Anime / Animation Film Thread

Afro Samurai creator Takashi Okazaki is working on a Batman anime film entitled Batman Ninja, a direct-to-video feature coming in 2018.

DLaH_C2X0AAQ5wn.jpg

‘Batman: The Animated Series’ (Remastered) Blu-Ray Release Confirmed For 2018

DLpcQJGVoAARM1p.jpg

Tickets at http://perfectbluemovie.co.uk - See Satoshi Kon's classic anime Perfect Blue in the cinema from 27th October 2017 to celebrate its 20th Anniversary!

Just in time for Halloween, catch one of the scariest anime of all-time on the big screen on the spookiest night of the year!

All screenings in Japanese with English subtitles only.

Mary And The Witch’s Flower

from Ex Studio Ghibli employees , Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Yoshiaki Nishimura, started Studio Ponoc,.

Directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (“The Secret World Of Arrietty,” “When Marnie Was There“), and based on Mary Stewart‘s book “The Little Broomstick.”

View attachment 799282

In this thread I can't find one of my favourites.

I have to recommend One-Punch Man. Really well done and very fun.
Give it a try.

Another :smashin: here for One-Punch Man.

My Neighbour Totoro is showing at Vue Cinemas nationwide on Tuesday 17th April...

My Neighbour Totoro - 30th Anniversary

It appears that Film4 also had an anniversary screening of this on the 11th but if (like me) you missed that then at least there’s more Ghibli goodness coming up...

Film4 on Twitter
We're showing Grave Of The Fireflies, which was released on the same day as My Neighbour Totoro in April 1988, on Saturday 21st, in tribute to Isao Takahata.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-43695803
Japanese animation giant Studio Ghibli is renowned for light-hearted classics like My Neighbour Totoro but 30 years ago it released Grave of the Fireflies, a war anime with a powerful message that still reverberates.

Based on Akiyuki Nosaka's 1967 novel and directed by the legendary Japanese animator Isao Takahata who died earlier this month, it tells the story of two orphans and their desperate struggle to survive the final months of World War Two.
Da4J_rEW0AALkmb.jpg

Just got my copy of Batman Ninja, still trying to decide how to watch it for the first time, English or Japanese with subs.

Farewell ceremony for Studio Ghibli co-founder & director Isao Takahata has been held today.

DdPVan0U0AEb8We.jpg
DdPVZRyV0AAnF4c.jpg
DdN0IlGV4AAOzEm.jpg
DdN0G6PVAAA0I8k.jpg
DdN0FebV4AAHRuc.jpg
DdN0DpvUwAAAAlt.jpg

(October 29, 1935 – April 5, 2018) Isao Takahata
(aged 82)

Grave of the Fireflies
(1988), Only Yesterday (1991), Pom Poko (1994), and My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999). His last film as director was The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)

A Japanese film director, screenwriter and producer. In 1985, he co-founded Studio Ghibli with his long-time collaborative partner Hayao Miyazaki

Miyazaki:
"I thought you would live to 95. Thank you, Paku-san. I will never forget you. You spoke to me for the first time at the bus stop after the rain 55 years ago."

Joe Hisaishi:
DdOuu6hV0AAxT3v.jpg

"Takahata-san chose me for a music composer of Nausicaa even though I was totally nameless. Thanks to him, I can be. I'm proud to have worked together. He is still alive in my heart. I don't say good bye, see you again."

Just got my copy of Batman Ninja, still trying to decide how to watch it for the first time, English or Japanese with subs.
Japanese with subs every time surely?

Japanese with subs every time surely?

I hadn't read up on what exactly Batman Ninja was so wasn't aware it was a proper anime created by a Japanese studio so like you say it had to be Japanese with subs and not dub titles but the proper translation.

I really want to see Gatchaman in Japanese with Eng Subs, anyone seen that available anywhere?

I'm sure most know Gatchaman is the original Anime series that Sandy Frank adapted for the western market as Battle of the Planets, but they heavily edited the show into a completely different animal. I loved the BotP series as a kid, but as an adult it's not a great watch.

Here is a great description of what changed during adaptation, lifted from Wikipedia:

The Battle of the Planets adaptation differs significantly from Gatchaman.[7] The difference is due to heavy editing made to make the show appealing to the audience in the United States by removing controversial elements (i.e. graphic violence, profanity, nudity and transgenderism) while adding elements reminiscent of the feature film Star Wars, which was popular at the time. In fact the name "Battle of the Planets" was an attempt to associate itself with that popularity of Star Wars. While the original Gatchaman was earthbound, dark-toned, and environmentally themed, the adaptation morphed it into a kid-friendly outer space show with robot characters, although some environmental themes were kept, and this is also why the other planets to which G-Force traveled on missions looked very much like Earth. Setting, violence, objectionable language, and most character fatalities were altered or eliminated by cutting scenes, dubbing, and explanatory voiceovers (for instance, claiming that the city had been evacuated before a battle scene that would show the incidental destruction of buildings and houses, as well as explaining away the destruction of the Earth armies and air forces as being robot tanks and fighter planes).[8][9]

One of the most notable changes in the BotP adaptation involves the character Keyop (Jinpei in Gatchaman), who picked up a bizarre verbal tic of stuttering, chirping, and burbling every time he started to speak. There was a longstanding fan rumor that this was done because the original character spoke using much profanity and that Keyop's excess mouth motion would cover up deleting the words. This was not true, as demonstrated by the existence of an unedited Gatchaman version released by ADV Films in the USA, in which Keyop rarely if ever used profanity. The in-story explanation for Keyop's unique manner of speech is that he is an artificial life form with a speech impediment because of slightly defective genetic engineering.[10]

The main villain, known as Zoltar in BotP, had an unusual background due to the hermaphroditic nature of the original Berg Katse character. In an episode where Katse's female half was featured (BotP title: "The Galaxy Girls"), she was introduced as a separate character, Zoltar's sister, for BotP. (A hint of her actual nature was retained in the name she used when masquerading as a human, Mala Latroz—"Latroz" is an anagram of "Zoltar.")[10]

To compensate for the other differences, a robot named 7-Zark-7 performed explanatory voiceovers and light comic relief, which not only padded the time lost from editing but also filled in the gaps in the story line. This device bears the influence of contemporary Star Wars film, with 7-Zark-7 having a visual appearance not dissimilar from R2-D2, and a somewhat campy personality in the style of C-3PO. Notionally, 7-Zark-7 ran the undersea monitoring station Center Neptune, from where he received information regarding incoming threats to Earth and relayed that information to G-Force. Zark and other added characters, such as 1-Rover-1, Zark's robotic dog (who could hover from one side of the control room to the other by spinning his tail like a propeller, Muttley-style) and Susan (the early-warning computer whose sultry feminine voice often sent Zark into paroxysms) added to the cartoon's youth appeal. Some additional footage was also animated showing G-Force members (using their Gatchaman model sheets) interacting with Zark, helping his addition blend more smoothly into the existing Gatchaman footage (although there is a clear difference in quality between the Zark and the Gatchaman animation).

Its not a film but I really love Assassination Classroom.

The Reign of the Superman

(US) From Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Digital starting January 15, 2019, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack on January 29, 2019

The Reign of the Supermen all-star cast is led by Jerry O’Connell (Carter, Bravo’s Play by Play, Stand by Me), Rebecca Romijn (X-Men, The Librarians) and Rainn Wilson (The Office, The Meg) as the voices of Superman, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, respectively. The potent trio is joined by the DC Universe Movies’ returning voices of the Justice League: Jason O’Mara (The Man in the High Castle, Terra Nova) as Batman, Rosario Dawson (Sin City, Rent, Daredevil) as Wonder Woman, Shemar Moore (S.W.A.T., Criminal Minds) as Cyborg, Nathan Fillion (Castle, The Rookie) as Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, Christopher Gorham (Covert Affairs, Insatiable, Ugly Betty) as The Flash, and Nyambi Nyambi (Mike & Molly, The Good Fight) as Martian Manhunter.

Newly featured cast members include Cress Williams (Black Lightning) as Steel, Cameron Monaghan (Gotham) as Superboy, Patrick Fabian (Better Call Saul) as Hank Henshaw, and Tony Todd (Candyman) as Darkseid. In addition, the cast includes Charles Halford (Constantine) as Bibbo Bibbowski and The Eradicator, Rocky Carroll (NCIS) as Perry White, Toks Olagundoye (Castle) as Cat Grant, Max Mittleman (Justice League Action) as Jimmy Olsen, Paul Eiding (Ben 10: Omniverse) as Jonathan Kent, Jennifer Hale (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) as Martha Kent, Trevor Devall (Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay) as Dabney Donovan and Erica Luttrell (Salvation) as Mercy.
reign-of-the-supermen-bluray-447x600.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom