo did review it, and they did indeed really like it. I'm firmly with them on this one. :thumbsup:

He and Mayo did review it, and they did indeed really like it. I'm firmly with them on this one. :thumbsup:
Its always a cold day in hell when his and mine coincide I always rely on him having the opposite view on a film to me, if he said poo stunk Id have to double check I not been getting it wrong all these years thinking it actually did, and now smelt of rose's .:laugh:

It was OK certainly not for kids as they would find it an utter borefest and I won't be chomping at the bit to watch it again either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom