Question Anyone here using US Netflix with a Shield TV?

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a subscription to SmartDNS Proxy and had been using it with my shield TV for US netflix for a while with no problems. But a couple of months ago netflix started getting blocking me. I have my linksys router setup with their dns settings and I can get US netflix on both of my pc's. The guys at SmartDNS Proxy say I have everything setup correctly. But I've a feeling netflix has gotten wise to their dns settings.

Are any of you using a shield for US netflix? If so, how are you doing it?

If your PCs are able to access US Netflix then your problem lies somewhere other than your router settings.

It's illegal to stream US Netflix outside of US. Netflix obviously caught up with this.

It's illegal to stream US Netflix outside of US. Netflix obviously caught up with this.

What you mean is that Netflix now georestricts its members accounts to the country they are currently watching in. This is made clear in its terms and conditions. If you are caught bypassing this restriction they can permanently ban you. It is, however, not illegal.

VIPDNSCLUB still works for me on my Nvidia Shield box & allows me to watch Netflix USA in UK. Its one of the very few (or only?) smart dns services who can somehow bypass Netflix geo restrictions, and its been that way for quite a while. You may need to block Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) on your router to get the service working, which is quite easy. On the downside, they're not cheap at around $10 per month, but they offer almost instant email support (Oz based) and are great if you have issues.

VIPDNSCLUB

Netflix have indeed become stricter. I use NordVPN, it used to connect no problems at first attempt but as of late, i have been getting blocked so After 5-10 attempts of syphoning for a server, it finally connects.

Why go through all that trouble? I am in the US and I see Netflix UK always getting the good stuff. Netflix US pales in comparison to Netflix UK, content-wise.

^^^I would argue Netflix USA and Netflix Canada have a better library than their UK version. But regardless of which region you prefer, don’t you think it’s better to have access to more than one region as not all regions are equal?

^^^I would argue Netflix USA and Netflix Canada have a better library than their UK version. But regardless of which region you prefer, don’t you think it’s better to have access to more than one region as not all regions are equal?
In a perfect world? Yes.

I use Getflix and use it on the Shield, and a couple of other devices to get US Netflix. I use UK Netflix on the rest. There is about double the amount of new shows on the US one.

I use Getflix and use it on the Shield, and a couple of other devices to get US Netflix. I use UK Netflix on the rest. There is about double the amount of new shows on the US one.

I only want the US version on the Shield as it is only my wife and myself who use it. I have the UK version on my tv, Xbox One, PS4, WDTV Live, and Virgin V6 if I want to watch it. I can also get the US version on my HTPC but no 4K even though I have a Kabylake i7-7700K (minimum spec cpu for 4K Netflix) and 16GB ram.

PSA: do not use VIPDNSCLUB It Is a scam it says on their page that they support almost all streaming services but when you buy a subscription (I bought the most expensive one for 20$ which says it’s a personal DNSbox) It only shows three services Netflix/Prime/Disney+.

Tried Disney+ and DC Universe non of them worked.

Dns4me does more and is much faster for just 3$ a month.

EE48D277-7F05-405C-ACB4-19496F8ABC00.png

AFAIK, vpns don't always cut it with Netflix, as those guys are advanced at exposing these IP addresses.

IMHO, what you need here is a proxy and US residential IP, so in your shoes I'd check any of the providers listed here.

I have a subscription to SmartDNS Proxy and had been using it with my shield TV for US netflix for a while with no problems. But a couple of months ago netflix started getting blocking me. I have my linksys router setup with their dns settings and I can get US netflix on both of my pc's. The guys at SmartDNS Proxy say I have everything setup correctly. But I've a feeling netflix has gotten wise to their dns settings.

Are any of you using a shield for US netflix? If so, how are you doing it?
Hi,

were you able to get any resolution to this issue? smartdns and dns4me doesn't work on nvidia shield I've tried as of today.

thanks in advance.

Hi,

were you able to get any resolution to this issue? smartdns and dns4me doesn't work on nvidia shield I've tried as of today.

thanks in advance.

In the end I first had to enter the smartdns settings on my router, start a US proxy session (PIA), and run smartdns itself. Totally NOT as easy as smartdns claims it is. I don't even bother using it now as I don't think theres anything I would watch on the US version which isn't on the UK version. Especially since all the Marvel and Star Wars material was taken off.

I completely agree that US flix's catalogue is being torn asunder by all the various content owners getting wise to streaming and just starting their own cable channe... streaming services to get back the cash they lost when everyone said "why the fudge are we paying for this inferior product?"

Will DM you (no need for a response) on SmartDNS.

I would drop Netflix in a hot second if my account wasn't the family account and is (essentially) one of the few things that I do for my family. There's really nothing I can't get eventually elsewhere, or if I feel like it, by a physical copy for viewing later. It's tough because I'm a very big proponent of the 'vote with your wallet/feet/arse' mechanic in the modern world. I'm literally so boring about not giving WB cash/views/bums on seats for anything DCEU with a Snyder in the production credits.

Companies don't understand that they're failing until the bucks stop rolling in, and sometimes they're actively spitting in the faces of the users. Sometimes (see the digital film, book, and comics worlds) they'll not learn the lessons that music learned from piracy, and they'll actually put prices at a much higher premium than they were. I understand that a lot of stuff has got lost in the balance over the years, and that artists and crew may not be paid what they should be ... but consumers aren't either.

Speaking purely allegorically ... It wasn't that long ago that someone from Marvel or DC when they upped the prices on phyisical media almost literally said to tradesfolks that they could charge what they liked to these rubes. They're hooked on the product now, we've got 'em. (mixed metaphor intended)

It's a rarity in this day and age to see a company go low for the long haul ... Netflix have gone low for a while, but the recent price hikes do not match the content delivered (in any country ... but the UK is a poor cousin to the states for big releases) and the manner it's delivered in.

Similarly, Amazon treat the UK like pidgeons in the garden ... occasionally they'll throw a few scraps our way ... but very, very, very, frequently, they literally don't enable UHD on their own Amazon Originals and Studios (made and produced) products, and sometimes don't bring it over at all. On the *v.... OK I'll shut up ...

Suffice to say, it's not all a bed of roses ... and I'm not giving any company a pass because of a worldwide pandemic. The issues have just come to the surface. Limiting the bandwidth and catalogues (not access to the content elsewhere) does not help us like you and want to continue to use the service.... No ...

Honestly, if I think about this further I remember a thought that I had from a couple of years back. It's clear that Netflix will become just another studio with barely anything else to offer ... so effectively ... why should it cost so much for so little? Every other studio's cable channe streaming services are literally half the price or less with HDR, even dolby vision ... Netflix is fast becoming a very expensive hobby outside of the US for not that much actually decent content.

Tenner says that in ten to fifteen years time the internet streaming landscape will be the same as the cable TV landscape was. Not worth it.
In the end I first had to enter the smartdns settings on my router, start a US proxy session (PIA), and run smartdns itself. Totally NOT as easy as smartdns claims it is. I don't even bother using it now as I don't think theres anything I would watch on the US version which isn't on the UK version. Especially since all the Marvel and Star Wars material was taken off.

I use Netflix Turkey and get a UHD package for 42 Turkish Lire, that's £4.77 at todays exchange rate.

Same content, the menu and everything is in English. Use a card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Note - I live in the UK.

Last edited:
Holy cow. I need a marriage of convenience with a Turk ... not picky about the gender!
I use Netflix Turkey and get a UHD package for 42 Turkish Lire, that's £4.77 at todays exchange rate.

Same content, the menu and everything is in English. Use a card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

expressvpn mediaserver service has worked flawlessly for me for a couple of years now.....wee bit fiddly setting it up, but only has to be done once....then you add their mediaserver dns to your connection...opens up usa netflix...and if outside uk, bbc iplayer, uk tv on demand apps etc......always works for me.

expressvpn mediaserver service has worked flawlessly for me for a couple of years now.....wee bit fiddly setting it up, but only has to be done once....then you add their mediaserver dns to your connection...opens up usa netflix...and if outside uk, bbc iplayer, uk tv on demand apps etc......always works for me.

Fiddly you say?

" Important: MediaStreamer is only supported on the OpenWrt 1.5.1 and DD-WRT 1.3.1 versions of the ExpressVPN router app"

Yeah it looks like it could be a bit "fiddly" alright.

no...add the dns address on the shield tv.
the dns server address is 85.203.37.1 ....but...it only works when you have an account thats linked to your external i.p. address.

the fiddly bit doing it that ^^ way is you need a middle man service to convert your external i.p. to an address that expressvpn accepts...so i use the free 'dynu' dns service....this also gets around issue of people with isp's with dynamic external i.p. addresses...its a free app that runs on a phone or pc..i only had to run it once as our external i.p. hasnt changed in years....and then you add the dynu address to your expressvpn account....then use that dns server address on the shield tv.....it'll open usa netflix...and outside uk bbc iplayer etc.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom