Ant-Man and the Wasp Review & Comments

Same. Cas isn't necessarily wrong but I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of it. Preferred it to the first one, by miles. Love the mid credit scene which is proper
Alien 3
isn't it!

And how about that de-aging? They've all but perfected it.

6/10 is a fair score for many MCU films, and I say that even as a fanboy. For me its all about the bigger picture and introducing these characters so they can crossover and interact in bigger and better stories and adventures. The standalone films and their light hearted sequels are all fun and enjoyable an all, but they are rarely anymore than that. In this case though, they upped the ante (sorry) and I had a blast. 7.5/10 for me.
It kinda has that effects packed adventure, fun for the whole family feel that takes me back to the films I watched as a kid. Honey I Shrunk The Kids meets Innerspace.

Nice Review Cas, & then interesting reading the reactions & other people's thoughts on it.

This already went through my Local Cinema, so I will rent the Disk or do ATV rent to see it

(The beautiful Joy to renting it; a) I can fast forward to the end credit scenes b) the Missus is up and away getting a coffee so no Danger of getting the "I had to wait for THAT?" look for me! :rotfl::thumbsup:

Easy 7/10 for me. It was just entertaining, and a pleasing sequel to the first in every way possible. All the characters were good, all made a welcome return, and new ones were nice additions too. I think it showed some nice restraint in not trying to go bigger and better, more spinning and expanding what had gone before. I don't think it was as funny as it wanted to be, mainly as a lot of the gags were in the trailers, and lost their amusement factor as a result. But overall another worthy MCU entry.

8/10 for me and as good as, if not better than the first film. Pena was great, loved the humour and hope for number 3.

On a side note:
as posted in the other thread, I can see ant-man playing a large and important part in avengers 4.

Saw this Friday evening and it's just not a very good movie. As @TheDarkKnight01 wrote above, the mid-credits scene is the best and only memorable part of the movie.

At least it'll settle any discussion about which is the worst MCU movie. ;)

After being disappointed with the first film I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel.

Nice marvel-light film after the heavy going (but excellent) avengers with some very funny size related visual gags.

8/10

don't normally disagree with Cas but I enjoyed this film - more like a 7.5 for me

Wow, talk about a divisive film!

Watched it last night in in 3D with Atmos and absolutely loved it.

Was great to see the backstory for the original Antman fleshed out, Evangeline Lilly and Michael Douglas suited up, the continuation of the big-small running jokes, the misappropriation of children's toys and ... those ants! :clap:

Feel free to disagree with me, but I see Antman as a genuinely family friendly version of Deadpool or a grown up version of the rebooted Spiderman; he mostly exists outside of the goings on of other super heroes and has to deal with the more mundane, relatively small-scale, day-to-day personal hassles that ultimately escalate to way-out-of-hand final showdown.

Comparing these films to those featuring the likes of those heroes such as Thor, Captain America, The Hulk and Iron Man is like comparing a bicycle race with a motorbike race. They're both exciting and have their own unique appeals, but ultimately in a straight race the rider with 1,000cc of snarling engine between their legs is going to leave the rider with a 800ml water bottle between their legs in the dust every time.

Aside from not making the most of Laurence Fishburne, I do think that Marvel made a GIG-ANT-IC (sorry!) mistake with releasing this film AFTER Infinity War.

Imagine, if you will, that Antman and The Wasp was released BEFORE Infinity War; just what would everyone's reaction to that first mid-credit scene have been? We'd all have been losing our minds over what the heck was going on :eek:

Great film, definitely worth watching if you liked the first Antman, but a wasted opportunity for Marvel Studios to have achieved the impossible and boosted Infinity War up a notch.

Watched this last night with the family and we all thoroughly enjoyed it! 8/10 from us!

Thought the main story was good enough and linked in well with the rest of the MCU - No spoilers - but the end credit scenes are a must!

It had many laugh out loud moments (which we did). Paul Rudd really does play the part well and Ant-Man has become one of my favourite characters.

Now really looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel next year!

Aside from not making the most of Laurence Fishburne, I do think that Marvel made a GIG-ANT-IC (sorry!) mistake with releasing this film AFTER Infinity War.

Imagine, if you will, that Antman and The Wasp was released BEFORE Infinity War; just what would everyone's reaction to that first mid-credit scene have been? We'd all have been losing our minds over what the heck was going on :eek:
But the other side of that coin would be that it would have been to the detriment of Infinity War.
Half way through watching Infinity War it would have already clicked with many people that Thanos had succeeded in wiping half the universe, because people will have remembered the scene from Ant-Man & Wasp.

Prior to watching Infinity War many people were expecting maybe Captain America or Iron Man might sacrifice themselves and get killed by Thanos, or no one got killed but the Avengers got their asses thoroughly whipped by Thanos. Very few people would have thought they would actually 'go there' and really wipe half the universe and loads of the superheroes would actually die.

This scene being seen before IW would have just caused people to say, 'IW was so predictable, I knew Thanos was going to succeed, I saw it a mile off etc...' instead of actually still not being sure how IW was going to end, right up to the very end of the film when Thanos snaps his finger and people started to turn to dust.

I still remember when I first watched IW and the heroes started turning to dust, I was definitely in a sense of shock and confusion. Such a great ending to IW. Wouldn't have been the same if I was forewarned by A & W mid-credit scene.

This also isn't even taking into account all of the websites that would have spent months analysing the mid-credit scene and most likely figure out that Thanos did it, and effectively ruin the ending of IW before it even came out.
:)

Last edited:
But the other side of that coin would be that it would have been to the detriment of Infinity War.

You make a very good point.

However, why would anyone have assumed that what happened to the group stood near the van and equipment was anything to do with Infinity War?

Given the temperamental "work in progress" nature of Hank's creations and the disastrous (and fatal as demonstrated during the film) effects of when such technology does go wrong, what's to say that the viewer would not have just assumed that it was the equipment malfunctioning and the group stood near the van and equipment were the only ones affected.

The van and equipment location was isolated (deliberately so?), so there would be no reason for the audience to assume that the incident would be on a wider scale.

If Marvel Studios played it right, then it would have effectively been a double reveal at the end of Infinity War and people would have lost their minds (again) at having already been shown what was going to happen and not realising what they had already seen.

But maybe that's just me.

You make a very good point.

However, why would anyone have assumed that what happened to the group stood near the van and equipment was anything to do with Infinity War?

Given the temperamental "work in progress" nature of Hank's creations and the disastrous (and fatal as demonstrated during the film) effects of when such technology does go wrong, what's to say that the viewer would not have just assumed that it was the equipment malfunctioning and the group stood near the van and equipment were the only ones affected.

The van and equipment location was isolated (deliberately so?), so there would be no reason for the audience to assume that the incident would be on a wider scale.

If Marvel Studios played it right, then it would have effectively been a double reveal at the end of Infinity War and people would have lost their minds (again) at having already been shown what was going to happen and not realising what they had already seen.

But maybe that's just me.
Well one of the most oftenly repeated questions that has come out of IW is
Where was Ant-Man and Hawkeye during IW?
Everyone now assumes he was stuck in the quantum realm, and it wouldn't have been very hard to put two and two together and leap to the conclusion that Thanos did it, especially once he tells Gamora his end game is to wipe half the universe.
Also with the proximity to IW (if it was released before IW) it would have very quickly led people in that direction.

A second reveal wouldn't have been as shocking (less impactful) as seeing it for the very first time at the end of IW.

Last edited:
Where was Ant-Man and Hawkeye during IW?
It wouldn't have been very hard to put two and two together and leap to the conclusion that Thanos did it once he tells Gamora his end game was to wipe half the universe.
Also with the proximity to IW (if it was released before IW) it would have quickly led people in that direction

Given that the film is set before IW, it does explain why Antman is not around as he's at home under house arrest with his every move being watched by the FBI, with the mid-credit scene making it very clear that he may well be indisposed for quite some time.

As I said earlier, the group by the van are in an isolated location; there is no-one else around, and there are no wide shots, so the audience have no reason to assume that anyone has been affected and every reason to assume that one of Hank's devices has gone badly wrong (again).

If you hadn't seen IW, then you could have reasonably assumed that the Quantum Tunnel, which was facing them, had malfunctioned and they'd all been sent to the Quantum Realm.

There was no mention of ANY of the events from IW during the film, only the airport battle from Civil War.

It all fits perfectly and I have to assume that Marvel / Disney decided not to wait to put Antman 2 out before IW for some reason; possibly due to filming and/or production issues?

Given that the film is set before IW, it does explain why Antman is not around as he's at home under house arrest with his every move being watched by the FBI, with the mid-credit scene making it very clear that he may well be indisposed for quite some time.

As I said earlier, the group by the van are in an isolated location; there is no-one else around, and there are no wide shots, so the audience have no reason to assume that anyone has been affected and every reason to assume that one of Hank's devices has gone badly wrong (again).

If you hadn't seen IW, then you could have reasonably assumed that the Quantum Tunnel, which was facing them, had malfunctioned and they'd all been sent to the Quantum Realm.

There was no mention of ANY of the events from IW during the film, only the airport battle from Civil War.

It all fits perfectly and I have to assume that Marvel / Disney decided not to wait to put Antman 2 out before IW for some reason; possibly due to filming and/or production issues?
Yes sorry I meant he is stuck in the quantum realm at the end of IW (since the turning to dust is at the end of IW) :facepalm::laugh:
So on house arrest during the events of IW:)

Yes, but all of what you say above changes if it had been released prior to IW.
It would be quite easy for people to put two and two together while watching IW, if they'd already seen Ant-man & Wasp.

Last edited:
Yes, but all of what you say above changes if it had been released prior to IW.
It would be quite easy for people to put two and two together while watching IW, if they'd already seen Ant-man & Wasp.

The significance of the ash drifting through the air (you don't see any ground shots) would be lost on anyone who hadn't yet seen IW.

Although Thanos' objective was clear and everyone understood that the Infinity Guantlet had the potential to let him achieve that goal, no-one knew exactly how that was going to manifest itself until it did.

Thanos' own words are that he snaps his fingers and half the population are erased. Again, there is no mention of how the erasure happens and people could have literally just blinked out of existence in the same way that Antman and The Wasp can shrink down in size in the blink of an eye.

Thinking back, the close-up magic and misdirection running joke would have added meaning as the audience would have seen the end result of IW and not realised what they'd seen.

I guess we're going to have to disagree on this.

The significance of the ash drifting through the air (you don't see any ground shots) would be lost on anyone who hadn't yet seen IW.

Although Thanos' objective was clear and everyone understood that the Infinity Guantlet had the potential to let him achieve that goal, no-one knew exactly how that was going to manifest itself until it did.

Thanos' own words are that he snaps his fingers and half the population are erased. Again, there is no mention of how the erasure happens and people could have literally just blinked out of existence in the same way that Antman and The Wasp can shrink down in size in the blink of an eye.

Thinking back, the close-up magic and misdirection running joke would have added meaning as the audience would have seen the end result of IW and not realised what they'd seen.

I guess we're going to have to disagree on this.
We'll have to disagree, but c'mon it's not that big a leap to have seen
the two are related.
1st clue- something big happens to Hank, Janet and Hope in the mid-credit scene, traditionally a teaser for an upcoming film. Turning them into dust...
2nd clue- next/upcoming Marvel film is IW.
3rd clue- Antman is going to appear in IW next as Paul Rudd has been filming for IW. His next appearance is not Ant-man 3, but IW. Surely events of mid-credit scene are going to be related to IW and not Ant-man 3.
4th clue- half way through IW we learn Thanos' end game is to erase half the universe.

I'm sure Hank, Janet and Hope disappearing in the mid-credits has nothing to do with this even though the villain just said he's going to kill off half the universe o_O
...it's not even with the benefit of hindsight. Once you're watching IW, it would just be obvious the two events are related.

Last edited:

If Ant-Man and Wasp had of come before Infinity Way, they could have done it where
the camera cuts back to the outside the van and no one is there, but without the ash effect, reserving the first time you see this aftereffect of the cilck for Infinity Way. That way, people could have wondered 'where have they gone' and it might have taken longer to associate this scene being the cause of the click.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Now I have to watch this real soon, just so I can then go & see what you guys wrote in your Spoilers! :D

If Ant-Man and Wasp had of come before Infinity Way, they could have done it where
the camera cuts back to the outside the van and no one is there, but without the ash effect, reserving the first time you see this aftereffect of the cilck for Infinity Way. That way, people could have wondered 'where have they gone' and it might have taken longer to associate this scene being the cause of the click.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes that would work, but then it doesn’t work quite as well as
an IW Easter egg/teaser. If they released this prior to IW minus the dust effects, it doesn’t give that ‘knowing’ link to IW, even after you’ve finished watching IW.
I still think it’s more effective for both films, especially IW, in the order they’ve done it :)

Sorry, but that's a garbage review. This is a top Marvel film, very much on the lighter comedy side of the MCU, which underlines the diversity of the franchise, and delivers everything it sets out to. Funny, exciting, action packed and it has Michelle Pfeiffer, come on, what more do you want!!

A great way to spend a couple of hours, just a real shame it was delayed and is going against MI Fallout. Not ideal.
The mid credits scene; superb. The very end credits scene, well what did we really expect!

A solid 8.5/10 easily.

Now I have to watch this real soon, just so I can then go & see what you guys wrote in your Spoilers! :D

@hippo99 and I are both on commission from Disney Marvel; I think he gets a payout if you watch it an Odeon Cinema, I get a payout if you watch it at a Showcase :rotfl:

@hippo99 and I are both on commission from Disney Marvel; I think he gets a payout if you watch it an Odeon Cinema, I get a payout if you watch it at a Showcase :rotfl:

Excellent! :rotfl:

Booked tickets for Sat eve with D-Box seating at a 2D showing in Braintree - looking forward to it.

When I go to see The Meg I am going to ask for second poster, if they say I need a ticket which I doubt they will ill just go book a ticket for next day, show it to them and then make sure they see me bin the ticket after.

Don't know why they couldn't give both out at same time, I was expecting it tbh.

When I go to see The Meg I am going to ask for second poster, if they say I need a ticket which I doubt they will ill just go book a ticket for next day, show it to them and then make sure they see me bin the ticket after.

Don't know why they couldn't give both out at same time, I was expecting it tbh.

You lost me, personally, on this one - did you mean to post here or the Meg thread?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom