Question Anyone changed from 4g to 5g

AlanT1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Have anyone changed from a 4g mobile to a 5g mobile? If so how have you found it? Is it really worth the upgrade in real life usage?

I am considering a new contract shortly and would value any comments or suggestions.

Many thanks.

Are you sure that you have good reception in your area?

I think that is the problem, not know if you will. get goo reception.

Yes, though I do not have any 5G signal at home - but that's not when I need it anyway. We have 5G at work (Cardiff) which is when I want the better data speed when out and about.

I upgraded to the Samsung galaxy note plus 5g on EE and I have 5g signal all day at work with 400mb DL ,I see or feel no real difference in day to day use and would go with a 4g phone next time unless the 5g phone was the same price .

I upgraded to the Samsung galaxy note plus 5g on EE and I have 5g signal all day at work with 400mb DL ,I see or feel no real difference in day to day use and would go with a 4g phone next time unless the 5g phone was the same price .

A tad disappointing lol, but probably like I found when I left virgin media and 100meg broadband to plus net with 35meg broadband, surfing the web, watching 4K Netflix and YouTube is just the same.

Download speeds were crucial back in the days with no Youtube/Netflix when you had to download every single file but no days a standard 38mb Fibre connection is enough to do most thing with ease.

Anything over 100mb is overkill unless you download Terabytes of data frequently.

5G I'd much better.
Not necessarily. Some might find the extra battery drain associated with some 5G phones not worth it for faster downloads. 100mb+ on 4G is hardly slow.

5G I'd much better.
5g is very limited , for fast speeds you need line of sight with the masts, within a building or even behind glass the speed drops off drastically

Last edited:
So I actually got my first 5G signal on Friday - been in lockdown so not been anywhere - and don't agree with that statement above. I was inside a industrial unit on the outskirts of Bristol picking up a car and noticed the 5G signal so got out the speedtest. Was over 200meg which was amazing really and that was inside a giant metal building. Ping was admittedly not great though, it took a while to "take off" as it started.

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

So I actually got my first 5G signal on Friday - been in lockdown so not been anywhere - and don't agree with that statement above. I was inside a industrial unit on the outskirts of Bristol picking up a car and noticed the 5G signal so got out the speedtest. Was over 200meg which was amazing really and that was inside a giant metal building. Ping was admittedly not great though, it took a while to "take off" as it started.

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Did you test outside the building too ?
The signal within buildings is so irratic is barely usable, you can go from 200mb one second to 5mb the next .
The 5g mast could well have been on the building you were in and sigal would still drop of to nothing just by you turning 160 degrees .
My place of work has 5g all the time so I have been experimenting with the signal strenth and loss for months not just a one off 5 mins connection like you.
I dont even bother enabling 5g anymore as it just pointless unless your wanting to DL a very large file , 4g has the same ping speeds but is more stable and uses much less battery .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom