Question Anyone else have an offset blue and red square on the Microsoft logo of Office 2019?

TheReloaded

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have installed of MS Office 2019 and the first thing that stuck out to me is the offset blue and red square on the Microsoft logo.

Offset Microsoft Logo.PNG

This "bug" is driving me mistake. Do I have OCD?

Anyway, that's not the point. Can anyone confirm that this is not just me or it is? (Anyone sending screenshots of Office, could you please put the Office theme in black mode as it seems to be the most visible in a darker setting.)

Thanks!

I took your above image, stuck it into PhotoShop and resized it 800% using the "nearest equivalent/preserve hard edges" option and got this:

1598599234165.png

in which I can see little or no "offset".

Hence - this must be an artefact of the monitor. Screen/monitor pixels are not themselves multi-coloured; they are in groups of three, one each of the primary colours. The three primary coloured pixels (red/green/blue) are NOT precisely co-located. Each colour is in a separate position. Hence a pure blue area will appear in a different position to a pure red area. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

I took your above image, stuck it into PhotoShop and resized it 800% using the "nearest equivalent/preserve hard edges" option and got this:

View attachment 1356484

in which I can see little or no "offset".

Hence - this must be an artefact of the monitor. Screen/monitor pixels are not themselves multi-coloured; they are in groups of three, one each of the primary colours. The three primary coloured pixels (red/green/blue) are NOT precisely co-located. Each colour is in a separate position. Hence a pure blue area will appear in a different position to a pure red area. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

Will reinstalling Windows do anything? Should I try integrated graphics instead of my dedicated graphics card?

[EDIT] Just tried on integrated graphics, same problem...

Last edited:
Perhaps I did not make myself clear.
Your monitor (any monitor) CANNOT physically position pure blue (say) in the same precise position as (say) pure red. The position of the actual different coloured rectangles that make up a pixel (square) on the screen are not co-aligned. It's just impossible. Any such pure primary colour will always be displayed a miniscule fraction offset from any different pure primary colour.

Diagramatically (so, not to scale) this is what a single WHITE pixel (square) looks like, under extreme magnification:

1598624200314.png

If it's red - ONLY the red element of that will be lit. All the rest will be black.
If it's blue - only the blue part of that will be lit. All the rest will be black.

And the red and blue elements are in different places. That, I suspect, is what you are seeing as the "offset".

This is a picture of a real screen (magnified) from elsewhere in the internet:

1598624509999.png

Ohhhh ok so I can see the problem on my phone as well. Pure red and blue is in different positions. I see.

I have reinstalled windows a couple of times due to imperfections, I think I need to go to the doctor.

Well if I can’t do anything about it then it’s fine I guess.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.
Your monitor (any monitor) CANNOT physically position pure blue (say) in the same precise position as (say) pure red. The position of the actual different coloured rectangles that make up a pixel (square) on the screen are not co-aligned. It's just impossible. Any such pure primary colour will always be displayed a miniscule fraction offset from any different pure primary colour.

Diagramatically (so, not to scale) this is what a single WHITE pixel (square) looks like, under extreme magnification:

View attachment 1356681

If it's red - ONLY the red element of that will be lit. All the rest will be black.
If it's blue - only the blue part of that will be lit. All the rest will be black.

And the red and blue elements are in different places. That, I suspect, is what you are seeing as the "offset".

This is a picture of a real screen (magnified) from elsewhere in the internet:

View attachment 1356689

Just took a zoomed in photo of my monitor. By what you said it seems to be ok but could you confirm just in case?

3CE2A914-8C4F-43F1-94E6-D6319A8C6695.jpeg

Yes, exactly as expected. If you look closely at your own photo - at the dark areas particularly - you can just about make out that three-colour structure.

Thank you @LV426 for the help. I really appreciate it. I posted this question on the Microsoft forums and all they said was that it was normal but they didn't really go in depth of why this happens so I do really appreciate that.

Oh and thank you @MaryWhitehouse for telling me that reinstalling Windows would be a waste of time 😂. I actually would've done it as I have been reinstalling Windows because of these imperfection. I won't reinstall Windows again since doing that means I get closer to the write limit of my SSD.

What make and model of monitor do you use? If you're able to see this with your eye then I suspect the resolution must be quite low!

If you get a higher resolution monitor the pixels and subpixels will be smaller, and so this 'offset' should hopefully become invisible to your eyes...

What make and model of monitor do you use? If you're able to see this with your eye then I suspect the resolution must be quite low!

If you get a higher resolution monitor the pixels and subpixels will be smaller, and so this 'offset' should hopefully become invisible to your eyes...
I have a HP 27ea. The resolution 1920x1080.

I have a HP 27ea. The resolution 1920x1080.
At 27”, pixels are quite large at 1080p.
If you got yourself a 4K screen at 27”, all the pixels (and sub-pixels) would be one quarter the size - so hopefully you wouldn’t notice the slightly different alignment at that scale...

At 27”, pixels are quite large at 1080p.
If you got yourself a 4K screen at 27”, all the pixels (and sub-pixels) would be one quarter the size - so hopefully you wouldn’t notice the slightly different alignment at that scale...
My budget doesn't allow for 4K. :(

This is primarily an optical illusion caused by the dark background. I took a screen shot of my Edge new tab page and sent it to my phone (which has a much higher pixel density) and the squares still appear to be different sizes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom