Anthem MRX 520 / 720 / 1120 Series Owners

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 720 to upgrade from my Onkyo 5010, like the look of ARC and just bought a power amp so looking forward to some decent improvements.

ARC is excellent, I am not sure if it has been upgraded on the new X20 series.

The other option is the Arcam 550 which has Dirac which is also supposed to be very good.

Are you going Atmos / DTS-X?

ARC is excellent, I am not sure if it has been upgraded on the new X20 series.

The other option is the Arcam 550 which has Dirac which is also supposed to be very good.

Are you going Atmos / DTS-X?
Not planning on Atmos as only getting a 5 channel power amp and you can't assign on the Anthem. Another issue is I currently use zone 2 on the Onkyo for a screen trigger but the Anthem doesn't have that option and will be using the main trigger for the power amp. Is there another way to have a trigger when using HDMI out 2?

Not planning on Atmos as only getting a 5 channel power amp and you can't assign on the Anthem. Another issue is I currently use zone 2 on the Onkyo for a screen trigger but the Anthem doesn't have that option and will be using the main trigger for the power amp. Is there another way to have a trigger when using HDMI out 2?

Can't you get a 3.5mm audio splitter and run two cables from the trigger point?

Not sure on the new ones but previous MRX have got assignable 12v trigger.

So for instance you could have when you select input 1 (or whatever) the trigger is activated.
You can also have the same HDMI input for different input selections.
e.g
Input 1, HDMI 1 input - HDMI audio
Input 2, HDMI 1 input - HDMI audio

Edit, sorry you need two 12v triggers.
I am not sure how that would work

Can't you get a 3.5mm audio splitter and run two cables from the trigger point?
That would trigger when the amp is on which means it would trigger even when watching TV as the amp will be used for TV and films on projector.

I need a trigger that triggers just when HDMI 2 is used or projector is turned on.

That would trigger when the amp is on which means it would trigger even when watching TV as the amp will be used for TV and films on projector.

I need a trigger that triggers just when HDMI 2 is used or projector is turned on.
What you want is this:
Euroscreen® RF AutoLink trigger

It auto triggers the screen when you turn your projector off and on

Still loving my MRX-1120.

The audio decoding is stunning and sound quality is the best I have heard for an AV Receiver.

Surprisingly the 6 class D channels seem unflappable at high volumes too, I was fully expecting to have to add an extra Power Amp, but I don't feel the need.

So compact for an all in one solution with 11 channels of amplification, I'm still trying to get my head round it.:thumbsdow:cool:

Still loving my MRX-1120.

The audio decoding is stunning and sound quality is the best I have heard for an AV Receiver.

Surprisingly the 6 class D channels seem unflappable at high volumes too, I was fully expecting to have to add an extra Power Amp, but I don't feel the need.

So compact for an all in one solution with 11 channels of amplification, I'm still trying to get my head round it.:thumbsdow:cool:
What speakers are you driving?

Dali Ikon Phantom In Walls L and R, Phantom Vokal C, Kompass In Ceiling rear Heights, Fazon Sats front heights.
Adam Artist 6H actives L and R surround and Tannoy Reveal 402 rear surrounds.

Dual XTZ 12.17 Subs (amazing VFM and sound stunning in my room)

I am getting the 720 as currently using Onkyo 5010 to drive XTZ cinema, bought a power amp as well but will be running with just the anthem for a while so will be able to evaluate how much difference a power amp makes.

Last edited:
I've been exploring my upgrade options and up until this week was going to go with Yamaha, either the rxa2050 or 3050. But after visiting the movie rooms in Edinburgh I've been introduced to the Arcam 550 and Anthem 720. We had a demo of the 1120 and it sounded amazing, though out with my price range.

Considering the Arcam is around £400 cheaper, does the 720 justify the higher price tag? (In your opinion of course).

Very keen to hear how you get on with the 720 Mal. I'm running a Denon 4200 for now until I can get the money together for either an Arcam with Dirac or the Anthem 720. Using a power amp to drive my R series has added an amazing additional level of detail and clarity to mixes and the whole let is technically not even run in yet (maybe 10 hours total on it). Very excited to hear what good quality room correction can add to the fun!

Where did you buy from?

Very keen to hear how you get on with the 720 Mal. I'm running a Denon 4200 for now until I can get the money together for either an Arcam with Dirac or the Anthem 720. Using a power amp to drive my R series has added an amazing additional level of detail and clarity to mixes and the whole let is technically not even run in yet (maybe 10 hours total on it). Very excited to hear what good quality room correction can add to the fun!

Where did you buy from?
I've always had Onkyo and looking forward to going higher end so will be giving my honest opinions on here. I've just started playing with REW so the ARC looks great compared to Audyssey as you can see the result and tweak it. A lot of people are raving about Dirac as well but you can always download a demo on the laptop and try it before buying anything with it built in.
I'm getting it from Jag at Epic home cinema as I have had great service from him and he answers my texts at all hours.
I could have had it today but would have been a lot of hassle for Jag so getting it Monday.

I've been exploring my upgrade options and up until this week was going to go with Yamaha, either the rxa2050 or 3050. But after visiting the movie rooms in Edinburgh I've been introduced to the Arcam 550 and Anthem 720. We had a demo of the 1120 and it sounded amazing, though out with my price range.

Considering the Arcam is around £400 cheaper, does the 720 justify the higher price tag? (In your opinion of course).
I would go Anthem as I like the build quality and the sound quality is stunning.

I think the room correction is excellent and the balance of features and usability is spot on.
Arcam historically seem to have niggles that tend to put me off. IMO :rolleyes:

My 720 should be here Monday so will set it up next week and report back :)

I would go Anthem as I like the build quality and the sound quality is stunning.

I think the room correction is excellent and the balance of features and usability is spot on.
Arcam historically seem to have niggles that tend to put me off. IMO :rolleyes:

Yes I read through the 550 thread and there were more than a few complaints, I'm sure they will all be addressed in time. It's harder to find information about the Anthems though. I read through some of the thread for the last series and got the impression they were pretty reliable :smashin:

Is ARC more user friendly than Dirac?

Is ARC more user friendly than Dirac?
I am not qualified to answer that question as I have never used Dirac, but I was led to believe the Anthem is much more user friendly and gives very good results without further tweaking.

Am I right is thinking that I can run a 5.1.2 system using 5 channel power amp and using internal amp for front Atmos speakers?
Also that I can't run a 7.1.2 system unless I use an external 7 channel amp (or 5 & 2 channel amp)

What output would the 720 be driving all 7 speakers at 4 ohm?
I'm just trying to compare to my Onkyo 5010.

I'm having network connectivity issues with my new mrx 520. I've been trying to run the arc calibration and for some reason it wouldn't detect my 520 as being connected to the network. IP control was turned on and all settings were correct on the amp. It showed as being connected with a dhcp ip address. However arc couldn't pick it up, I went on over to my routers home page and discovered that the mrx was not visible on my router, or on any of my networked computers in the network screen.

I was using the firmware that came with the mrx which was version .22 I believe, I found a newer version (v35) online that says in the patch notes that it fixes connectivity issues. So I ran the usb update and arc instantly detected an mrx 520 on the network, so I go to click on it and nothing happens. Than the mrx stops even registering a connection to network at all, just simply says not connected in the network screen. I've gone through this process several times and every time it's the same. I can update the firmware, the network screen shows the mrx being connected to a network and it will pop up on arc. However if I try and run the arc calibration the screen disappears. If I switch any kind of network cable or turn the mrx off and on again it will now show as not being connected to a network.

I've tried multiple ethernet jacks and a direct connection to the modem. All other devices connected to the same jacks work instantly and register on my router. Sorry for the long description, anyone have any suggestions?

On my 710 I had to do a static connection to run ARC but the mrx was visible on the network and I had IP control. Instructions should be in the manual on how it's done, very easy.

I'm having network connectivity issues with my new mrx 520. I've been trying to run the arc calibration and for some reason it wouldn't detect my 520 as being connected to the network. IP control was turned on and all settings were correct on the amp. It showed as being connected with a dhcp ip address. However arc couldn't pick it up, I went on over to my routers home page and discovered that the mrx was not visible on my router, or on any of my networked computers in the network screen.

I was using the firmware that came with the mrx which was version .22 I believe, I found a newer version (v35) online that says in the patch notes that it fixes connectivity issues. So I ran the usb update and arc instantly detected an mrx 520 on the network, so I go to click on it and nothing happens. Than the mrx stops even registering a connection to network at all, just simply says not connected in the network screen. I've gone through this process several times and every time it's the same. I can update the firmware, the network screen shows the mrx being connected to a network and it will pop up on arc. However if I try and run the arc calibration the screen disappears. If I switch any kind of network cable or turn the mrx off and on again it will now show as not being connected to a network.

I've tried multiple ethernet jacks and a direct connection to the modem. All other devices connected to the same jacks work instantly and register on my router. Sorry for the long description, anyone have any suggestions?

I believe it is a known issue they are working on and it is to do with the compatibility of your router. I don’t suppose it is a BT one perchance? Whomever sold you the Anthem should be able to lend you a router that will get you up and running while Anthem sort the issue out.

P.S You only need the router for the set-up of ARC then you can get rid of it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom