Any Caravan/Motorhome people out there, power question

Peeej

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Any caravaners or mohomers out there who can help?

I recently bought an old motorhome and want to run a raspberry pi in there as a media centre, connecting to it via its local wifi, and running the pi from the vans elctricity, however I have noticed that when the water pump kicks in the electricity sags slightly. I suspect that this power fluctuation is going to kill the Pi.

is there a way to ensure that the Pi has a steady power supply?

I thought about using a power bank and having that plugged in while it is powering the Pi but the one I have wont charge and power a devie at the same time.

ta

I'd say a new battery
Most water pumps run off the 12v supply but I haven't owned a caravan where the electricity drops when using other devices

thanks, I will check the lesiure batteries to make sure they are still good.

There are automotive power banks which can do that as well. Like the Cellink Neo. Wire that into your auxiliary battery as a buffer.

But ultimately I’d sort the original issue first and see how you get on.

I don’t own a motor home but pi will be 5v and your supply is 12v. If you have a voltage converter like a cigarette lighter socket with a USB port on it then it should handle the voltage dip just fine. I would expect your 12v dipping to maybe 10.5 which you may see lights dimming etc but the cigar lighter usb socket will be ok and still put out a consistent 5v.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom