Anthem MRX 520 / 720 / 1120 Series Owners

I know you have heard a lot from me. I have mine set at 1.6k as my speakers have a nice natural roll off and ARC actually boost the high frequency rather than reduce it as it would for your speakers.
Have you varied depending on speaker or are they all set to 1.6k ?do you mind if i see your pdf just to get an idea, did you mess with the high freq roll off tab at all ? I am very happy with the results but i think we all feel there is more room for improvement so i am trying to learn how all the adjustments tabs work

Is there a button on the remote to change profiles on the fly

Have you varied depending on speaker or are they all set to 1.6k ?do you mind if i see your pdf just to get an idea, did you mess with the high freq roll off tab at all ? I am very happy with the results but i think we all feel there is more room for improvement so i am trying to learn how all the adjustments tabs work
Here is my PDF file.

I have them all set to 1.6k. I didn't change any of the roll off, but my my speakers do allow you to adjust the high frequency by +/-3db. I have them set to -3db as the room is very lively and the sound was too bright.

For information my other system which is based around a Lyngdorf using RoomPerfect and MK Speakers has a similar sound curve.

Here is the Lyngdorf curve from REW.

lyngdorf.jpg

Attachments

• 10Nov.pdf
    279.8 KB · Views: 44
Can I connect a chromecast Audio to the Multi channel inputs until I get a 3.5mm to Optical cable

Edit my mistake i realised they are actually audio inpts and not mutli channel inputs so all good

Last edited:

Just found this which is the actual measurements of my Anthem by REW. I actually use the Red line for all listening.

I thought you may find this useful to see how the ARC graphs actually translate to the real curve.

ARC-Movie&MusicAverage.jpg

How do you find the redline bass output with the 2.5db room gain compared to the green.

I actually prefer to leave the room gain as ARC measured, i have tried 0.5-1db increase room gain and even though there is an increase in overall bass, i like how it is as is, currently at 3db as ARC measured it which has a better integration with my front three

How do you find the redline bass output with the 2.5db room gain compared to the green.

I actually prefer to leave the room gain as ARC measured, i have tried 0.5-1db increase room gain and even though there is an increase in overall bass, i like how it is as is, currently at 3db as ARC measured it which has a better integration with my front three
I have a tricky room in the fact the speakers are all in ceiling and the system is in half of an L shape room. Therefore the extra bass works well, but that I put that down to the room. Without it the bass sounds a bit thin.

That said in my other room the bass response is inline with the default ARC setting and if I raised it, there would be too much bass as you describe.

Was having a look at my sub graph and seems to roll off to soon . Should I be messing with the low frequency extension currently on 40hz and adjust to 30-20 hz ? Also should Is it advisable to adjust the low freq curve slope which is on 3rd?

PDF attached

Attachments

• ARC 21st NOV PROFILE 2.pdf
    497.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Is there a feeling of a lack of bass ?
Yes I feel i am missing out in the lows on alot of content at first I thought it was just ARC taming the room for boom. But I now after seeing my sub graph it starts to roll off at around 40hz.

The graph does show that tbf. It rises reasonably well but the roll off is early and pretty sharp.
I might lower lower freq to 30hz and not to change the curve to much

I managed to get this with mine. Admittedly not with a Anthem and achieved with the help of onboard PEQ.

How much do I have to spend get a graph like that.:eek: I have read some great things about the Ultras.

Surprisingly, I didn’t have to do much below 50Hz or so, that really took care of itself. The bulk of the work was between the 50Hz - 80Hz area. This is the range that usually causes most issues, be it placement or seating etc.
Some form of PEQ adjustment can help eliminate some of these issues. If the sub itself doesn’t allow it, then a miniDSP is the way to go.

With mine, the PEQ adjustments in the Subs was enough. With that in mind, I have a spare miniDSP doing absolutely nothing.

For me i am sure its sub placement, which is in the alcove corner next to the side wall of the window bay.

I can swap positions with the front left taking it away from the wall which might make a difference, but that is my only other position for placement If that does not help then a mini DSP for a good price would be good option :D

Yes I feel i am missing out in the lows on alot of content at first I thought it was just ARC taming the room for boom. But I now after seeing my sub graph it starts to roll off at around 40hz.
I think I may have found what might be the issue. Your sub has EQ settings and looking at the responce compared to the manufacturer manual it looks like you have it set on EQ2? If I am right then you need it on the Reference setting which will give you the flatness you are after. You'll need to rerun ARC.

I hope that is the case as then no repositioning or new sub needed.

Fingers crossed.

For me i am sure its sub placement, which is in the alcove corner next to the side wall of the window bay.

I can swap positions with the front left taking it away from the wall which might make a difference, but that is my only other position for placement If that does not help then a mini DSP for a good price would be good option :D
Right next to the wall is a good postion as the wall reinforces the response, plus it helps reduce the frequency bouncing off the walls and back to the listening position, which can muddy the sound also.

I think I may have found what might be the issue. Your sub has EQ settings and looking at the responce compared to the manufacturer manual it looks like you have it set on EQ2? If I am right then you need it on the Reference setting which will give you the flatness you are after. You'll need to rerun ARC.

I hope that is the case as then no repositioning or new sub needed.

Fingers crossed.
It is on Ref. I did replace the amp plate a couple of months ago though and noticed that I had to lower the gain alot to get 75db compared to the one it replaced. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. Mybe it's to do with a ported sub which I can plug to make a sealed?

What is your take on adjusting room gain and bass boost on the speaker wide settings. Room gain just increases DB levels to all speakers and not just the sub which I do not like.

I do not think its wise to mess with the low frequency extension on the sub settings?

Last edited:
It is on Ref. I did replace the amp plate a couple of months ago though and noticed that I had to lower the gain alot to get 75db compared to the one it replaced. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. Mybe it's to do with a ported sub which I can plug to make a sealed?

What is your take on adjusting room gain and bass boost on the speaker wide settings. Room gain just increases DB levels to all speakers and not just the sub which I do not like.

I do not think its wise to mess with the low frequency extension on the sub settings?
Ok, so next thing to try is blocking just the Right port.

Looking at this review that should flatten out the reponse and also increase the low end extension.

Yes you are right that messing with sub settings may not doing anything other than over stress the sub. It is best to get the best before ARC response that you can and then let ARC do it's thing. The dealer who installed my Lyngdorf system and is ARC trained said basicaly leave it on defaults and ARC will be able to do it's thing on the sub area.

Looking at this review that should flatten out the reponse and also increase the low end extension.

Thanks for this. It looks likely this is the issue I just had a look at the freq response graph with all possible port options and blocking the right port looks like the best option now I have to drag my pc and monitor back into the room to rerun ARC :facepalm:
image.jpeg

Ok so i have just completed a new sweep with the right port blocked as you will see by the sub graph it has now flattened out the response. High freq extension has been set to 140hz should i change that to 120hz

Now for some listening tests :smashin:

thanks for the info Orange :thumbsup:

Attachments

• ARC 29th NOV PROFILE 1.pdf
    191 KB · Views: 40
Ok so i have just completed a new sweep with the right port blocked as you will see by the sub graph it has now flattened out the response. Now for some listening tests :smashin:

thanks for the info Orange :thumbsup:
That looks much better, glad I could help.

One thing that still is going through my mind is does the level on the subwoofer itself need to be increased to give more heasdrom and allow ARC to push down the 50HZ peak and not have to raise the rest so much? I see it's on 12db in ARC.

That looks much better, glad I could help.

One thing that still is going through my mind is does the level on the subwoofer itself need to be increased to give more heasdrom and allow ARC to push down the 50HZ peak and not have to raise the rest so much? I see it's on 12db in ARC.
I was actually thinking that. The gain level is set to what Audessey deemed as 75db. I might raise it after some listening and re run. One thing with the sub level in the amp settings is that it always shows it at +12 as my previous sweep ARC set it to +10 but showed it as +12 in the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom