Question Anyone considering jumping to Series X

I'm a bit baffled why anyone would find quick resume as a system seller - do you really switch between multiple games that frequently that a 15s Vs 5s bootup time makes all the difference?

It’s not just the boot times. It’s getting to a save location. If I’m playing a game and my daughter wants to play something while I’m at work, I don’t have to worry that I didn’t make it to a save spot before she swapped to a different game.

On the PS5 I’d lose my progress and have to jump back to the last checkpoint which could be quite a while back. On the Xbox I’d pick up straight where I was playing regardless of my daughter playing something different.

It’s not just the boot times. It’s getting to a save location. If I’m playing a game and my daughter wants to play something while I’m at work, I don’t have to worry that I didn’t make it to a save spot before she swapped to a different game.

On the PS5 I’d lose my progress and have to jump back to the last checkpoint which could be quite a while back. On the Xbox I’d pick up straight where I was playing regardless of my daughter playing something different.

Fair point, that is an interesting use case for it I hadn't considered

I'm a bit baffled why anyone would find quick resume as a system seller - do you really switch between multiple games that frequently that a 15s Vs 5s bootup time makes all the difference?

It will be a handy feature for some. Most games i seem to play autosave frequently anyway so its not really an issue. Im more in for the faster loading times both consoles have.

Why someone would choose a Series X over PS5 if they could only choose one for now baffles me

I could of got both but decided to just stick with the Series X for now and pick up a PS5 Digital maybe in a year or so.

Only thing that baffles me is why people think everyone should get a PS5 and dismiss everything else.

There are many reasons people will get a Series X.
Power
Controller
Friends
Gamespass
Exclusives
Back Compat
Features
Accessories
Multiplat Games

It's not always about the Exclusives, not everyone buys all the PS exclusives otherwise they would be selling 100 million plus. But the biggest selling games are multi plats and people might want to go with a console that is going to deliver the best for those games same as people did for the PS4 as it was more powerful.

There are many reasons why people will go PS5, it's a great machine and will have great games and I can't wait to get one but it's not for everyone as everyone is different and have different priorities or tastes.

Only thing baffling is when people think there's only one choice.

We are going into next gen where its going to be amazing no matter where we are playing. Roll on the next 5+ years of great consoles and Games for everyone no matter what choice they make.

Main reason I'm thinking about jumping is that XBox seems to be more powerful and in comparisons seems to run cross-platform games at a higher resolution/framerate than the PS5. And the auto-HDR on back compatibility though minimal.

However, I prefer the PS exclusives, the controller seems a gamechanger, the 3D audio seems exciting. Just whether I think I'd actually tell the difference in the resolution/framerate. That said I know when the next TLOU/Uncharted comes out I'll need to buy a PS5...so I may as well just get one.

Main reason I'm thinking about jumping is that XBox seems to be more powerful and in comparisons seems to run cross-platform games at a higher resolution/framerate than the PS5. And the auto-HDR on back compatibility though minimal.

However, I prefer the PS exclusives, the controller seems a gamechanger, the 3D audio seems exciting. Just whether I think I'd actually tell the difference in the resolution/framerate. That said I know when the next TLOU/Uncharted comes out I'll need to buy a PS5...so I may as well just get one.
There are no new games out to be compared yet.

XBSX certainly has more power, but it’s less power differential than PS4 to Xbox One. It should look better, but I’m not expecting leaps and bounds.

2 cracking machines. Hopefully I’ve a compelling reason to dive into Xb in the future. Just now, cards are stacked for PS5 for me.

If Elder Scrolls is a system exclusive then that along with Avowed and Fable will convince me to pick one up but that will be years away. PS4 had so many exclusives that I loved and I can't wait for the sequels. God of War alone would get me to buy a PS5. The first was incredible. My favourite PS4 game in fact. Really intrigued by the new PS5 controller too after the recent reviews. The games are the most important part so pick the one that plays the games you want to play :D

If Elder Scrolls is a system exclusive then that along with Avowed and Fable will convince me to pick one up but that will be years away. PS4 had so many exclusives that I loved and I can't wait for the sequels. God of War alone would get me to buy a PS5. The first was incredible. My favourite PS4 game in fact. Really intrigued by the new PS5 controller too after the recent reviews. The games are the most important part so pick the one that plays the games you want to play :D

The difficult bit though is when you like the games on both platforms. But you want to move away from having all the consoles to only one :( plus you may only physically be able to fit one in your space like me....

The difficult bit though is when you like the games on both platforms. But you want to move away from having all the consoles to only one :( plus you may only physically be able to fit one in your space like me....
I think that the dualsense may sway a few down from on the fence into the ps5's garden.

I said I was only buying one too but Microsoft are playing dirty lol. Skyrim is probably my favourite game of all time so Elder Scrolls 6 is a must. Then Fable was announced... Nope I need them both :rotfl: I have no idea where I'd put both of them either. My TV unit is designed for blu-ray player shaped gadgets and previous generations fit perfectly.

I think that the dualsense may sway a few down from on the fence into the ps5's garden.

I never thought I'd be excited to try the new controller. I hope lots of third party developers take advantage of the haptics.

I said I was only buying one too but Microsoft are playing dirty lol. Skyrim is probably my favourite game of all time so Elder Scrolls 6 is a must. Then Fable was announced... Nope I need them both :rotfl: I have no idea where I'd put both of them either. My TV unit is designed for blu-ray player shaped gadgets and previous generations fit perfectly.

I never thought I'd be excited to try the new controller. I hope lots of third party developers take advantage of the haptics.

Alas I’m starting to think so, but then you have the dilemma of which to buy first?

Alas I’m starting to think so, but then you have the dilemma of which to buy first?

Oh that was easy for me lol. PS5 had two exclusives at launch and backwards compatibility with the PS4 games so I can play my backlog.

I'm undecided for now and will probably get the PS5. In the past I have much preferred the Playstation exclusives to Xbox, but am pretty disappointed Sony isn't supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, both of those were "must haves" for me personally for a next-gen console especially Atmos.

I think this gen will be much more even in terms of market share, Sony don't seem to have the upper hand so much this time round.

I'm undecided for now and will probably get the PS5. In the past I have much preferred the Playstation exclusives to Xbox, but am pretty disappointed Sony isn't supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, both of those were "must haves" for me personally for a next-gen console especially Atmos.

I think this gen will be much more even in terms of market share, Sony don't seem to have the upper hand so much this time round.
Unless you like playing games. They certainly have the upper hand for a couple of years imo.

Unfortunately the PS5's large size and controversial (to me ugly) design has put me off buying it on day one. I do much prefer the PS exclusives and playing these on my PS4 Pro has been great. However, I have also thoroughly enjoyed playing multi platform games on my Xbox One X at their best, plus the few MS exclusives I have enjoyed (e.g. Halo, Gears, Quantum Break) - arguably I would have enjoyed those multi plat games just as much on the Pro (e.g. RDR2, ROTR, SOTR, Wolfenstein 2, COD: MW).

At the moment, I'm on the fence about which one to get (first). Probably sticking with what I've got until I finish off TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and FF7 on the Pro and Halo 1-3, SW: Jedi Fallen Order, Cyberpunk 2077 on the One X. Or......possibly leaning to the Series X first due to power and design, but knowing that once the PS exclusives start coming out that I'll want the PS5, though initially I'll be able to play HzD 2 on my PS4. GT7 could be pull me into the PS5 though....

.....so too could official exchangeable black plates to replace the white panels.

Only speculation but some people think that Dolby Atmos passthrough will work tied in with another format (don't forget the games have 3D audio) and one poster on here thinks that they might be activating DV for games via firmware update some point in the future.

It is a bit annoying though.

I‘m looking forward to accidentally dropping the controller in my lap, particularly when playing a real rumbletastic game 😜

Unfortunately the PS5's large size and controversial (to me ugly) design has put me off buying it on day one. I do much prefer the PS exclusives and playing these on my PS4 Pro has been great. However, I have also thoroughly enjoyed playing multi platform games on my Xbox One X at their best, plus the few MS exclusives I have enjoyed (e.g. Halo, Gears, Quantum Break) - arguably I would have enjoyed those multi plat games just as much on the Pro (e.g. RDR2, ROTR, SOTR, Wolfenstein 2, COD: MW).

At the moment, I'm on the fence about which one to get (first). Probably sticking with what I've got until I finish off TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and FF7 on the Pro and Halo 1-3, SW: Jedi Fallen Order, Cyberpunk 2077 on the One X. Or......possibly leaning to the Series X first due to power and design, but knowing that once the PS exclusives start coming out that I'll want the PS5, though initially I'll be able to play HzD 2 on my PS4. GT7 could be pull me into the PS5 though....

.....so too could official exchangeable black plates to replace the white panels.

I would love some black plates too. My TV unit is black so it would fit more with my furniture. I expect that's something Sony plans on releasing in the future hence why they stopped that third party company from releasing theirs. We'll probably see special editions of games come bundled with custom plates which would be neat.

I would love some black plates too. My TV unit is black so it would fit more with my furniture. I expect that's something Sony plans on releasing in the future hence why they stopped that third party company from releasing theirs. We'll probably see special editions of games come bundled with custom plates which would be neat.

You chaps have a lot to look forward to when you get your ps5s. Games at 4K and 60 FPS are so smooth you have not experienced it yet

First console generation for myself where I haven't picked up the Xbox console on day one, I love a lot of things Microsoft are doing but the Game Pass model (as excellent as it is) doesn't appeal to me.

Exclusive games are what sell systems to me and currently the Series consoles have nothing to offer, it's also impossible to find time to play two consoles so the PS5 simply does more for me straight out the gate.

I only just recently got a Xbox One X (Cyberpunk edition) and that's taking care of my backwards compatibility needs when it comes to some older 360 classics.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom