Question Amplifier to go with Denon X4500h for 7.1.4?

cezarL

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Asked this in the Denon X4500H owners thread initially, but I'm thinking it might get more visibility with its own thread.

I'm looking to buy an amplifier to go with the Denon for a 7.1.4 config (well, 7.2.4 but anyway).
The amp stuff is all new to me, don't really know what to go with (power amp vs. integrated, power output etc).

The Denon is currently driving 9 speakers: Tannoy Mercury V4 + VC + 3 pairs of VR. All have 8 ohm nominal impedance and the floorstanders have a nominal output power of 100W. Crossovers are set to 80Hz for all speakers.
One pair of VR will be dropped and replaced by 2 pairs of Dali Alteco C1 for Atmos - these have 6 ohm nominal impedance.

From what I've seen around here, people usually drive their fronts when they add amps to the system. So I'm thinking of doing the same, unless because of the different impedance, you guys will recommend using the amp to power the Altecos?

I've had a quick look online and found the amps below. I was searching for something that provides at least 2x100W@8ohm so as to match the specs of the floorstanders.
I should probably add that I've never gone higher than -15dB on the Denon; it's usually at -20dB or -25dB for movies.

Sooo... any opinions on these amps, or other recommendations?
Emotiva A-300: EUR360 (local shop)
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20: EUR260 (local shop - they have a sale that runs for another 2 days, I see it's 380 on Amazon DE)
Sony STR-DH190: EUR160 (Amazon DE)

Thanks a lot!

Thank you!
Is the Emotiva a good choice (or at least "good enough") at that price, or would I be better off with something else?
I'm definitely open to suggestions, as long as we're talking the EUR300-400 range. Suppose I could go up to 500 if there's something really worth it....

The Emotiva A300 is definitely good enough. You could use it on the front left and rights, and if your AVR allows it, which I think it does, re-assign the channels so you run the remaining speakers from the Denon.

Thanks, again!
Yup, I've seen multiple comments here from owners of the Denon who are driving their fronts with power amps. Just need to dig through the manual to figure out how to do it :)

I would look at the iota amp too. See my sig. I have the 4500 and it’s partners beautifully with the Denon. Just bear in mind it’s a beast!

Thanks for the suggestion, but the IOTA is way out of my price range :)
But I'll keep it in mind for when I'll decide to upgrade my standard speakers... if that ever happens :)

The A-300 is an amazing little amp, I’ve got one. The IOTA is also great, I’ve had 2, and is made in the same factory as the Emotiva BASX range apparently. The A-300 and IOTA are the same power into 2 channels, so for 2 channels should do similar things. The IOTA costs more but has more but is 7 channels instead of 2.

I'd suggest the XTZ A2-300 as being a viable alternative to the Emotiva.

Thanks, both!

@dante01 - Unfortunately I can't find the XTZ on sale locally (Romania), nor on Amazon UK or DE.
I'll get the Emotiva as it's from a local shop and should be easier to manage if issues arise during the warranty period.

Thanks, both!

@dante01 - Unfortunately I can't find the XTZ on sale locally (Romania), nor on Amazon UK or DE.
I'll get the Emotiva as it's from a local shop and should be easier to manage if issues arise during the warranty period.

Yeah, XTZ don't really distribute their products via third party retailers that much and depend mainly upon direct sales via their own website.

One other question, though, probably a dumb one :)

With the Emotiva, would it be safe to place the Denon X4500 on top of it?
They're the same width (39cm) and more or less the same depth, but the Denon is pretty heavy at 13.7kg.
However in one of the promo pictures on their website it has two other thingies on top, so...

I'd advise against it or placing the power amp atop the AV receiver. Both need to be well ventilated and rely upon the vents on the top of them for cooling.

No big deal, it was just a matter of convenience in the short term until I get a proper rack, but can certainly put them side by side (well with plenty of space apart).

Just a quick follow-up:
In the end I decided to cancel the order for the Emotiva (which I had placed before the other suggestion came in) and went for the Edge A-300.
The diminutive size and it being sold directly by XTZ did me in :D
Thanks, Dante!

I hate to say, but based on specifications and reviews, the Emotiva is the better of the two amps. It also has a proper power on and off trigger rather than the auto sensing of the XTZ.

I am pretty sure you will be happy with either though, and should have a returns option and warranty for back up.

I do believe they've already shipped the Emotiva (I paid for it in advance), and I'll have 30 days for returning each.
If the XTZ will be delivered reasonably quickly, I ought to have at least a few days to test both and decide which to keep.
The Emotiva comes with a 5-year warranty, vs 2-year for the XTZ.

Okay, I'm not particularly proud of doing things this way ( :confused: ) but then again the free return period is part of EU laws, so...

Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested to know which you prefer.

I'd imagine the Emo to sound warmer and less harsh / tiring than the XTZ as the Emo is class A/B and the XTZ class D. Some class D's can shake the colder digital sound but not all and reading the reviews on the XTZ I suggest it has it. How it will sound for you will come down to your other kit and environment and what you prefer is obviously totally personal. I'd recommend letting them both warm up well and then listening to them both for longer than just a quick A / B test..

The class D amps I've had and heard bar one, have sounded 'to my ears' a bit of a thinner and colder sound than the other class amps I've had. I can only say it as I have experienced and heard it with my own ears. I did not read this information from a wiki, deduct it from a graph or numbers, make it up to wind you up and I'm not against class d amps, far from it. I also know not all class d amps sound this way as have heard ones that don't, but I presume it's a characteristic sound or tendency of some aspect of the technology that needs to be carefully tuned or maybe it's just more expensive ones don't have this sound.
I think even the AVForums review here mentioned "there is a leanness to the way that the XTZ performs that will require at least a little care to be applied as to what you partner it with".

I'm sorry if my language or use of the wrong term offended you I was just trying to contribute and help.............

No offence taken! Just correcting the error :)

I have heard a few Class D amps myself and found them to sound pretty good, certainly no harsher or less warm then Class A/B amps. I wonder what the reviewer meant by the amp being a little lean? Not enough bass maybe? I expect that can all be sorted by bass management and room correction in the AVR.

The good thing about Class D is that they are small, light, and run cool.

Actually, I just remembered both of the power amps in my main room are Class D. When I got them I measured them with my ears and then again with REW against the Class A/B amps on the Arcam AVR, and they were absolutely identical. I haven't given them a second thought since I installed them.

There is a good audioholics video somewhere discussing the general misconceptions about Class D amps, and some other audio myths that get regurgitated and compounded. I can't find it now, if I do I'll let you know.

It's not an error or a myth, I'm certainly not 'regurgitating' anything, it's just what I've found and heard firsthand with the amps I've owned and listened to. Maybe the amp tech tends to have a slight inkling to sound a bit that way 'to my ears'. I'm not telling you what you hear in your ears, but that's what I hear in my ears.
I'm also not saying they all sound that way, but of the ones I've listened to they've tended to sound on the slightly thinner side. I definitely know they don't all sound that way, but this specific one would appear to have a thinner sound from reviews.
I agree you can maybe tune out aspects with bass management and room correction, but if you're dong that, then you're kind of admitting it has a characteristic sound you're trying to sort out further up the chain with a tweak. Also room correction may not be wanted or an option for all listening, although that is probably irrelevant in this case.

With listening tests it is very difficult to objectively ascertain what is going on. Unless it is a blind test done under laboratory conditions, it is all so nebulous and subjective that reports can at best confuse and at worst mislead potential consumers.

Have you seen the blind test with the Behringer amp from years ago?

With amplifiers, what they are doing is measurable. If they are introducing noise, that is measurable with the right equipment. And if they are, for example, thin, I think that means they are not reproducing bass correctly, so that would be measurable on a frequency sweep.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom