Question Anyone successfully using a Chromecast Ultra with 55" OLED 754? - issue with DD+ audio

edjg

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my brand new 55" OLED 754 (with latest software update this morning).
Dolby Plus sound via a Chromecast does not work. It is mostly silent. The audio will occasionally come in temporarily and then go silent again.
It is fine with a stereo stream, but DD+ streams all exhibit this issue for me.

Replicated with HBO Nordic, Netflix, Google Play Videos, and Amazon Prime DD+ streams, cast from different mobile and browsers.
I have 3 Chromecasts. One Ultra (bought yesterday to try and fix this issue) and two standard chromecasts (of various generations including 3rd). All exhibit the same issue.

All these devices when connected to different TVs or AV receivers work fine (confirmed that it is indeed the DD+ stream on those other test devices). It is only with the 754 that I get this issue all of which seems to rule out faults with the devices or the particular streams given it affected content on all apps.

I have reset to factory settings and reinstalled the system multiple times. This has persisted across this and the last software version on the TV.
I have chatted with Philips support and they didn't provide any answers.

The "Device Info" modal shows the device as providing Dolby Plus 3/2. Although if i leave it playing in silence long enough the "Device Info" modal sometimes shows "Stereo" instead. The device is still sending the surround audio.

This is using the only TV Speakers with no ARC receivers attached. I have played with "Input sources" configurations, tried all ports, etc. Chromecast is connected directly to TV inputs, no extension cable in use. DD+ from my original Amazon Fire box and my PS4 _do_ seem to be working OK.

Before I exchange this for a different model, which I am close to pulling the trigger on, is anyone successfully using this TV with a Chromecast Ultra and DD+ audio streams? At least that might narrow it down to an issue with my specific set rather than a more fundamental software issue with Saphi.

Hi,

I got the same TV with the same issue. Therefore I doubt it will ago away when you exchange the TV for a different model.

I also tried all kind of variants and different setups.
Problems occurs regardless on what HDMI port I connect the Chromecast. Looks indeed like there is indeed only a issue when it is a Dolby stream. No issues experienced on other sounds streams via the Chromecast.

Have not yet a solution unfortunately.......

OK, thanks for letting me know. I ended up swapping it for a more expensive TV from a different brand (which works with the Chromecast fine) so it's good to know that I didn't spend a lot more money for something that couldn't been fixed by swapping for another of the same.

After reporting the issue to Philips at the beginning of last week and being told that they'd get back to me I have yet to hear anything from them.

Please post here if you hear something.
Give me a ping if Philips need additional details.
Thanks

Hey Edjg, I have a 6704 and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Did you ever hear back from Philips?

Hey Edjg, I have a 6704 and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Did you ever hear back from Philips?

No. I sent them detailed information, including steps to reproduce with specific streams they can test with but heard nothing back. I would suggest that you and others also contact them.

I am so happy I am not the only one experiencing this...

I just bought a brand new Philips 50pus6804/12 and a brand new Chromecast Ultra. Video plays fine, just choppy stuttering audio on Disney+, Netflix,etc.

Tried the Chromecast Ultra on an older TV, works fine.

Tried it back on my new TV and nothing. Impossible to watch anything. Tried older Chromecast on the new TV and as well audio problems. Tried all HDMI ports. Reinstall, factory settings. All of it....

In contact now with Google Chromecast support via Twitter and filed an issue at Philips. Extremely tough and annoying cookie.

I had issue with stuttering 4k video on my Philips Oled 55 754 when streaming 4k from Netflix. It was very visible in panning shots such as the one in "Our planet" at around 7min 40 sec. I thought it had to do with bad Wifi signal, but after connecting an Ethernet cable and running a speed test to make sure the speed was sufficient (it was more than 3 times recommended at 98 MBps) I still had issues. Then I found out that setting the "Input Signal" HDMI configuration to "Standard" instead of "Optimized" solved the issue with stuttering. I could even see it in real time while playing the scen in the background. The configuration is done per HDMI port, and I verified it on both HDMI 1 (the one with ARC support) and HDMI 3.

Hope this "input" can help someone else!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom