Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
no chance at £5800!

It's a long way off in terms of the software but it's even further away from being allowed to be used in the UK (just my personal opinion! )
Here in Australia I could get a black (about £600 extra) SR+ with full self driving computer (about £4,600 extra) for the equivalent of a touch less than £45,000...... a white one without full self driving (the only option other than colour here) is equivalent of £38,280 (differences due to rounding in exchange calculations only). All on the road prices.

If you can show me a photo with the driver’s seat as far back and down as it goes (normal upright), and space to the rear seat for an actual adult to sit on the back, this Model 3 is getting into territory where I would consider one at next car change.......

no chance at £5800!

It's a long way off in terms of the software but it's even further away from being allowed to be used in the UK (just my personal opinion! )
I would have agreed with you before they started to shift some features into the FSD package. I bought mine with EAP (enhanced auto pilot), FSD was an extra that would have gained absolutely zero value had I bought it.

Now though the FSD package includes things like summon and navigate on autopilot that I use both of quite a lot... I'd certainly want to spec it now.

Here in Australia I could get a black (about £600 extra) SR+ with full self driving computer (about £4,600 extra) for the equivalent of a touch less than £45,000...... a white one without full self driving (the only option other than colour here) is equivalent of £38,280 (differences due to rounding in exchange calculations only). All on the road prices.

If you can show me a photo with the driver’s seat as far back and down as it goes (normal upright), and space to the rear seat for an actual adult to sit on the back, this Model 3 is getting into territory where I would consider one at next car change.......

Will try and get you a picture in the next few days. Tons of room. I had 5 people in the car the other day and that was 2 adults and 1 child ( 8 with a booster seat) in the back and there was loads of room.

I think the FSD package is just too much money for what is offers in the UK (£5800).
However I do feel it has some great features, hopefully Tesla will split the FSD package into smaller options which buyers as add-on at a later date.
This will most likely happen when/if FSD never takes off in the UK/EU due to more stricter governance etc.

I don't think it will split down to smaller options. They've only just bundled some of the smaller more useful features we CAN use in to the larger FSD package you now have to buy.

Asda was a fun trip this morning - never seen the kids so excited to go food shopping!

Sounds like you have the Tesla grin :)

Our X is now sitting in Birmingham waiting for new front suspension parts, the Tesla having the honour of been only the 2nd car I have owned to ever need towing/recovering, the other been a BMW, ironically both were the most expensive cars I owned at the time of purchase, where as the £500 Datsun Cherry I leant to drive in is probably still on the road some where!!

Japanese reliability just cannot be matched by anyone else it seems, I think we'll wait for Lexus to come out with an EV for our next car.

48777272512_463ef81a80_z.jpg

I think we'll wait for Lexus to come out with an EV for our next car.
I'm surprised to read that coming from you. What happened to the suspension on the X?

I'm surprised to read that coming from you. What happened to the suspension on the X?

Likely upper control arm failure, Tesla customer service was very good though. Loan car offered straight away delivered to the house, and my own car flat bedded to service centre even though it was Sunday evening.

The X is a fab family car like my old BMW was a fab sports saloon, but neither are built to the same standards as a Nissan/Honda/Toyota.

I love our X, but I also love reliability, which is probably why I've owned more Nissan's than any other brand - five in total. If you put reliability as the key feature of a car above all else don't buy a Tesla, or an iPace, or an eTron, stick to a Leaf. Shame Infiniti has pulled out of Europe, but I would be happy to get a Lexus EV next :).

Likely upper control arm failure, Tesla customer service was very good though. Loan car offered straight away delivered to the house, and my own car flat bedded to service centre even though it was Sunday evening.

The X is a fab family car like my old BMW was a fab sports saloon, but neither are built to the same standards as a Nissan/Honda/Toyota.

I love our X, but I also love reliability, which is probably why I've owned more Nissan's than any other brand - five in total. If you put reliability as the key feature of a car above all else don't buy a Tesla, or an iPace, or an eTron, stick to a Leaf. Shame Infiniti has pulled out of Europe, but I would be happy to get a Lexus EV next :).
At least their customer service is doing right by you. I agree with you about Japanese cars generally being better engineered than the competition but you might be waiting a while for Toyota/Lexus to release an EV at this level.

Tesla customer service is very good, I've never had an issue, but I do wish I didn't have to use them at all.

The Japanese brands are always slow to adopt newer tech, hence why I had get a BMW 335i, at the time Lexus/Infiniti offered no real rivals to the BMW turbo engine interms of mpg versus power output - Though I doubt a Lexus ISF would have leaked oil/coolant/transmission fluid at the same frequency as the BMW :).

Similarly even Nissan are very conservative with their EV offerings and Lexus don't have any:(. It's probably why Japanese brands are more reliable overall, they don't take seem to take risks on new tech until it's well tested.

Right now if I had to buy another car tomrrow it would still be another Tesla, purely based on the still limited choice, the Mercedes ECQ looks good but based on how often our friends brand new QLC has had to go to the dealer I don't think it'll be any more reliable than the Tesla, maybe even worse. A colleague who bought an iPace had a main traction battery failure a week after delivery. Sadly for a reliable EV your choices at present is pretty limited in the 'premium' market.

But we don't need to swap cars for a good while yet, infact if it was a case of waiting for the Lexus hybrid to become too old to keep running before swapping I recon it might not be till we are both close to retirement before that happens judging by how well a Prius minicab can eat up miles and abuse :).

probably why Japanese brands are more reliable overall, they don't take seem to take risks on new tech until it's well tested.
I get what you are saying but the failures you are talking about are unique to ICE? Your suspension failure is common to all types of drive though. Surely EVs are more reliable overall so they should move to 100% EV production?

One of the selling points for EV is the increased reliability since many (component) faults on ICE vehicles are impossible to have) The others like suspension and windscreen Moore’s are common across all cars so failure rate isn’t going to be diffenret. Battery and motors are inherently more reliable than ICE you would think stats would say. Overall EVs are more reliable?

Bad luck on the failure by the way :(

Well the customer service is quick, car sorted already, both upper front control arms replaced!

Now am seeing if I can get them to drop the car off at home rather me go and collect.

140 mile round trip tomorrow - looking forward to first proper run in car.....Might even try Autopilot!!

New Honda then :D If you can get beyond how UGLY it looks !

1569402384387.png

Ugly? I think it looks pretty cool :)

Are door mirrors an extra then? :laugh:

I know :)

Was in my mate's again yesterday. Just gorgeous, only way I can describe it. He also passed on the full autopilot upgrade, it's defo not worth having at the moment for that expenditure.

And pulling away from traffic lights is just thrilling! :laugh:

Couple of observations from todays driving.

67 miles each way - 134 round trip.

83% efficiency on the way home, 257wh/mile

The Adaptive Cruise control is not as smooth as my golf gti.....It can be very "jerky" at times in the Model 3 and is certainly prone to the odd phantom braking.

The Auto pilot is not bad, it's certainly useable - However I'm trying to find out - Does the SR+ without the FSD do auto lane change??

Unfortunately since Nissan have partnered with Renault the quality and reliability of there cars are rubbish.
As for suspension failure, it probably doesn't help with the rubbish UK roads.
And don't forget the Model X is around 2500 kg, significantly heavier than most cars

The quality and reliabilty of our Leaf has been impeccable. We would change it for the next one in a heart beat if the price hadn't rocketed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom