Question Any recommendations on new monitor up to £150

Inked

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My wife has been working from home and due to coronavirus has been told by her work that she can get a monitor to hook up to her laptop up to £150 (can go up to £170 on JL.com but there isn’t much choice)
Have never purchased a computer monitor (always used iMac or laptops) so I’m looking for recommendations.

27” preferred as it would match screen size to our iMacs (though obviously lower resolution), though would go smaller if the quality improvement is worth the trade off.
Would ideally like to be able to hook it up to not only her work Lenovo laptop but also the iMac so dual input.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Any ideas what video connectors (hdmi or DisplayPort or thunderbolt/usb-c I imagine) are on the iMac and the Lenovo laptop?

At your budget and usage there isn’t a huge difference in screens. I’d suggest an IPS screen over TN for better viewing angles and colour, but otherwise it’s about the largest screen and resolution you can find for the price. You may need a dongle or specific cable or two depending on the answer to my first question - happy to suggest some options when you share that.

Any ideas what video connectors (hdmi or DisplayPort or thunderbolt/usb-c I imagine) are on the iMac and the Lenovo laptop?

Cheers, the Lenovo has VGA and Mini DisplayPort
My wife’s iMac has Thunderbolt 2/Mini DisplayPort
And my iMac has Thunderbolt 3

Ao something with either DisplayPort, multiple HDMI or VGA (or a mix) would be ideal.

Would also like something with VESA so that I can get an adjustable mount so that it can sit at the same height between our two iMacs

Seems to tick all the boxes!

I would just recommend using the mini-displayport rather than vga on your wife's laptop - the picture will be a bit better.

Would rarely actually hook it up to her laptop to be fair as she can access all of her work apps / docs on the home iMac via the cloud , so would just as likely pull the lead from her iMac to utilise the mini-displayport on the rare occasion she wanted to.

Just a pity that her work won't allow her to spend more on something better (even if only subsidising it to £150, with us making up the difference).

Just seen this PLS Samsung monitor, which has a full size DisplayPort and a HDMI

Not sure if it's likely to be better than the Philips though

Just seen this PLS Samsung monitor, which has a full size DisplayPort and a HDMI

Not sure if it's likely to be better than the Philips though
Pretty much identical: Comparison between: 27" Samsung S27F358F, 27" Philips 273V7QJAB

I do think the Samsung looks a bit nicer, so would probably pick that myself!

I’m now leaning towards going slightly smaller and getting this Lenovo model. Better purchase for the price?
Sorry I assumed you were quite wedded to your 27" and large screen sizes!

I run two 1440p 25" dell monitors... I would take one of those over a larger 1080p monitor any day. 23.8" is a slightly smaller but I don't think it would make the content on the screen too small.

The higher resolution will obviously also come in useful if working with large spreadsheets or comparing two documents side by side etc.

Last edited:
Sorry I assumed you were quite wedded to your 27" and large screen sizes!

I run two 1440p 25" dell monitors... I would take one of those over a larger 1080p monitor any day. 23.8" is a slightly smaller but I don't think it would make the content on the screen too small.

I was initially so that it would fit in with the two iMacs, but this hit the other requirements and had the benefit of 1440p which swung me.

Have ordered the monitor and required cables, and will take some measurements once it arrives to see about a vesa arm to clamp to the desk (sloping ceiling behind the desk as it’s in a loft).

Thanks for your help :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom