Any Recommendations in Shares to Invest in?

Serious question: Just Curious :)

Say I wanted to buy Tesla Shares. Not many, let's say £1000 worth.
How would I safely/reliably go about it, and where would I do it without incurring large fee's/spending over the odds to officially own them?

You should find the are many providers who will let you trade for c. £12 per transaction. Some will charge a holding fee (which they may give you back in transaction fee credits). You will have to pay stamp duty also to buy - that is proportional to the number of shares.

If you say you are going to pay £30 to buy and sell plus stamp, that is 3%. So you need to be looking to make > 3% return to be in profit.

£1,000 would most likely get eaten up in charges.
Sorry but that's just untrue and ridiculous unless you read that as £10 or £100?

Easiest way is to either sign up with somebody like Hargreaves Lansdown and trade there or get some thing like a Revolut card/account which allows you to buy shares. The good thing with Revolut is you can also buy part shares which means it's easier to invest smaller amounts.

Ideally I'd like something that costs about £1 a share now, and goes up to £100 a share over the next 10 years.
Going from £500 a share to £750 a share isn't of any real interest and a lot to risk.

The £1 to £100 jump is what I'm more looking for, if anyone can recommend something like that.

Ideally I'd like something that costs about £1 a share now, and goes up to £100 a share over the next 10 years.
Going from £500 a share to £750 a share isn't of any real interest and a lot to risk.

The £1 to £100 jump is what I'm more looking for, if anyone can recommend something like that.

<subscribed>

Evidence?
Platform fees are typically 0.3% and if you go for safe fund then add transaction fees or account fees - Selftrade charge £4.99 per quarter for each wrapper account which would reduce the £1,000 by about two percent each year so you need to choose investments with a noticeable return/growth.
At £10,000 then you are more able to choose safer investments.
I was lucky to have bought a fund with Tesla as a significant part of their portfolio a little before the price shot up and I sold straight away.
Just as well because it does seems to attract impulsive traders and the price lost most of it's quick gain.

Personally I would go for a solid stock not Tesla but each to their own.

yeah , we would all like that !

£100 to £1 is more likely, particularly at the moment.

Platform fees are typically 0.3% and if you go for safe fund then add transaction fees or account fees - Selftrade charge £4.99 per quarter for each wrapper account which would reduce the £1,000 by about two percent each year so you need to choose investments with a noticeable return/growth.
At £10,000 then you are more able to choose safer investments.
I was lucky to have bought a fund with Tesla as a significant part of their portfolio a little before the price shot up and I sold straight away.
Just as well because it does seems to attract impulsive traders and the price lost most of it's quick gain.

Personally I would go for a solid stock not Tesla but each to their own.

Why would there be a platform fee for holding a share? Pick wisely - something like H&L and it is a flat £12 to buy and sell (or less if you do more trading) with no other fees to erode the holdings.

You might be better with a stocks and shares ISA. Pay into it monthly. I use Jupiter Unit Trust Managers.

Seriously though.

The time to make money and the time for new things to move from nothing to something amazing is at potentially pivotal times of change and not the normal ticking over of a society.

I'd argue NOW much of the world is at a point of potential pivotal change in many aspects.

What now, will be huge, following this we are going thru now in 10 years time?

If I knew that I would keep quite in order to avoid upsetting the apple cart.

Seriously though.

The time to make money and the time for new things to move from nothing to something amazing is at potentially pivotal times of change and not the normal ticking over of a society.

I'd argue NOW much of the world is at a point of potential pivotal change in many aspects.

What now, will be huge, following this we are going thru now in 10 years time?

Let us know when you find out - dry powder ready.

Just imagine in 20 years time, everyone wearing AR glasses/contacts, and it would highlight in real time people around you with any medical contagious issues.

Could almost be done now, albeit not in a very practical manner.
You just need more data and a nice way to overlay it on the real world.

AR is going to be bigger than the Smartphone by miles.

I remember AR being talked about thirty years ago.

Just imagine in 20 years time, everyone wearing AR glasses/contacts, and it would highlight in real time people around you with any medical contagious issues.

Forget contagions - just flag up who is looking for a hookup.

Go all in on Google Glass...

I wonder how many people have worn them in high security areas, complete with camera.

^ Well, it's just trying to launch a product before the tech is there.
Like the iPhone.

It's not just that, no one had thought about it, it's that the individual parts had not matured to a level where it was possible to combine the elements into a single small device.

You can't make a nice car unless you can make metal, extract plastics from oil, invent electricity blah blah.

For AR we need the display, the computing power, the battery, the rest is almost the easy bit?

As far as I know right now, Apple will do this like they did the watch and offload the power to the iPhone, so that's solved. They just need to get the battery and display into something small enough that people would be happy to wear it.

Contact lens's a lot further off I'd imagine, though I know it's being "Looked into!" ;)

Perhaps it will be like the iPhone. The 1st one comes out, which finally brings it together, but it's not great, however, it's the starting point, and then over the next 10 - 20 years as everyone refines every part of it, we get to a point when it becomes the norm.

by 2050 almost everyone wearing AR device, as if you don't you are missing out on so much?

I wonder how many people have worn them in high security areas, complete with camera.

If everyone is wearing them, you will instantly know if someone else's camera is currently recording.
Perhaps it will be considered rude in various situations to have the camera running.

If everyone is wearing them, you will instantly know if someone else's camera is currently recording.
Perhaps it will be considered rude in various situations to have the camera running.

This episode of Black Mirror did not go well

Well, we all learn from things.
Neil Armstrong did not land on the moon with Phasers in stun, as they learned killing the 1st alien you see can cause issues.

Back on topic........ Problem now seems to be, the tech is so advanced that it's only the few that can devote the money/time to develop this.
Any small start-up which looks like they might have a good idea, are snapped up by the big boys.

We all know the whole industry is waiting to see what Apple does with AR, as Apple won't do it, till they think it's something they have that is not just a prototype.
Sure it's going to be rough, like an Apple Watch v1, but it will be most probably be the real starting point.

Trouble is, Apple shares are so stupidly high now, to make any decent % you'd need to invest tens of £1000's :(

It is important that the main element of technology is people which means that you can go from "Now we are gods!" to "What a piece of junk!" in six months.
Be careful of the shiny stuff including Tesla.
Apple's share price has more than doubled in five years and the dividend has been 2.4 percent over the past year (roughly) which takes care of inflation.
Flashy? No.
Good investment? Yes - for now like any other investment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom