Question Anyone here into car audio?

Audi0Newbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all i have purchased a new mini bus/van that i will be daily driving and i am wanting some bass put into it i have installed new speakers and head unit i am hoping someone can help me with the purchase of a new sub for my van im looking for a twin 12 inch sub preferably passive unless its a good active one(not many great active subs out there) On a budget of about 300 pounds for the subs and the amp budget can be separate if not a active sub
Thanks all

depends what you're after . jl.audio, audison, focal, mtx, digital designs all do great subs..all.diffferent..

As per @password1 recommendation, depends what you're after.

I have personal with a 10" JL W7, and a 12" Alpine R.

I preferred the JL by far.

Seriously consider where you are going to mount the sub, because if its at the back of the van you will end up with delays and need a well designed to setup and equipment to compensate.

If you're looking for good quality budget end stuff, Mac Audio gear is really good.

not a problem if you time align it.. theres plenty of space in most vans to install a sub under the seats or dashboard

It’s a merc van there is space between front set of seats and one of the back set so will be looking to build a dual sub box or buy subs with an enclosure that is preferably dual

Being a van causes a few issues. 1, the size of the interior and 2, the sides of bands and minibuses tend to be quite flexible. Sub bass in a car relies to some degree in the cabin accoustics to amplify the sound. There are three types of enclosure, a ported or vented, this trend to provide the really deep rumbling bass, the type that you feel as much as hear. A sealed box will provide a faster punchier bass for more of the punch in the stomach, and then finally you have infinite baffle (or free air). I don't know much about IB other than a lot of competitors are using them now, so I spent they can achieve both the benefits of sealed and ported but probably require specific subs and better tuning. To make the most of a vented box in a van you are going to need a big one with big subs and a big amp. I would suggest a sealed box somewhere up front with a pair of 8 inch or 10inch subs with about 250 to 350 Watts RMS to each one. That will give you some nice solid bass extension without sounding out of control or boomy. Read up on using twin subs at how to use 2ohm or 8ohm subs (and dual voice coil subs) in parallel or series to run of a single amplifier or a dual channel. Never load an amplifier with less than is rated ohms, and make sure when looking at Watts ratings you focus on RMS, there are some wouldn't ridiculous claims about maximum wattage. Also the cast audio manufacturers will give you some good subs, but you will pay a premium. Unless you are spending mega bucks, Companies like Scanspeak, Dayton audio, peerles/vifa make equally good subs for much better value. One last thing, whatever you get, learn to set the gain on your amp properly, many people think it's another volume control and them wonder why there drivers meltdown.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom