Quantcast

Anthem MRX 520 / 720 / 1120 Series Owners

Diagnosticz

For me i am sure its sub placement, which is in the alcove corner next to the side wall of the window bay.

I can swap positions with the front left taking it away from the wall which might make a difference, but that is my only other position for placement If that does not help then a mini DSP for a good price would be good option :D

orange55

Yes I feel i am missing out in the lows on alot of content at first I thought it was just ARC taming the room for boom. But I now after seeing my sub graph it starts to roll off at around 40hz.
I think I may have found what might be the issue. Your sub has EQ settings and looking at the responce compared to the manufacturer manual it looks like you have it set on EQ2? If I am right then you need it on the Reference setting which will give you the flatness you are after. You'll need to rerun ARC.

I hope that is the case as then no repositioning or new sub needed.

Fingers crossed.

orange55

For me i am sure its sub placement, which is in the alcove corner next to the side wall of the window bay.

I can swap positions with the front left taking it away from the wall which might make a difference, but that is my only other position for placement If that does not help then a mini DSP for a good price would be good option :D
Right next to the wall is a good postion as the wall reinforces the response, plus it helps reduce the frequency bouncing off the walls and back to the listening position, which can muddy the sound also.

Diagnosticz

I think I may have found what might be the issue. Your sub has EQ settings and looking at the responce compared to the manufacturer manual it looks like you have it set on EQ2? If I am right then you need it on the Reference setting which will give you the flatness you are after. You'll need to rerun ARC.

I hope that is the case as then no repositioning or new sub needed.

Fingers crossed.
It is on Ref. I did replace the amp plate a couple of months ago though and noticed that I had to lower the gain alot to get 75db compared to the one it replaced. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. Mybe it's to do with a ported sub which I can plug to make a sealed?

What is your take on adjusting room gain and bass boost on the speaker wide settings. Room gain just increases DB levels to all speakers and not just the sub which I do not like.

I do not think its wise to mess with the low frequency extension on the sub settings?

Last edited:

orange55

It is on Ref. I did replace the amp plate a couple of months ago though and noticed that I had to lower the gain alot to get 75db compared to the one it replaced. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. Mybe it's to do with a ported sub which I can plug to make a sealed?

What is your take on adjusting room gain and bass boost on the speaker wide settings. Room gain just increases DB levels to all speakers and not just the sub which I do not like.

I do not think its wise to mess with the low frequency extension on the sub settings?
Ok, so next thing to try is blocking just the Right port.

Looking at this review that should flatten out the reponse and also increase the low end extension.

orange55

Yes you are right that messing with sub settings may not doing anything other than over stress the sub. It is best to get the best before ARC response that you can and then let ARC do it's thing. The dealer who installed my Lyngdorf system and is ARC trained said basicaly leave it on defaults and ARC will be able to do it's thing on the sub area.

Diagnosticz

Looking at this review that should flatten out the reponse and also increase the low end extension.

Thanks for this. It looks likely this is the issue I just had a look at the freq response graph with all possible port options and blocking the right port looks like the best option now I have to drag my pc and monitor back into the room to rerun ARC :facepalm:
image.jpeg

Diagnosticz

Ok so i have just completed a new sweep with the right port blocked as you will see by the sub graph it has now flattened out the response. High freq extension has been set to 140hz should i change that to 120hz

Now for some listening tests :smashin:

thanks for the info Orange :thumbsup:

Attachments

orange55

Ok so i have just completed a new sweep with the right port blocked as you will see by the sub graph it has now flattened out the response. Now for some listening tests :smashin:

thanks for the info Orange :thumbsup:
That looks much better, glad I could help.

One thing that still is going through my mind is does the level on the subwoofer itself need to be increased to give more heasdrom and allow ARC to push down the 50HZ peak and not have to raise the rest so much? I see it's on 12db in ARC.

Diagnosticz

One thing that still is going through my mind is does the level on the subwoofer itself need to be increased to give more heasdrom and allow ARC to push down the 50HZ peak and not have to raise the rest so much? I see it's on 12db in ARC.
I was actually thinking that. The gain level is set to what Audessey deemed as 75db. I might raise it after some listening and re run. One thing with the sub level in the amp settings is that it always shows it at +12 as my previous sweep ARC set it to +10 but showed it as +12 in the amp.

DodgeTheViper

I was actually thinking that. The gain level is set to what Audessey deemed as 75db. I might raise it after some listening and re run. One thing with the sub level in the amp settings is that it always shows it at +12 as my previous sweep ARC set it to +10 but showed it as +12 in the amp.
Did you hear back from Anthem ?

Diagnosticz

Did you hear back from Anthem ?
They told me to do a factory reset and upload the File again but it did not solve it when I explained it again they said it could be due to sub delay so I am still on ye dark. I will have to re run again with my sub gain raised see if that helps.

Diagnosticz

I think my sub gain is to low as I am not happy with the bass output its almost non existent and sounds worse. I think by gaining the lows I have lost the mid bass which I think is due to the subs tuning tuning the right port being blocked decreases mid bass. Anyway Round 2 this time with the gain raised

Diagnosticz

I think my sub gain is to low as I am not happy with the bass output its almost non existent and sounds worse. I think by gaining the lows I have lost the mid bass which I think is due to the subs tuning tuning the right port being blocked decreases mid bass. Anyway Round 2 this time with the gain raised and change the sub distance from 3 m to 5m as Audyssey set it at 5m even though it is 3.5 m away

DodgeTheViper

Apologies if you've already tried this and I've missed it. But have you lowered the Sub gain right down, maybe like 70db and run ARC to see the result ?

Diagnosticz

Apologies if you've already tried this and I've missed it. But have you lowered the Sub gain right down, maybe like 70db and run ARC to see the result ?
No I have left it as Audyssey set it during the sub matching at 75db. I do have a proper SPL meter but not sure if sub low frequency output would give me a accurate db reading.

Can you explain why you reccomend lowering to 70 db?

Diagnosticz

Would taking the port bung out not be an option even though I am changing the Characteristic of the how ARC measured the sub in the first place

DodgeTheViper

Possibly. I guess Quick Measure would let you know or the SPL Meter

orange55

No I have left it as Audyssey set it during the sub matching at 75db. I do have a proper SPL meter but not sure if sub low frequency output would give me a accurate db reading.

Can you explain why you reccomend lowering to 70 db?
Peronally I wouldn't bother with a SPL meter. How far round is the volume on the sub woofer? I would increase it by about a quarter and the rerun ARC and see what happens.

Diagnosticz

Sub is actually plus 80 db between 80-85 using a max measure SPL meter so I am not sure if Audyseey or the SPL is correct Audyssey measured at 75 db.

The speakers are all at 80db so my guess is the SPL is more accurate

now what o_O

orange55

Sub is actually plus 80 db between 80-85 using a max measure SPL meter so I am not sure if Audyseey or the SPL is correct Audyssey measured at 75 db.

The speakers are all at 80db so my guess is the SPL is more accurate

now what o_O
Well that sounds about right if you look at your graphs and the peak at 50hz, although in reality your sub won't be the flat green line ARC is suggesting in it's PDF.

I was suggesting to increase the sub level to force ARC to reduce the 50hz filter more and help bring up the surrounding frequencies. This may well help on the overall responce.

BTW: Where is the volume level set on the sub?

Diagnosticz

Well that sounds about right if you look at your graphs and the peak at 50hz, although in reality your sub won't be the flat green line ARC is suggesting in it's PDF.

I was suggesting to increase the sub level to force ARC to reduce the 50hz filter more and help bring up the surrounding frequencies. This may well help on the overall responce.

BTW: Where is the volume level set on the sub?
I will raise it and rerun it I'm getting the high db level as Its set on +12 the vol is at the rear it is very low as is
20191129_163947.jpg

orange55

Diagnosticz

I will raise it and rerun it I'm getting the high db level as Its set on +12 the vol is at the rear it is very low as is
View attachment 1226046
I removed the port bung and the mid bass is back aswell as the lows but I am not sure if that has giving me an unbalanced bass with the mains. I will place the bung back and rerun to get that flat response with the 20 hz lows and raise sub volume. I dont like the sound with the port blocked though so I will take it out post cal if that is recommended I so not know I guess if it sounds right then all good

Diagnosticz

I would set it to zero, straight up. That will also give you more headroom in the sub.
My older amp plate which failed used to play at 75 db at 10 O clock this new plate XTZ said better and newer components so more efficient. Which is why it plays higher at lower vol

But Seriously 0 that seems high as you can see its 80db on the vol gain is 8 o'clock?

I guess ARC will compensate