Any heavy metal fans out there?

Geege

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've tried posting in music dedicated forums in the past but hardly anyone replies. The AV forums are great as there are so many members.

Anyway, I'd just like to discuss with like minded people anything to do with heavy metal music, being a big fan myself.

Is there anything you wish to debate about? What is your favourite bands and why? Where do you see metal music in 10-20 years time?

Cheers,
Paul :devil:

Master of Puppets is the greatest hm album of all time. Do you like Machine Head's first album. That's good n'all.:)

Hi Paul,

What sort of metal are you into?

I used to say I was a huge rock/metal fan, not the really heavy stuff generally but really into Guns n Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater etc.

Unfortunately my tastes don't seem to be the same as what is currently popular with the likes of Kerrang (mag and TV channel). I can't stand most of what they play on the channel and have all but given up watching.

I have bought albums by people like Slipknot and only liked say 1 track on the whole album. And that is usually the one that was released as a single.

There are some modern bands I am into, such as Lostprophets and Linkin Park. But in the main I just don't get excited about any music these days.

And i'm hardly old at 29! :rolleyes:

I would never buy a 'modern' heavy metal album. It's all been done before, and MILES better. The only hm artists you really need are Metallica and Black Sabbath. All others are generally superfluous. Also rans: Megadeth, Slayer and Iron Maiden.

I would never buy a 'modern' heavy metal album. It's all been done before, and MILES better. The only hm artists you really need are Metallica and Black Sabbath. All others are generally superfluous. Also rans: Megadeth, Slayer and Iron Maiden.

What a strange and short-sighted reply!!!! You tell some one to listen to Metallica as they are the only ones worth listening to but rubbish Iron Maiden for being an also ran:eek: . If it wasn't for Iron Maiden and the rest of NWOBHM then I very much doubt Metallica would have ever existed. Admittedly, Maiden did lose their way in the late 90's with some awful, IMO, stuff, but since Bruce has come back they are very much playing like they did in the 80's.

If the original poster wants to read a good music magazine then give Classic Rock a try. It's how Kerrang! used to be when it was good read in the 80's/early 90's.

Anyway, I first got into rock/metal about 1976 with Rush, UFO, Scorpions, Purple, Whitesnake, Sabbath, Queen, Slade and T-Rex being some of the early music I listened to. Got my first album in 1978, Killing Machine by Judas Priest. During the 80's it was all hair band music, Warrant, Ratt, Crue, Winger, Icon, Dream Theater, Cinderella, Vain etc etc and that's pretty much where my musical taste has stayed. Though I do listen to the harder, heavier side of things and always prefered Anthrax of Metallica. Nowadays, I just seem to listen to that era of music coz there is very, very little decent stuff coming through, though recently The Answer, Roadstar, Wolfmother and Black Stone Cherry have emerged with excellent debut albums which are all a step in the right direction.

To do a list of 5 desert island bands would be like this:

Queensryche
UFO
Whitesnake
AC/DC
Dio

Rock/Heavy Metal will be in exactly the same state it is today. Too many clone bands and no originality. Sadly it is dying a slow death but won't go the way of disco or (c)rap.

I am a huge metal fan, and have been for many years. I first got into Guns N Roses, and it all went from there! GnR straight to Metallica lol... But I have been through most of it - rock, hard rock, heavy metal, hair metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, industial metal, progressive - pretty much all of it!

If I was asked to name my top 5 bands of all time, I would probably say

Metallica
Dream Theater
Pantera
Pink Floyd
Guns N Roses/Iron Maiden (always a hard one to chose a final 5th)

I recently (last year or two) got into Dream Theater and I simply love them! I love the "math" aspect to the music (all the time sig changes, members playing in different time sigs to each other, the geekyness about it lol) from a musicians point of view, but also from a listeners point of view; they simply cater for pretty much everyone! From rock stuff to metal stuff, to progressive stuff, to soft/ballady stuff, to almost pop in places... Fantastic band....

Floyd - not a lot needed to be said really. Deffo one of the best and most influential bands of the last century.

Metallica I got into at a young age (bought the black album as my first Metallica record, but was listening a year or two before that to And Justice For All via my bolder brother) and they quickly became "my" band - and I;ve stuck with them ever since. Still cite them as my fave metal band, and fave band full stop really.

They then led me to Megadeth (from the Mustaine connection), and from there I went onto bands like Pantera, Maiden, Skid Row, Slayer, Sepultura, Machine Head, Motley Crue, etc... Then I went back in time to older bands - Motorhead, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Whitesnake, Warrent, Judas Priest - and agian to newer stuff; Fear Factory (Demanufacture would deffo come up as one of my top records aswell), Linkin Park, Biomechanical (think Dream Theater+Pantera+Metallica+Judas Priest x10 lol :D )

But I love all music really - rock, pop, metal, classical, country, jazz, soul, blues, etc - just not rap, hip hop, garage, drum n bass or jungle!!!!!!!!!!

Master of Puppets is the greatest hm album of all time. Do you like Machine Head's first album. That's good n'all.:)

Not sure I would go as far to say Puppets is the best album of all time (I could actually be very cliche and say that I think Dark Side Of The Moon is the greatest album of all time) but it is the standard by which every metal album is judged, and a true true classic!

Burn My Eye's (Machine Head's debut) is also a classic record - I love it, more so than any of their other albums.

I like most types of metal:

Likes: death, grind, , thrash, black metal, classic heavy metal, doom and only a few nu-metal bands

I don't mind: rap influenced metal, some nu-metal such as Nickleback, System of the down

Dislike: hardcore, punk, most nu-metal

I'm more a "Scuzz" man than "Kerrang" and like Terrorizer and Metal Hammer, but don't like Kerrang mag. I'm 27 years old.

Oh, and I hate this new "Emo" crap thats being churned out! Proper hate it lol.....

i was a in and out listner of metal music.
i knew of metallica, maiden, sabbath but never really listened to them.
then my mate at work lent me S&M and .....And justice for all.
lets say i've made it might my purpose to watch metallica live before i die.
music these days is crap, i'm sick of the whole "it just a lot of noise and shouting".

I'm also going to go as far as far having the 1st verse of nothing else matters in written music tattooed on my arm.

Oh, and I hate this new "Emo" crap thats being churned out! Proper hate it lol.....

What do you mean "Emo" what does this term refer to?

emotionl rock.
Groups like "the best band in the world" (acorrding to the likes of Kerrang) My Chemical Romnce, Aiden, Lost Prophets.
Or taken from wikipedia

At the end of the 1990s, the underground emo scene had almost entirely disappeared. However, the term emo was still being bandied about in mainstream media, almost always attached to the few remaining 90s emo acts, including Jimmy Eat World.

However, towards the end of the 1990s, Jimmy Eat World had begun to shift in a more mainstream direction. Where Jimmy Eat World had played emocore-style music early in their career, by the time of the release of their 2001 album Bleed American, the band had almost completely removed its emo influences. As the public had become aware of the word emo and knew that Jimmy Eat World was associated with it, the band continued to be referred to as an "emo" band. Newer bands that sounded like Jimmy Eat World (and, in some cases, like the more melodic emo bands of the late 90s) were soon included in the genre.

2003 saw the success of Chris Carrabba, the former singer of Further Seems Forever, and his project Dashboard Confessional. Carrabba's music featured lyrics founded in deep diary-like outpourings of emotion. Where earlier emo had featured lyrics of a more dark and painful direction, Carrabba's featured a greater focus on love won and lost and the inability to cope. While certainly emotional, the new "emo" had a far greater appeal amongst adolescents than its earlier incarnations.

With Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eat World's success, major labels began seeking out similar sounding bands. Just as many bands of the early-to-mid 1990s were unwillingly lumped under the umbrella of "grunge", some record labels wanted to be able to market a new sound under the word emo.

At the same time, use of the term "emo" expanded beyond the musical genre, which added to the confusion surrounding the term. The word "emo" became associated with open displays of strong emotion. Common fashion styles and attitudes that were becoming idiomatic of fans of similar "emo" bands also began to be referred to as "emo". (For further discussion, see Emo (slang).) As a result, bands that were loosely associated with "emo" trends or simply demonstrated emotion began to be referred to as emo.

In an even more expanded way than in the 90s, emo has come to encompass an extremely wide variety of bands, many of whom have very little in common. The term has become so broad that it has become nearly impossible to describe what exactly qualifies as "emo".

Correctly or not, emo has often been used to describe such bands as AFI, Alexisonfire, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Coheed and Cambria, Death Cab For Cutie, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Senses Fail, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, The Used, and Underoath.[8] The classification of bands as "emo" is often controversial. Fans of several of the listed bands have recoiled at the use of the "emo" tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as "emo". In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre. (The revulsion of some bands from the term emo is not unlike the retreat from the genre by the bands in the indie emo scene near the end of the 90s.)

As a result of the continuing shift of "emo" over the years, a serious schism has emerged between those who relate to particular eras of "emo". Those who were closely attached to the hardcore origins recoil when another type of music is called "emo". Many involved in the independent nature of both 80s and 90s emo are upset at the perceived hijacking of the word emo to sell a new generation of major label music. Regardless, popular culture appears to have embraced the terms of "emo" far beyond its original intentions.

In a strange twist, screamo, a sub-genre of the new emo, has found greater popularity in recent years through bands such as Thrice and Glassjaw. [9] The term screamo, however, was used to describe an entirely different genre in the early 1990s, and the new screamo bands more resemble the emo of the early 1990s. Complicating matters further is that several small scenes devoted to original screamo still exist in the underground. However, the new use of "screamo" demonstrates how the shift in terms connected to "emo" has made the varying genres difficult to categorize.

Even still, the difficulty in defining "emo" as a genre may have started at the very beginning. In a 2003 interview by Mark Prindle,[10] Guy Picciotto of Fugazi and Rites of Spring was asked how he felt about "being the creator of the emo genre". He responded: "I don't recognize that attribution. I've never recognized 'emo' as a genre of music. I always thought it was the most retarded term ever. I know there is this generic commonplace that every band that gets labeled with that term hates it. They feel scandalized by it. But honestly, I just thought that all the bands I played in were punk rock bands. The reason I think it's so stupid is that - what, like the Bad Brains weren't emotional? What - they were robots or something? It just doesn't make any sense to me.".

Or just watch this. Sums it up !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggK0ekmWJfY

Anyway, here are my favourite bands currently:

AC/DC
Napalm Death
Cannibal Corpse
Nile
Akercocke
Megadeth
Suffocation
Emperor
The Angels

There are loads other I really like and my tastes do change from time to time. AC/DC will always be be top band. I was brought up with them (I'm Australian) and like the pub blues rock sound.

I also agree that there is alot of crap being churned out nowaways - including music as described "emo"

Been a Maiden fan since about '85 - though absolutely hated the albums from NPFTD to the last one with Blaze. Bruck and Adrian coming back reignited them for me.

Deep Purple & Sabbath - have all their 70s albums, as well as Perfect Strangers
Rainbow & Dio - all the good albums
Whitesnake - all the stuff before the hair

Zeppelin - EVERYTHING (not metal, but transcends everything)

Metallica - everything though St Anger is a big steaming pile of fecal matter

Megadeth - Peace Sells

Anthrax - Among The Living, etc ... up to The Sound Of White Noise (classic!!)

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger and Superunknown (spooonmaaaaan!!!)

Alice In Chains - Dirt

Muse - excellent group (not metal I know)

I was into the metal of the early 70's then got right into the NWOBHM scene. Hammy Odeon was a second home to our gang and we saw many of the following there at that time.

AC/DC (VApollo + Castle donington)
Saxon
Def Leppard
Maiden
Whitesnake (although they rode the wave as it were)
Judas Priest
Sabs
Rainbow (before they went all 'pop')
Sammy Hagar
UFO
Van Halen
Motorhead
Scorpions

and many more lesser lights

Later I got into the likes of Metallica, Megadeth, in that wave, then Korn, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Stone Sour, from the current generation. Was never into 'hair metal' like Motley crue etc.

Of course my favourite band was back then (1978), and still is my favourite band, but I have never classed them as 'heavy metal'. Hell, some of it isn't even rock! Lep Zep III and IV in particular. Along with them, Rush (superb live), Alice Cooper (seen that fruitloop four times!) Yes, Aerosmith, Floyd (still the best band I've seen live - wall tour), early 70's Bowie, Mott the Hoople, T-Rex, 70's Queen, the Tubes, Wishbone Ash, ZZ top, are great bands I was into in the 70's (and still are) but all under the heavy rock rather than HM banner.

Chaddy - How long did it take you to write all that? The wikipedia definition would've been fine.:D

Seriously though, thanks for your input. I really do hate the likes of: - Aiden, Trivium, HIM, Good Charlotte etc..

I had the opportunity to see AC/DC live in Brisbane in 1991 (I was 12 years old). I was on a school trip and the teacher asked if I wanted to see them. I thought she was joking and said no (as a shy 12 year old, I was on a school trip, how was I supposed to know??") Anyway, I am kicking myself today and still haven't managed to see them live yet.

Does anyone know if AC/DC are still touring?

I had the opportunity to see AC/DC live in Brisbane in 1991 (I was 12 years old). I was on a school trip and the teacher asked if I wanted to see them. I thought she was joking and said no (as a shy 12 year old, I was on a school trip, how was I supposed to know??") Anyway, I am kicking myself today and still haven't managed to see them live yet.

Does anyone know if AC/DC are still touring?
Not at the moment. A new album is supposed to be underway, but it's all gone very quiet on the AC/DC front which is probably not a good sign.

Just an nostalgia trip, but I seem to remember seeing AC/DC at Liverpool Stadium around 1975 ish for 50p with three vouchers from the paper 'Sounds'.

Aah, Liverpool Stadium. What an awful venue that was!!

Phil

With well over 50 Deep Purple albums including assorted boots, I have to say they remain my number one band of all time :thumbsup: The spinoff bands such as Rainbow, Whitesnake and Gillan have all had their moments, too.

Led Zep retain a place close to my heart - when they rock, they rock... but I struggle with some of the folksy, whimsical stuff.

Iron Maiden through the years (with a couple of dull periods) have been exceptional.

Black Sabbath in various guises have always been near the top of my list.

Metallica for a period were there too.

With well over 50 Deep Purple albums... The spinoff bands such as... Whitesnake... too.

Led Zep retain a place close to my heart...
What did you think of that strange hybrid called Coverdale Page?
Sounded like a slicker version of classic bluesy WS (pre-1987) to me
- still listen to it now and again .... apparantly there's about half an album's worth of unreleased recordings intended for an aborted second album

Chaddy - How long did it take you to write all that? The wikipedia definition would've been fine.:D

Seriously though, thanks for your input. I really do hate the likes of: - Aiden, Trivium, HIM, Good Charlotte etc..

Trivium don't deserve to be listed alongside those other bands.
Have you ever listened to their 2005 album 'Ascendancy'?
IMO its the best metal album of the last 5 years - well worth a listen for anyone who likes metal new or old

The bands that grace my list would be

System of a Down
Mudvayne
Mordred
Soundgarden
Suicidal Tendencies
RHCP
RATM
Pearl Jam
Korn

and I had a strange soft spot for The Almighty.

The bands that grace my list would be

System of a Down
Mudvayne
Mordred
Soundgarden
Suicidal Tendencies
RHCP
RATM
Pearl Jam
Korn

and I had a strange soft spot for The Almighty.

Best collection of bands so far mate - I'm with you here. Suicidal at there best were incredible. And Mordred's 'Vision' Is a great, if rather too short, album/EP.

From the same era I'd also go for Corrosion Of Conformity and Faith No More.

These days I mostly listen to Industrial Metal tho. Manson, Rob Zombie & Rammstein for preference. Deftones and Clawfinger have their moments too. Tho they would probably claim they aren't Industrial at all.

Hmmm Heavy Metal.........reading most of these posts looks like a who's who of classic rock, not really cutting edge metal at all..........Zep were a blues band in essence with a heavy vibe, most bands with the exception of Sabbath and Maiden were simply a derivative of Cream....ie heavy blues (Im talking about pre 80s music here ).

I have re-read these posts a couple of times with the intention of posting and then could'nt figure out exactly what passes for Heavy metal anymore. Do you split it into Death Metal, Thrash, Punk, Black, Speed, prog, Industrial etc etc and where does more straight forward hard rock fit.

So, my answer would be yes, I'm a big fan of heavy music.........but Deep Purple (soft metal ? Melodic Metal) and AC/DC(Surely plain hard rock?) just dont fit my idea of metal.

Hard Rock......then try out High On Fires......Blessed Black Wings or Sleater Kinney-The Woods.

I find Motorhead fits my definition of Heavy metal, Slayer, Machine head, System of A Down, Pantera seem like the obvious ones and you have to give Black Sabbath a nod as they sort of re-invented the doom chord.

Then you get the Metallic with Progressive.......that will be Tool and Mastodon.

But what about bands like Cult of Luna,The Dillinger Escape plan and Sikth...math metal it's called.

I would stick Metallica under Melodic Metal, although they tried to get out of that little trap with St Anger.

RHCP......metal ???? I would say its just funk with a heavy edge, try fitting Bad Brains...I against I, or Rage Against the Machine into a similar bracket.

Then you have Faith No More and Mr Bungle and The Fantomas....Metal ?? Difficult to work out.

No one has mentioned Nirvana.........pop tinged metal, how about Tad (is that heavy rock ?)

If you really want to confuse the issue then buy the Melvins latest album -A Senile Animal

Get an earful of Killing Jokes 2003 album......industrial metal...who knows ???

Now I have not even touched on Mudhoney, Alice in Chains, L7, Fudge Tunnel, Soundgarden, QOTSA, Clutch, Black Flag, Korn, Deftones etc etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom