Anthem MRX 520 / 720 / 1120 Series Owners

You must use FAT32.

Hi guys, which brand of USB stick have you used to do a firmware update & what size?
I've tried 3 different brands, formatted in them every way you can but i still get a message of no update found.
Seems ridiculous you can't update via the net in this day & age.
Any decent make (SanDisk for instance) should do it, formatted FAT 32 I guess, never had an issue on mine

I must be doing something wrong somewhere then, i've tried FAT32 but no joy.

Hi
Yes i am using the front USB, trouble is as a MAC user i'm not at all clued up with Windows OS, it took me long enough to find out where the system tab was to open up the USB drive
What do you mean- is the .fw file in the root of the USB?
I basically format the drive in FAT32 & just drag the file in to it, i then click on the USB drive & it shows it as it under a 24mb file..
Sorry if that's a dumb question, god knows why Anthem can't make it both Windows & Mac OS compatable..

Hi
Yes i am using the front USB, trouble is as a MAC user i'm not at all clued up with Windows OS, it took me long enough to find out where the system tab was to open up the USB drive
What do you mean- is the .fw file in the root of the USB?
I basically format the drive in FAT32 & just drag the file in to it, i then click on the USB drive & it shows it as it under a 24mb file..
Sorry if that's a dumb question, god knows why Anthem can't make it both Windows & Mac OS compatable..
I think the newer releases will be, as the new ARC is compatible with both

File size sounds right, do you follow Anthem instructions and extract the file from the zip folder as they say?
Then when you load into the Anthem do you press and hold the center button and then front display tells you it's loading, or don't you get that far??

I think the newer releases will be, as the new ARC is compatible with both

File size sounds right, do you follow Anthem instructions and extract the file from the zip folder as they say?
Then when you load into the Anthem do you press and hold the center button and then front display tells you it's loading, or don't you get that far??

Just posted before you, but many thanks for taking the time to help

Now sorted & updating..

Now I've actually played around with ARC a bit more I can see how simple it is to make new profiles with the same measurements, and just disable the speakers I don't want. Doh. Don't know why I didn't try this before. Thanks for letting me know it's possible. I learnt something new today. :D

You found the tick boxes :smashin:

I'm playing aronud with setting up a proper music profile, currently 2.1 using the fronts and the sub. I'm happy with the low end but the top end is a bit harsh and vocals can be especially shouty and difficult to listen to at higher volumes. Peter Gabriel's album So is well produced but not right on here.
For movie playback I've no issue with the Movie profile, all seems good, and I've tweaked the music profile to match the speaker profiles for movie (as generously tweaked by Violator).
It could well be a limitation of my front speakers not being that musical (I've never been totally happy with the setup for music on them - Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floorstanders - the sub is a BK Monolith+).
Here's my current curves
upload_2019-2-10_11-29-40.png

upload_2019-2-10_11-29-56.png

upload_2019-2-10_11-30-25.png

The sub comes out at -6db which I turn up to -3dB
Any thoughts on what I can do to round off the top end a little?

Attachments

• MRX 720 Atmos Calibration 180906 BK M+ Sub 01 Violator with Music.zip
    240.7 KB · Views: 24
I'm playing aronud with setting up a proper music profile, currently 2.1 using the fronts and the sub. I'm happy with the low end but the top end is a bit harsh and vocals can be especially shouty and difficult to listen to at higher volumes. Peter Gabriel's album So is well produced but not right on here.
For movie playback I've no issue with the Movie profile, all seems good, and I've tweaked the music profile to match the speaker profiles for movie (as generously tweaked by Violator).
It could well be a limitation of my front speakers not being that musical (I've never been totally happy with the setup for music on them - Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floorstanders - the sub is a BK Monolith+).
Here's my current curves
View attachment 1117634
View attachment 1117638
View attachment 1117639
The sub comes out at -6db which I turn up to -3dB
Any thoughts on what I can do to round off the top end a little?

I also find music a little harsh and fatiguing with my 310 and Silver 8’s if I push the volume too much. My research pointed me towards a dedicated stereo amp, but I haven’t bought one yet to see if it improves music playback.

Have you tried without ARC?

In my profile the max EQ frequency defaults to 5000, Violator set this to 8000, but I can see there's still a dip in response from around 8000 to 17000.
If I set the Max EQ to 2000, this response then matches the target all the way to 20000.
Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to set the Max EQ this high?

In my profile the max EQ frequency defaults to 5000, Violator set this to 8000, but I can see there's still a dip in response from around 8000 to 17000.
If I set the Max EQ to 2000, this response then matches the target all the way to 20000.
Looking at your graphs and what you want from music. I would limit the eq to 2000 only. That will allow the dip above 2000 which will add depth to the music and remove the harshness you are talking about.

I did this in my system and works a treat. Our ears are sensitive in the high frequencies and a flat reponse is not ideal.

You may want to try a 8 or 9th order on the sub as this will flatten the sub response which can improve the music. If you get the black line to follow down the sub woofer response at 20hz. Again I did this and it really helped. I found the rounded curve didn’t tighten the bass enough.

I should have mentioned If you want to keep the room correction for music playback then a power amp may make more sense than a dedicated stereo amp. The idea with the dedicated stereo amp is you plug your source straight into that amp, bypassing the Anthem altogether thus giving up ARC. So if you like what ARC is doing to your music and you want to keep the Anthem as the preamp, you may get more value from a PA.

I also find music a little harsh and fatiguing with my 310 and Silver 8’s if I push the volume too much. My research pointed me towards a dedicated stereo amp, but I haven’t bought one yet to see if it improves music playback.

Moving the EQ down to 2000 did pull some harshness out of the top end, but it can still happen.
It's not the end of the world, as I don't get around to listening to much music on it's own on the system, and it's mainly films and games, but I thought I'd have a go at setting it up properly.
I'll look at some room treatment to see if I can soften the room off and see if that has an impact.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Moving the EQ down to 2000 did pull some harshness out of the top end, but it can still happen.
It's not the end of the world, as I don't get around to listening to much music on it's own on the system, and it's mainly films and games, but I thought I'd have a go at setting it up properly.
I'll look at some room treatment to see if I can soften the room off and see if that has an impact.
Also when ARC 3.0 comes out in spring you’ll be able to use custom curves which will help again. I’d wait till then for starters.

If lowering to 2000Hz didn't do the trick, then try down to 500Hz and just eq the bottom end, if no joy there then have a look at your speakers as you suggest
I tamed the top end on my system initially by setting 2000Hz and just playing

Agree with April release of ARC, think we may all benefit from the next upgrade

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom