Ant-Man and the Wasp Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I loved Ant-Man and the Wasp and it gets an 8 out of 10 from me. Yes it inevitably suffers from being a bit of an anti-climax after Infinity War but I reckon the Quantum Realm is going to play a major role in the next Avengers movie.

The majority of Ant Man & The Wasp actually feels very much like a direct follow up to Civil War.
Which after Infinty War feels a little odd.

Last edited:
Whilst it definitely warrants a trip to the flicks for me, this is the first MCU film in a while that I'm not in break neck rush to see. Will catch it in the next week or two.

Excellent review Cas (and congratulations in your new role at AVforums - here's to another 10 years). Just occurred to me that your time writing reviews and the MCU are exactly the same age.

I agree with the shortfalls that you mentioned. Fishburne was perhaps under-utilised and it does have a "fillery" sort of feel to it. I think it strains a bit during its 2hr runtime (notable yawns and fidgety members of the audience were observed during the screening that I attended).

That being said, the flaws didn't bother me as much and I was perfectly content with the script. After the events of Infinity War, I wanted a break from another film that ingergrates heavily with the overall Canon but still fancied an MCU fix. This lightweight film did the job for me.

Whilst the villains lack the moral complexity of Thanos or Killmonger (who I regard as the best villain in the MCU), in the context of this scaled-back approach, I thought that the character development was good enough.

The recurring themes of family and goodwill are an understated nice touch from Peyton Reed. The dialogue and humour (more often than not) were spot on.

I'd give it about an 8.

I have to disagree with this review.
Yes it's tame against Infinity War but it was never supposed to be a continuance of that movie,
that is what the next Avengers movie is for.

I liked this movie a lot , funny moments and great action all the things that made the first movie fun for me.
It may not be flawless but it deserves more credit than you give it Cas.

8.5 out of 10 from me.

Sometimes, Cas, I feel you deep inside me and me deep inside you (Damn you, Deadpool!) because that was exactly my reaction to this not-really-going-anywhere film, although I'm willing to view it as a set-up and placeholder for the hopefully makes all amends excellent next one. The real ace, for me, though, is Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost: she takes the standard, clichéd character in films such as these and imbues it with an emotional depth that goes far, far beyond its underwritten figure on the page. But still that very rare and fingers crossed sole exception, a Marvel film worth only the one viewing, if that. As a side note, my local plexy has it on perma-special, so clearly keen to shovel an audience into it somehow.

Cut and paste job from the other thread:

Thought it was just as good as the first which I loved.

Pena is just awesome-once again stole the scenes he was in. Whole cinema was laughing throughout as well.

Found it to be just the right type of film to do after what happened in Infinity War.

And now with Ant-Man stuck in the quantum realm and everyone else getting dusted, I’m very excited to see how he gets out and how it ties into Avengers 4.

8 out of 10 for me.

I have to disagree with this review.
Yes it's tame against Infinity War

I liked this movie a lot , funny moments and great action all the things that made the first movie fun for me.
It may not be flawless but it deserves more credit than you give it Cas.

8.5 out of 10 from me.

Sounds closer to a 7/10 from those comments. Which isn't far off Cas' 6.

I can understand the score - to come from Infinity War to this is quite the tonal change, but to appreciate the magnitude of the events of IW, you had to have this film in there to calm everyone down and then build back up with Captain Marvel and then Avengers 4.

Ultimately, it's one man's score and by the sounds of it, everyone else seems to have enjoyed it regardless which is all that counts.

The MCU juggernaut marches on.

A woman behind us absolutely rinsed her BF for making her wait for the 2nd post credit scene. Let’s just say if you have somewhere to be, don’t worry too much.

Doesn't 6/10 (over 50%) mean he did enjoy it? :)

The review doesn't suggest that he did. But I'm not going to start nitpicking peoples scores - each to their own.

A woman behind us absolutely rinsed her BF for making her wait for the 2nd post credit scene. Let’s just say if you have somewhere to be, don’t worry too much.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I didn't get a rinsing, but as we did have to get back home to relieve the inlaws from Babysitting duty, I did get the "did we really have to stay for that" look. She knows the score though - MCU = stay until the end.

I liked it and would have given it 8.5 especially the discussions it then generated following the post credit scene. I think maybe critical for story of Infinity 2!

Regarding moaning about delay in being able to leave, there is always 2 exits to an aisle!
Same mentailty as leaving a football game early and missing the final goal!

Kevin

Overall I think you gave a fair review Cas.
The film is good as it goes but sh/would score down for its sheer lack of imagination in story and characters. Heck, even Rudd and Lilly sound skeptical about a sequel and where things could go or, if they want them to.
It's basically a family fun film that hangs around a bit too long in places. My boy puffed out a sigh a couple of times and whispered can we have a fast meal later - which felt like the teen death knell of compensation.

Was very much a fallout from civil war film, which was fine by me. I wasn't fussed by the main plotline, which was bonkers, but enjoyed my time with all the characters. The humour in this film was great and benefited from not being too closely associated with Infinity War. Ghost was an interesting character played extremely well. Was strange seeing Laurence Fishburne having watched Batman v Superman the other night..

Enjoyed it a bit more than you, I know exactly where you’re coming from though.

Same. Cas isn't necessarily wrong but I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of it. Preferred it to the first one, by miles. Love the mid credit scene which is proper
Alien 3
isn't it!

And how about that de-aging? They've all but perfected it.

6/10 is a fair score for many MCU films, and I say that even as a fanboy. For me its all about the bigger picture and introducing these characters so they can crossover and interact in bigger and better stories and adventures. The standalone films and their light hearted sequels are all fun and enjoyable an all, but they are rarely anymore than that. In this case though, they upped the ante (sorry) and I had a blast. 7.5/10 for me.

Bang average.

Whilst seeing people enjoy this movie is always good, each to their own, I just personally felt this one had no real point. Nothing massive really happened other than THAT first credits scene.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel like it was a bad movie, just an "okay" movie.

When I was driving home the only scene I was really discussing was the first end credits scene and everything else we were just a bit "meh" about. Wouldn't really recommend anybody to go and see it, as I have done this week with Mission Impossible: Fallout.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom