Question Anyone seen this?

Anyone seen this — Real Native 4K Or Fake Upscaled 4K | 4K Media ? Is the data here accurate? If it is, I wonder if in many cases, it’s worth buying 4K BRs.

Clem
4K resolution is only part of the benefit to a UHD disc.

For me HDR (either static HDR10 or dynamic HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) is a significant improvement over SDR BluRay discs. Although the exact benefit of this may vary based on your TV.

A remastered 3D audio track such as Dolby Atmos or DTS:X is also a good benefit, although again this will depend on your sound system as to whether this is of any benefit.

Higher bitrate encoding, even if the original resolution is low, the extra space on a UHD disc can mean the picture quality, particularly in fast moving scenes, is improved.

A lot of UHD discs are overpriced though, and some are much better than other for quality/value. So it's worth checking reviews first and waiting for a good deal to pop up.

The cost of 4K BR discs is an obvious concern. For example, the Clint Eastwood film The Mule is £7.49 on BR, but £24.99 on 4K. OK, you get 4K BR and BR in the same package, but that’s way too expensive. That said, on Amazon today I see that it’s now ~£16. The Fifth Element 4K is £40. That’s stupid money.

To my eyes, DV is way too bright, but where I notice the big improvement is HDR. I’m sure that many people with decent eyesight can see the differences when viewing material in DV, 4K UHD, HDR10/+, etc., and to a degree I can. Going back to HD looks low rent by comparison. A decent player helps. My Panasonic 820 does a reasonable job on both BR and DVDs.

As with all things, early adopters pay a premium. Roll-on 8K ...

Clem

The cost of 4K BR discs is an obvious concern. For example, the Clint Eastwood film The Mule is £7.49 on BR, but £24.99 on 4K. OK, you get 4K BR and BR in the same package, but that’s way too expensive. That said, on Amazon today I see that it’s now ~£16. The Fifth Element 4K is £40. That’s stupid money.

To my eyes, DV is way too bright, but where I notice the big improvement is HDR. I’m sure that many people with decent eyesight can see the differences when viewing material in DV, 4K UHD, HDR10/+, etc., and to a degree I can. Going back to HD looks low rent by comparison. A decent player helps. My Panasonic 820 does a reasonable job on both BR and DVDs.

As with all things, early adopters pay a premium. Roll-on 8K ...

Clem
40 quid for The Fifth Element? I paid about 15 not long after release.

Inflating 4K prices doesnt help your argument. Ive picked up new 4K releases for well under £20. Ive paid less than £10 for a few.

The Fifth Element is probably that expensive on Amazon as it's a US release only, so import tax applies. I got mine from the US for about £18 via eBay.

I typically spend an average of £15 per title nowadays.

Much as I still love buying 4k discs, I'll be the first to admit that i struggle to see the difference in picture quality from other 4k content via apps.

Watched Seven Worlds, One Planet on iplayer the other day & I thought it looked even better than my Planet Earth 2 4k blu.

I hang onto the mantra regarding bit rates and how a blu ray disc will 'always look better', but the reality is, I cant really spot any difference. Much as it pains me to say it...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom