Anthem MRX 520 / 720 / 1120 Series Owners

It boosts lower frequencies on target curve.
You can see the effects on target curve.

Try with lower value - let's say 2 dB.

Try, decreasing by 0.25db at a time, and give it listen to the point that you are happy with it.
In my case i find that just a 0.25db adjustment makes a big diference.

Hi All I need some help with running ARC. I used to have an MRX310 and in the past have run ARC without any issues , Though I may have run it on an earlier windows version. and remember last time I ran the ARC on it I had some issues before it discovered it .
Have upgraded to 520 now and I tried running ARC from my Mac ( Boot camp and with windows 10) Both ARC on the computer and the 520 are latest versions software and firmware wise.
I am having real trouble it recognises the 520. I am running Powerline adapters and network cable from that to the Anthem's network port . The other powerline adapter is connected to the Router. Powerline adapters are running direct from the wall switch ( ie not via any extension lead and they list up completely showing it is having a stable data connection) Mic is connected to the usb of the computer. IP control on at the receiver.
I have disabled windows firewall. on the anthem network menu it says connected and it is assigning IP address.
After so many tries with switching things on and off and countless Resets ( including by holding power and Select buttons on anthem) and also power cycles by taking off the power plugs on router and receiver I once got it recognising the 520 on the ARC software and started calibration halfway when it did not recognise again. at different times the software recognised the 520 but when I tried quick measure or trying to run ARC calibration it would give me an error message saying time out. I tried so many various settings over good part of half a day last weekend and in the end gave up.
Is there another way of doing things or what am I not doing correct. Would it work if I try connecting the Cat 5 cable direct from the router to the Anthem? or CAT 5 cable direct from the computer to the Anthem ( I am not sure if my 2017 iMac has a LAN port ) or should I look around a second hand windows7 laptop to run it.
in My old MRX 310 there was a setting to run in in direct connection mode but this seem tone missing in the 520 menu.
also another issue , in my previous 310 on the LEVEL button in the remote control you had the option to control the level for LFE channel as well together with subwoofer level and other speaker levels . But the 520 does not show a separate level setting fro LFE channel. It just shows the Subwoofer level and speaker level when you repeatedly press the LEVEL button on the remote. ( though the printed manual says about the LFE channel level control )
Thanks for your help

Sanjay

I wish to update on my troubles of getting ARC setup connection. After many days finally managed to setup the Anthem room Correction working.
I wish to share with you all in case anyone has similar issues. I was initially trying to get this working with the windows 10 Bootcamp from my iMAC with power line adapters. It was hit and miss to recognise after several power cycles/ hard resets. I thought it was the iMAC and bought a cheap second hand Windows 7 laptop.

Had some time last night and gave it a try. Was running into similar problems with Computer not detecting the Anthem 520.

I was almost going to give up but then unplugged the router from its original position. Got it nearer to the laptop and receiver and connected then each directly. ie Network cable going direct to router from the laptop and also Direct to Router from the receiver and hey presto it WORKED.
Finally able to do the ARC last night and was so relieved.

Still cannot understand what the problem was with initial connection as my previous MRX310 (soon will be up in the classifieds) worked in similar way with my iMAC bootcamp with power line adapters.( Same iMAC, Same router, Same power line adapter connections)

I also have Audio return channel working seamlessly with my Panasonic 802 OLED now without a hitch( initially run into problems getting it worked but after removing an Android TV box which was connected to one of the HDMI ports in the receiver it started working)

Sanjay

I have a second subwoofer coming tomorrow, do I just set the gain the same on both subs then run arc? or do I need to use a sound meter to set them up before running arc, what's the best setting for distance, one sub is front left the other will be rear right.

It’s a bit trickier setting up two subs when they share one output/summed as one.

I would set the level for each sub individually before running ARC. For the distances, again it’s a little tricky. Measure the physical distance for each one and add 3’ to each distance as a starting point. You may also need to adjust the phasing of one of them, most likely the one closest to the seating.

Last edited:
Thanks Dodge, what's the best way to set the phase and how will I know if it's not set correctly

It'll be a little bit of trial and error with this if you're doing it manually. If you can, get someone else to help you with it. It'll be easier for you to then do the listening without getting out of your seat.
For the sub thats the furthest away from you, set it's Phase to zero. The other person will adjust the phase on the closest sub to you. Ask them to start at zero and while you're doing the listening, ask them to turn the dial just one increment at a time. With each turn listen for what sounds the loudest or best. You may have to go back and forth a couple of times or so to get a feel/hear how each increment step sounds. A sound meter may help if you have one of those.

Thanks again Dodge, I have a sound meter.

If I'm thinking correctly I set the phase first. Using the sound meter, by sitting in the first listening position and adjusting the nearest subs phase till it's at it's loudest setting.
Is this with both subs receiving a signal at the same time?

Then do I set the gain on both subs to be the same from the listening position to around 72db?

Then run arc again.

And with regards to the distance I presume there is only one setting for both subs, so do I measure both to the listening position and and add 3 ft to start.

Sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate the help Cheers

No probs with the questions ;)

Sorry yes, just one distance setting for the subs. Use the furthest one for measuring.
Then set the gain for each sub from your seating position. For ease, both subs can be at zero Phase for this. Measure one sub at a time with the other one switched off and around 70db - 72db should be ok.

When adjusting the Phase, have both subs on for this as you’re attempting to measure how they interact with each other. So furthest sub on zero Phase and closest sub is the one you’ll use for adjusting the Phase. Part of what you’re doing here is delaying the signal from the closest sub so it kind of blends with the other.
Then run ARC.

It’s a pain in the backside but ‘almost’ enjoyable :D

Thanks again Dodge,

Its now arrived and I've set it up,

I used the quick measure part of arc to set the levels. I set them both as close to 72db as I could around 72.1 / 72.2.

Then I adjusted the phase on the closest one again using arc quick measure, I adjusted it untill I had the highest db. It went up to 75.4db at 180 degrees out.

Set the front distance to + 3ft or so.

All went straight forward, only had a quick listen to it, and up to now the bass is miles better, and movement across the sound stage seems improved.

I'll play around with it over the next few days to see if any more improvements can be made.

Thanks for your help, if I've missed anything let me know cheers Mick

Nice one :smashin:

Don’t forget you’re trying to match the output from each sub from were you sit.

Hey guys, quick question. Has anyone used their iPhone/iOS to run ARC rather than PC Windows and microphone? Just wondering whether the results are comparable? I can't imaging the iPhone microphone being anywhere near as sensitive or accurate as a proper mic?

Still trying to sort out the to much bass in the vocals. After re running arc after adding a second subwoofer it changed room gain from 3.375 to 3.000.
The kids voices in super 8 are deep, Morgan Freeman voice on million dollar baby is so hard to make out as it's so deep and the woman's voices on rip off Britain tv show are too deep.

My set up is MRX 720 with Kef Q200 centre and Kef500 fronts.

Room Gain is at 3.000
Front left +2 crossover 80hz
Front right +3 crossover 80hz
Center +4 crossover 80hz

Does room gain cut bass to all speakers?
Is there a way of just reducing bass on the center?
Does the bass setting on the remote do the same as room gain?

Thanks in advance for any help

Still trying to sort out the to much bass in the vocals. After re running arc after adding a second subwoofer it changed room gain from 3.375 to 3.000.
The kids voices in super 8 are deep, Morgan Freeman voice on million dollar baby is so hard to make out as it's so deep and the woman's voices on rip off Britain tv show are too deep.

My set up is MRX 720 with Kef Q200 centre and Kef500 fronts.

Room Gain is at 3.000
Front left +2 crossover 80hz
Front right +3 crossover 80hz
Center +4 crossover 80hz

Does room gain cut bass to all speakers?
Is there a way of just reducing bass on the center?
Does the bass setting on the remote do the same as room gain?

Thanks in advance for any help
Have you got your ARC file handy?

Might have worked it out

upload_2019-1-25_12-13-48.png

upload_2019-1-25_12-14-22.png

upload_2019-1-25_12-16-6.png

upload_2019-1-25_12-16-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-25_12-15-2.png
    upload_2019-1-25_12-15-2.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 39
What sub(s) do you have? Where are they? Do you have a pic of your room?

Here's a quick update file, try it with some of the material you've already tried.

Attachments

• MRX 720 Duel Subs.zip
    270.5 KB · Views: 29

Here's a quick update file, try it with some of the material you've already tried.

Thanks for that, subs are 2 x BK XLS200 one is front left to the right of the left speaker about 1m away, the other is rear right behind a settee about1.5m away from the corner, Ill try and upload photos of my room

Thanks for your help, its definitely better, will try it tomorrow with a few more films/programs and let you know how I get on, thank you again

I've reattached the calculated file dose it look ok, there is a bit of a peak on the sub as it rolls off is that an issue?

Attachments

• MRX 720 Duel Subs_AVForum.zip
    293.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks for your help, its definitely better, will try it tomorrow with a few more films/programs and let you know how I get on, thank you again

I've reattached the calculated file dose it look ok, there is a bit of a peak on the sub as it rolls off is that an issue?
Looks fine. The only real issue is a lack of decent low-end, your subs aren't really getting going until 30Hz+, but they are 200s so probably within expectations.

How did you get on with testing?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom