Question Amd Ryzen 3600 vs i5 9600kf

Vindictive

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am second guessing myself... Have purchased a i5 9600kf yesterday for £165, but I am now worried that the 3600 is a better option. I haven't purchased a motherboard yet so I am wondering have I made a mistake? The main advantage I can see is that the AMD chip and combo will be easier to upgrade, more future proof with PCie x4. However is this the case? As I understand even Pcie isnt maxed out on x3 yet. Also the AM4 socket will be used for a few more Amd Cpu'd do it will be easier to upgrade in the medium future.

Need some clarity as I usually never second guess myself... Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, I am second guessing myself... Have purchased a i5 9600kf yesterday for £165, but I am now worried that the 3600 is a better option. I haven't purchased a motherboard yet so I am wondering have I made a mistake? The main advantage I can see is that the AMD chip and combo will be easier to upgrade, more future proof with PCie x4. However is this the case? As I understand even Pcie isnt maxed out on x3 yet. Also the AM4 socket will be used for a few more Amd Cpu'd do it will be easier to upgrade in the medium future.

Need some clarity as I usually never second guess myself... Any help would be much appreciated.
The new 10600 is more competitive with the current Ryzen offerings. The 9600 competed with the previous generation 2600.

The 9600 isn’t a bad CPU, but I’d personally pick the Ryzen 3600. All correct points on the AMD benefits, just make sure you pick up a new B550 chipset motherboard for the AMD if you want the longest possible upgrade path.

The 3600 with a B550 mobo will likely be more future proof than the Intel as they seem to change sockets every release.
That said, the 4 series Zen are supposed to be the last on the AM4 socket so it depends on your upgrade cycle.

I'd also expect the AMD architecture to be more future proof for gaming with the way consoles are going, though you are going to be GPU limited anyway for most games above 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom