Anyone else been furloughed? What ya doing on the wife's list?

wiz

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Taken me two days to rub down a bit of skirting board, no rush :D :D

Had an email this morning saying parts of the business will be closed, waiting to find out if I’m part of it.

Weird the first day as it was a bit of a shock, wasted it just watching TV which was wrong
Got a company car on the drive that won't turn a wheel for two months. Bit of a waste!

Been working from home already this week.

Monday was manic, gradually got quieter as the week’s gone On.

Last couple of days it’s been a lot of Netflix in between flurries of work as it comes in.

Also got a company car sat on the drive doing nothing.

Also working from home, in projects and it's been really busy but expecting it to tail off soon. Our engineers are being furloughed at the moment. The wife has already been furloughed. 2 kids at home though so any chance of taking it easy is well and truly out the window

Agency worker for the last five years with a French-owned logistics firm. Told on Monday that they have to let me go. I spoke to the agency about staying on their books, as the PAYE system is what will get me my promised 80% from the government for the next few months.

We'll see if they're going to give a shit about me....or just drop me like a stone!

One things for certain, we're definitely seeing who matters, who's to be trusted, and who's to be first up against the wall lately!

Well, I've been put on a 3-day week for now. But I expect that will transform into furlough before the end of April. :(

I wonder if people can still be laid off during this time?

If the company has lost long term work then they may decide that the members of staff will not be required for several years to come and even paying 20% of wages for x period of time is not sustainable

Just had the call, on furlough from tonight.

Could be worse, i suppose.

According to the government site, you can still be made redundant while on furlough.

Just had the call, on furlough from tonight.

Could be worse, i suppose.

According to the government site, you can still be made redundant while on furlough.

Was the call followed up with a formal letter changing your contract of employment which you have to sign?

I imagine I’ll have something through in due course.

Small part of a multi-national company, so pretty sure they’ll be dong things completely by the book.

Part of the construction industry, which has been extremely busy for the last year, right up until everything started shutting down last week. Hopeful that once the lockdown ends, things will get busy again and I’ll be back to normal at work.

I’m only part of the first wave, things have got quieter and quieter by the day, with more and more sites/suppliers shutting down, so anyone that makes the cut today, may not necessarily be safe in a week for instance.

large parts of our company being furloughed
i've been lucky i guess, getting the extra work passed on but will just grin and bear it
hopefully it just last a couple of months for everyone

Wife furloughed as of today but her company will pay the extra 20% until at least May so she gets full wages.

I've already been working from home for a week as I'm IT Systems Manager and our production workers still working until government close manufacturers down or we run out of parts to build (most office staff working from home too). My employer said I should be on full pay until end May at least.

I'm one of the fortunate ones, mortgage free & no debt so won't have the money worries like many unfortunate people.

I am shopping for 4 families now so working and shopping still keeping me busy. Have loads of DIY to do when I get chance before doing any entertainment stuff (movies/gaming etc.)

I've been off work for coming up to 2 weeks now, luckily getting full pay.

Due to impending parts shortages and staff dropping like flies (being asked to self isolate or being high risk) they didn't really have much choice.

Even if they could have weathered those storms, the fact we run production lines would have made enforcing social distancing very difficult.

I got furloughed on Tuesday ,im a delivery driver for a plant hire equipment supplier,im going to use the time off to decorate my flat and binge watch netfix and amazon prime,hopefully it will only be a couple of months off,and when we do eventually return to work its going to be manic.
stay safe everyone,and see you all on the other side.

Yeah, we supply the construction industry and it’s been manically busy for the last 9 months or so, then 90% of the sites just shut over the last week.

As you say, hopefully a couple of months then back to some kind of normality and work will be back where it was.

I got furloughed last week, though confusingly my employer seemingly expects me respond to promptly to work related emails.

Does anyone know the situation with training? From my reading of explanations on various sites, if my employer asks me to do any training they have to pay me at least NMW for any time spent doing so (in addition to any money received for being on furlough).

I remember reading something about still being able to do training but you cannot do any work for the company, which I would say definitely includes work emails.

Started wiring some ouside soffit spot lights, got one half up and running but too windy today to complete. Tidied garage out........again

I was told last week that I'm furloughed from Monday. Minimum three weeks (as per government guidelines) but could be up to eight weeks (as government furlough scheme is only currently running until the end of May). Not ideal, but I understand why my business is doing it. They're trying to save as much money now so that when the lock down ends and work starts coming back in, they are able to call everything who they furloughed back in and get back to work.
Which would I rather be? One of the ones who's still working in the office and the risks that go with it, or one of the ones taking a 20% pay cut and staying at home safe for a few weeks???
Got enough to do round the house and garden for a few weeks (interspersed with movie watching and the xbox), got a few novels I've been meaning to read but hadn't got round to. Guess it'll be ok.
Just hope this whole thing doesn't last too long, work picks up quickly and then I'm back in the office like normal.

Into my fourth week of furlough now. Managed to get the garden all sorted before the rains started today (looks like they're here for a week or more). Watched a few movies. Read a couple of books. Played quite a bit on the Xbox. Took the dogs on some long walks. Had enough now...
Spoke to my manager at the tail end of last week and she told me that the business is starting to take people back from furlough as work is starting to pick up again (business didn't shut down, just less work so around 30% of the office staff were furloughed, including me). We supply plants to supermarkets and places like B&Q, and they're starting to reopen / get busier. Hopefully next week I'll be back at work.

So I'm into week 6 of being furloughed. I've actually got a fair few bits done that were on my list. Painted my bathroom, got my patio ready for repointing, hacked off old render around the bottom of my extension and painted new bitumen on as the brickwork underneath was really good.

Also emptied my shed and had a clear out, done a load of baking and cooked a lot more fresh meals. I did order some masonry paint but my local b and q are quite behind on click & collect orders so now the weather's rubbish lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom