Any Recommendations in Shares to Invest in?

To make big money you need to spot the next big thing before everyone else. If your taxi driver tells you about a great share they have bought, SELL

Problem now seems to be, the tech is so advanced that it's only the few that can devote the money/time to develop this.
Not necessarily. Again, looking at Tesla...nobody was interested and they launched at $17 a share under 10 years ago. Not snapped up by anybody.

Your real problem is knowing what's going to be big and knowing what company going to make it big is almost impossible if you want the really huge gains.

I am seriously considering joining the beige side and buying some Apple shares!
The dividend in the last quarter went from $0.77 per share to $0.82.

Explain please

What I mean is, and correct me if I'm wrong here.

If far easier to imagine and to happen for a small/ish companies shares to go from £1 each to £2 each, to perhaps £10 each. As investors get excited about what's emerging from such a new-ish company.

Than it is for Apple shares to go from the current $290 to $580 or $2900 each

Though, thinking about it, I'm talking bollocks, as you'd still get more money back from a large share moving a bit than a small share moving a lot.

Hang on, let's think about this.

So, I invest in 1000 £1 shares and it cost me, £1000, they double and I make £1000 profit.

I invest 1000 in say four Apple shares at $250, to make 1000 profit, the shares would need to jump from $250 to $500 each.

No, I don't think I am talking bollocks.....
IMHO I'd take a stab in the dark and say it's easier for a company to get it's shares to move from £1 to £2 is they are coming out with something, than it is for a very establish company to move from 250 to 500.

gut feeling :)

Not necessarily. Again, looking at Tesla...nobody was interested and they launched at $17 a share under 10 years ago. Not snapped up by anybody.

Your real problem is knowing what's going to be big and knowing what company going to make it big is almost impossible if you want the really huge gains.

100%
Indeed, though be honest, we should have seen electric cars coming.
It was just knowing who was going to be "Out There" enough to make it actually become a reality.
And Elon is without question a very special individual.
Without Him and Tesla, we'd be still pretty much nowhere with electric cars IMHO.

I would hold off given storage costs plus that situation is coming from Russia and Saudi Arabia are playing "mine is bigger than yours".

What I mean is, and correct me if I'm wrong here.

If far easier to imagine and to happen for a small/ish companies shares to go from £1 each to £2 each, to perhaps £10 each. As investors get excited about what's emerging from such a new-ish company.

Than it is for Apple shares to go from the current $290 to $580 or $2900 each

Though, thinking about it, I'm talking bollocks, as you'd still get more money back from a large share moving a bit than a small share moving a lot.

Hang on, let's think about this.

So, I invest in 1000 £1 shares and it cost me, £1000, they double and I make £1000 profit.

I invest 1000 in say four Apple shares at $250, to make 1000 profit, the shares would need to jump from $250 to $500 each.

No, I don't think I am talking bollocks.....
IMHO I'd take a stab in the dark and say it's easier for a company to get it's shares to move from £1 to £2 is they are coming out with something, than it is for a very establish company to move from 250 to 500.

gut feeling :)

Ok I get it - I think the term you are looking for is Market Capitalization - the total value of the company. The value of the share price is neither here nor there. Here is Apple:

1588422228752.png

We can see here their Market Cap (top right) is 1.265 TRILLION dollars - this is the number of dollars you will need to buy Apple. The number of shares in issuance (bottom left) is currently 4.375 billion. So if we divide the first by the second we get that one share of the company is 289 dollars - which is the current share price (top left).

So the price of a share is totally arbitrary - Apple could do a 'stock split' say and say there are now 43.75 billion shares each worth $28.9, or a reverse split and say each of 437.5 million shares was worth $2890. This changes nothing - either way the profit/loss formula is profit = (sell price - buy price) * shares held.

So what you want to ask is not whether the share price can double but whether the Market Cap can double - can Apple be worth $2.4TN, or $3.6TN or $4.8TN etc.

Maybe a much smaller company is worth $1 million - you might say there was a better chance of them going to $2 million than Apple going to $2.4TN. But you might also say there is more chance of them going to zero - you've only got to look up the thread to see an example of the next big thing going pop.

Last edited:
To make big money you need to spot the next big thing before everyone else. If your taxi driver tells you about a great share they have bought, SELL

My shares in Fake Taxi are doing very nicely thankyou very much, certainly keeping my pecker up ;)

My shares in Fake Taxi are doing very nicely thankyou very much, certainly keeping my pecker up ;)
Make sure you get out before it's too late

100%
Indeed, though be honest, we should have seen electric cars coming.
It was just knowing who was going to be "Out There" enough to make it actually become a reality.
And Elon is without question a very special individual.
Without Him and Tesla, we'd be still pretty much nowhere with electric cars IMHO.

He may be special but there's also huge volatility in their business because of him, just the other day he tweeted the stock price was too high and by the end of trading £11Bn had been wiped off their valve and it's not the first time something like that has happened. I would agree he's been a bit of a visionary but that doesn't automatically equate to value for an investor

You may be better investing in a technology fund, you're unlikely to get the huge gains everyone's searching for but a heck of a lot of the risk will be removed. I use ii (interactive investor) for an ISA they have some good articles on their website

The Ian Cowie portfolio: how I would access this technology boom

Another couple of good websites are Trustnet and Morningstar

Trustnet's fund selection filters are pretty good.

^ Well, it's just trying to launch a product before the tech is there.
Like the iPhone.

It's not just that, no one had thought about it, it's that the individual parts had not matured to a level where it was possible to combine the elements into a single small device.

You can't make a nice car unless you can make metal, extract plastics from oil, invent electricity blah blah.

For AR we need the display, the computing power, the battery, the rest is almost the easy bit?

As far as I know right now, Apple will do this like they did the watch and offload the power to the iPhone, so that's solved. They just need to get the battery and display into something small enough that people would be happy to wear it.

Contact lens's a lot further off I'd imagine, though I know it's being "Looked into!" ;)

Perhaps it will be like the iPhone. The 1st one comes out, which finally brings it together, but it's not great, however, it's the starting point, and then over the next 10 - 20 years as everyone refines every part of it, we get to a point when it becomes the norm.

by 2050 almost everyone wearing AR device, as if you don't you are missing out on so much?

Here you go - a chance to get in on the ground floor.

As an engineer I have several questions:
  1. How is it powered?
  2. If power is internal, how long does the power last? They are aiming for 25 hours
  3. If the device fails for any reason will the overlay be transparent?
  4. Would I be correct in assuming that the user carries a device which transmits data to the lens and is used to control the lens?
  5. How much?
  6. Given one of their objectives is night vision will everything fit in the lens?
They are still in the development stage so let's see.

For the sake of conversation:
- freetrade is a reasonable app to buy shares, no trading costs. You won’t get the best price as they’ll take a minute to fill orders but fine for buying and holding in my opinion. Similar idea to Robinhood in the USA
- I moved mostly into cash in my S&S ISA as I think we’ll see another drop soon. Although timing the market is basically impossible.
- managed to buy shares in Disney at the bottom of the recent drop then sold half as they increased. Probably won’t top this back up but do like the company.
- before Coronavirus hit, I liked Virgin Galactic as a share to have a bet on. Wouldn’t be surprised if it went up in price by x10 or go to nothing. Need to take another look at this.
- crypto is another asset that could be worth a bet. I’m holding some of the 5 biggest coins and like with Virgin it may be worth a fortune or worth nothing soon.
- anyone else attempting to time the market or just carrying on as normal?

I’ve doubled down on REAT. I held £500 from back in the day which had shrunk to almost nothing. Turns out they are a cleaning company and COULD benefit from the post COVID world of regular cleaning so I’ve added a little more to reignite my interest.

Not a recommendation in any sense and DYOR before investing

I have been studying Hydrogen power for a couple of months and I think the government will start pushing it. It is the whole idea that the fuel is made on site with the only waste being water. So my suggestion for a share but as said already do your own research:
ITM power PLC.
Hope Some people invested, now 600% up on my original price. (I haven't made that but not far off, as you know I sell and reinvest).

Also another one I posted was Velocys plc (Roman Abramovich owns 45%) and they have the planning app meeting today for their plant in Stallingborough near me. They have nearly doubled since I mentioned.

Hope Some people invested, now 600% up on my original price. (I haven't made that but not far off, as you know I sell and reinvest).

Also another one I posted was Velocys plc (Roman Abramovich owns 45%) and they have the planning app meeting today for their plant in Stallingborough near me. They have nearly doubled since I mentioned.

I've invested in ITM, CWR and Velocys a few months ago. Excellent returns.

What do people think of Aston Martin shares.
They are rock bottom. I don’t see this company going under even with Covid19 about.
At some point in the “Distant“ future things will improve. Worth a punt..
Thoughts?
8491CBCE-EB02-4542-BEB2-48F9F6E81E46.jpeg

I suspect there is a general lack of confidence at the moment rather than a weakness in Aston Martin.
That is an outsider's opinion though.

I bought a small amount of Aston shares yesterday. It’s my first share purchase so fingers crossed. Looking at the figures is should be one to steer clear of however I do believe that under current circumstances common sense and gut feel is important too. AGM on 3rd June, DBX deliveries due to commence along with a few other variant releases. All potential positives. F1 tie in from 2021 will go one of two ways.

VanEck Vectors Video Gaming and eSports UCITS ETF

EPIC: ESPO

A bunch of computer software/games/chipmaker companies.

An excellent ETF for your portfolio. I've invested and made 50% in the last six months.

You may well have missed the buy-in window of mid-March. Simply by looking for companies that could successfully trade without issue and are seen as everyday facilities you could have made a good return. I purchased 53 Mastercard share at just over 200 each and today the stable at just under 300 each, a tidy 5,300 in a few months

The basic rules;
Buy when everyone else is selling and sell when everyone else is buying.
Wail till you consider they are at the bottom
You must have a very strong reason to think they will bounce back.

On the last point, airlines/oil etc are not good purchases due to the political changes/regulation/competition etc etc.

Look for cash cows the are down for things like covid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom