Anyone know how to permanently disable folder encryption on Windows 10?

Surebrec

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but since a couple of hours ago, any zipped folders I unzip are showing an encryption padlocks on them and all the contents.

I've looked into fixing the issue myself, and have tried to remove it by going into the folder properties, and then under advanced unticking the "encrypt contents" box, but it doesn't fix the issue. It just removes it for that folder and it's contents.

If I unzip again, the new unzipped folder is also encrypted.

How do I go about disabling this altogether? I don't know how it started in the first place and it's starting to piss me off.

padlock.PNG

Have these zip files been encrypted when they were created? that’s the only thing I can think of. Do you run winzip Etc or use standard windows to zip??

Sounds like you may have a crypto locker virus 😢

That would mean I wouldn't be able to access the folder and files wouldn't it?

I can access them, but if I try to use them on another PC, then it's a problem, I have to manually remove it on mine first.

I'm also getting this as well.

Capture.PNG

It's saying it's from another computer when it's not. I'm extracting it on my own PC, the same one I downloaded it on.

Have these zip files been encrypted when they were created? that’s the only thing I can think of. Do you run winzip Etc or use standard windows to zip??

No. All zipped folders seem to have this happen to them once extracted. The zipped folder is not encrypted, but when after extracting, something is happening to them. When I right-click on the folder, then tick the Advanced button, it's showing this:

Capture.PNG

if I untick it and apply the changes to the folder and the files inside, it removes it, but it only removes it from that folder and whatever is inside. If I extract it again, or extract from a different zipped folder, it's ticked again.

I'm using the regular windows extract method from the context menu.

Sounds identical to this? Says there’s a solution at the bottom, but I’ve no idea if it works.

That seems to have fixed it.

Looks like something changed on my account desktop that was applying the changes to all extracted files, as well as anything else I saved.

I tried altering the desktop while I was still logged into my account and it wouldn't let me. The solution was in that link.

Creating another temp account and giving admin privileges then making the changes on that one worked.

Help much appreciated, thanks!

Wow, what a weird issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom