Any information on the Hisense U8B TV?

Hi everyone!
I got this TV in Romania ad I've been using it here for a month already so I don't know if any of the issues I have had here match others'...
I must say I was very enthusiastic at first, as U8B seemed to be a cheap TV with top specs like Dolby Vision, Atmos (?)
But I realised soon it wasn't that great. I mean the image is brighter than the average, but there are quite some glitches that I have discovered in time:
1)No DV movie that I have played using the internal USB displays ANY subtitles whatsoever!
2)Regardless the video file type, Subtitles (on USB player) are OFF by default no matter if you exit the movie and play it again, you have to check ON again (Annoying as hell);:mad:
3)Sometimes the TV shows No TV Programs and I need to Power reset it (unplug and re-plug it)
4) One time, all the channels were displaying a weird 4:3 aspect ratio that I couldn't change. It was solved again by power reset;:thumbsdow
5) Netflix issues: Dolby Vision movie aren't playing smoothly as they should the first time, not even the second time, so I had to hit back button twice and re-openthe movie twice to make it play with that "smooth motion " effect; I have been doing this for 37 days already, as NO firmware update was released for my 55U8B TV set!

That's it for now, but I remember there were many other issues. Now, did Any of you notice all the above? Have you managed to fix any of them? I hear that the J1204 firmware update was kind of faulty and they stopped it until everything will be solved. I am currently running the ......J1016 software version. Extended version : J1017. I've been in contact with a Hisense Sales representative and that is how I know that the next update will be released only after all the problems will be fixed...

Thank you for your replies!

Hi everyone!
I got this TV in Romania ad I've been using it here for a month already so I don't know if any of the issues I have had here match others'...
I must say I was very enthusiastic at first, as U8B seemed to be a cheap TV with top specs like Dolby Vision, Atmos (?)
But I realised soon it wasn't that great. I mean the image is brighter than the average, but there are quite some glitches that I have discovered in time:
1)No DV movie that I have played using the internal USB displays ANY subtitles whatsoever!
2)Regardless the video file type, Subtitles (on USB player) are OFF by default no matter if you exit the movie and play it again, you have to check ON again (Annoying as hell);:mad:
3)Sometimes the TV shows No TV Programs and I need to Power reset it (unplug and re-plug it)
4) One time, all the channels were displaying a weird 4:3 aspect ratio that I couldn't change. It was solved again by power reset;:thumbsdow
5) Netflix issues: Dolby Vision movie aren't playing smoothly as they should the first time, not even the second time, so I had to hit back button twice and re-openthe movie twice to make it play with that "smooth motion " effect; I have been doing this for 37 days already, as NO firmware update was released for my 55U8B TV set!

That's it for now, but I remember there were many other issues. Now, did Any of you notice all the above? Have you managed to fix any of them? I hear that the J1204 firmware update was kind of faulty and they stopped it until everything will be solved. I am currently running the ......J1016 software version. Extended version : J1017. I've been in contact with a Hisense Sales representative and that is how I know that the next update will be released only after all the problems will be fixed...

Thank you for your replies!

Have you actually raised issue ticket with hisense regarding all issues you have?
Looking at your list all are software related, but as hardware goes I think pictually quality not much to complain?

Should I get the 65 inch of this (if I find it) oe wait for the 2020 models. Could you imagine much improvement?
Price wise get now as older models will be more cheaper anyway. Depending where you are - if UK then there is no point to wait as they not bringing top end models to UK anyway...

Yeah I know the USA are getting the HG9 etc but surely the UK's 2020 U8B replacement should be better? Difficult to say without specs.

I was going to get the Sony XG95 for example and then caught myself on since a lot of use will be my son and wife.

Yeah I know the USA are getting the HG9 etc but surely the UK's 2020 U8B replacement should be better? Difficult to say without specs.

I was going to get the Sony XG95 for example and then caught myself on since a lot of use will be my son and wife.

I am personally not very keen on hisense idea not to import top end models to UK. That purely means they haven't got market for it, hence their support will be minimal here...
If its for wife and son then hisense will do for now, just keep in mind you might want to buy tv box or something as built in stuff is poor:) Sony has substantial price mark, but then again better software, support, panel etc... This year should bring prices down as competition is growing with other manufacturers entering tv market but as usual prices for new models will be high in the beginning.

Ive got Sky Q so I will likely never use their OS unless I use the onboard Netflix or Prime.

Ive got Sky Q so I will likely never use their OS unless I use the onboard Netflix or Prime.

Well considering saving £500 I think not much to think here. Shame costco run out of stock as they had best price with warranty. At the of the day you can buy and return it if don't like :)

Have you actually raised issue ticket with hisense regarding all issues you have?
Looking at your list all are software related, but as hardware goes I think pictually quality not much to complain?
Hi, yes I wanted to raise a ticket. But Hisense Support kind of lacks in Romania, this TV is very new here. I have managed to get in touch with a salesrepresentative though. As I just said he told me the latest firmware update - the J1204 - was "stopped due to a playready key damage issue":censored:
I do hope whenever they will issue an update, again, many of the above problems (if not all) will be fixed. The U8B's image is clear, nice, but there are so many glitches around this VIDAA 3.0
Thanks for your reply !:)

Last edited:

I managed to record it after trying to hold my phone steady for 29 minutes.

This is what I was on about in my last comment! How many people are experiencing this?

Also, are we all using extended J907? My TV has never downloaded a single software update. Has anyone successfully updated and, if so, how? Also, did it fix this weird issue?

This is what I was on about in my last comment! How many people are experiencing this?

Also, are we all using extended J907? My TV has never downloaded a single software update. Has anyone successfully updated and, if so, how? Also, did it fix this weird issue?

I've seen that unfortunate effect too! Regarding software version, I am using the extended J1017 ! (J1016) I am not sure if the TV came like this from the manufacturer (December 2019) or it has updated right after first use...
As I have already said no OTA update is currently available due to some "CRM key error" Perhaps the UK support can provide you with one, via email?

Last edited:

J0907 is FW for 7th Sept 2019. Even the French site only has J0713 which is 13th July, and they are usually up to date. So your FW is only a few months old. How often do you expect an update?

J0907 is FW for 7th Sept 2019. Even the French site only has J0713 which is 13th July, and they are usually up to date. So your FW is only a few months old. How often do you expect an update?

Can you please provide a link to the mentioned update? I could never found ANY firmware updates available on any of the Hisense sites!

Can you please provide a link to the mentioned update? I could never found ANY firmware updates available on any of the Hisense sites!
It's here..
Look under product support.

Hisense.fr have always had links to FW for all their TVs. The UK support site is pathetic.

But like I said, your FW is a later revision to the one on there and only 4 months old. You may be better contacting Hisense UK to see if there is anything later.

It's here..
Look under product support.

Hisense.fr have always had links to FW for all their TVs. The UK support site is pathetic.

But like I said, your FW is a later revision to the one on there and only 4 months old. You may be better contacting Hisense UK to see if there is anything later.

Thank you @BossC I have already accessed the link. What I meant was that there is NO Download related to ANY of the mentioned software revisions/versions. I couldn't find such a link while surfing on diferrent Hisense websites. LG and Samsung used to post - and I guess they still do - links to the latest firmware/software upgrades if they are available. I have already contacted Hisense UK, Germany and Romania. The only ones who replied were the germans and romanians, but from Hisense.de they told me that I should Only use a software update for Romania, since the TV was bought here. I am still waiting the Romanian Support's reply, because the glitches I've experienced by now were quite many and sometimes even annoying...

Good Evening. I haven't seen dolby atmos on netfix yet I only see dolby vision. Do you know something about it?

can someone share Image settings? i can't find anything in the internet

For anyone still following this thread, I emailed Hisense international support (as I can’t find ANY UK support for Hisense!) requesting the latest firmware on Friday. I’ve not heard back yet but if they get back to me, I’ll upload the file and post a link in here :)

Also, with regards to picture settings, I’m not by my TV at the moment but I do have the following suggestions:
- local dimming: I normally have it set to medium, else you get noticeable light band around bright objects. Also, subtitles will make the center of the screen glow as they’re white.
- smoothing I have set to “clear”. Gets rid of judder without getting too much soap-opera effect.
- if you’re using a fire TV, go to settings and enable variable frame rate. It’ll match the TV refresh rate to the video you’re watching (eg 24hz). If using Plex, you need to enable it in Plex’s settings too

thank you, let me know if i need to change other signifcant settings

For anyone still following this thread, I emailed Hisense international support (as I can’t find ANY UK support for Hisense!) requesting the latest firmware on Friday. I’ve not heard back yet but if they get back to me, I’ll upload the file and post a link in here :)

Good fellow. I have waited for that update for a month now... \

Last edited:
any answer for that?

Hello, I for one haven't "seen" nor heave I heard any Atmos movie there. Anyway, I suspect Dolby Atmos on Hisense U8B at least is only an "emulation" of some sort.

Hello, I for one haven't "seen" nor heave I heard any Atmos movie there. Anyway, I suspect Dolby Atmos on Hisense U8B at least is only an "emulation" of some sort.
The TV officially supports dolby atmos and I think maybe a problem whith updating the netflix application ........

The TV officially supports dolby atmos and I think maybe a problem whith updating the netflix application ........

There is No way to update the Netflix app or at least I couldn't find one by now. Maybe thru the software update? I also haven't updated the TV software, cause temporarily in my country OTA update isn't possible

Last edited:
There is No way to update the Netflix app or at least I couldn't find one by now. Maybe thru the software update? I also haven't updated the TV software, cause temporarily in my country OTA update isn't possible
In Greece when I connected the TV did 2 updates.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom