Anyone else get headaches from 3D ?

mug

Prominent Member
Reaction score
No matter how much I fiddle with the settings I always get a headache when watching 3D. I thought you weren't supposed to get headaches on passives sets (42LM620T). Watching Mr Stink now on BBC and it's no different. I can't be the only one :rolleyes: ?

No problems with headaches myself, but yes it feels a little more tiresome to the eyes than watching regular 2D video. I've got some advice though:

• Make sure your eyes are parallell with the screen, ie. don't tilt your head sideways relative to the screen as you would for instance do laying on the coach watching TV. Even though you can see the image on passive 3D screens while tilted (used as a sales argument by LG), this messes up the viewing angle of each eye, confusing your brain. Tilted watching can be used for dual play though, if you like gaming sideways.
  • Minimize reflections on the screen by darkening the room.
  • Reduce the separation of the stereoscopic images by adjusting the 3D settings - to be sure you have it right, take off your glasses and make sure that the distance between the two images of a distant object is less than the distance between your eyes. I prefer average depth of scenes to be slighly behind the screen, but remember that the preceived depth of a stereoscopic 3D image depends on the distance between your eyes and is thus individiul from person to person. If kids are watching, adjust for more of the scene to be in front of the screen to give them a better viewing experience.
  • Sitting further away from the screen reduces the 3D effect, so try that. Also applies to 3D in movie theatres - on the other hand you should sit in front if you like and can cope with stronger 3D effects.
  • In my opinion: Don't use 2D to 3D conversion mode - your brain does a much better job extrapolating depth information from 2D video than a TV set will ever be able to.
Hope this can help make 3D viewing more comfortable and enjoyable for anyone reading!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom