Anyone up for some Woody Allen on Blu-ray Disc?

Yes although it's an acting vehicle for him only, a thoroughly engaging film. Terrific soundtrack too - purchased it immediately after watching the film.

Seen it on several peoples Top 10 lists for 2014...:smashin:

Really looking forward to Love and Death, haven't seen it since the early days of Warner VHS releases but I remember as a teenager admiring how witty the dialogue was.

"I shall walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.......wait....I shall RUN through the Valley..." :D

bloody Twilight Time again - no thank you..

Twilight Time have a selection of their back catalogue discounted by between $10 and $15 for their 4th Birthday celebrations. The discounted titles include several Woody Allen titles.

SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT

The above link lists their entire catalogue in chronological order, so as you get near the bottom of the first page and on the subsequent pages you will see the discounted titles.

Also be careful - there are a couple of DVDs listed near the end, one of which I almost ordered by mistake thinking it was a Blu Ray.

Bananas is now on UK Netflix :)

Lookout for a young Sylvester Stallone.

If you have unblockus (or similar) - quite a few Woody Allen films across the different Netflix regions. Like many older films on netflix they come and go.

His last film Magic in the Moonlight is on Netflix Canada.

Coming August 11th from Twilight Time!

midsummer.jpg

Please give us Stardust Memories next!

Don't listen to him TT.......Sleeper!!!!! [emoji51]
Doh, do listen to him, I've just seen Sleeper's already out! How have I missed it????? Boom, ordered. Sorry Mr Lime [emoji57]

Screen Archives have between $10 and $15 of Twilight Time titles. Not listed separately from the rest of the full price titles, so look for the titles that read "Special Promotion"

SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT

Some Woody Allen titles at $10 off.

• Love and Death
  • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
  • The Purple Rose of Cairo

Also recently released by Twilight Time but full price @ $29.95

Shadows and Fog.jpg

Another Twilight Time sale now on with all their current Woody Allen titles included in the offer.

Plus, this one is due from the label later this month...

13413149_1200648809953783_4322635581143473380_n.jpg

Maybe someday we'll get Stardust Memories on Blu.

Thread from the dead. Just remembered this thread when discussing Woody Allen elsewhere.

Scouring the globe for his Blu Ray releases that aren't available in the UK is becoming a full time occupation. Here are three I've picked up recently.

'Irrational Man' from Amazon Italy, currently in a 5 Warner Brothers titles for 20 Euros promotion.

Irrational.jpg

'Husbands and Wives' from Amazon Spain. You need to keep an eye on this one. The price fluctuates wildly on it. I nabbed it for 8 Euros, but it's currently priced at 26 Euros.

Husbands.jpg

And I picked this up a few days ago from Amazon Germany for 9 Euros.

ANything.jpg

Also this from Amazon Germany, currently priced at 9 Euros.

Wonder.jpg

Also one of the "early funny ones" has appeared in the USA. Region A locked.

TAke.jpg

Hopefully someone will wake up and release 'Play It Again Sam'. Please?

And 'Deconstructing Harry' would be nice too. :)

I saw this at Bradford Film Theatre in the late 80s. Liked it at the time - have never seen it since.
s-l600.jpg

Apparently there is a Spanish release of 'Take The Money and Run' that can be picked up for around the 10 Euro mark. However it's unclear whether it's legit or one one of those "official bootleg" BDRs that are all over Amazon Spain. So if anyone finds any info about it, please post.

The above mentioned Spanish release of 'Husbands and Wives', however is a legit release from Sony.

Last edited:
Scouring the globe for his Blu Ray releases that aren't available in the UK is becoming a full time occupation.

I had been avoiding going down this road in the (vain?) hope that Arrow might continue their series of box sets. I don't hold out much hope that this is going to happen now though so thanks for the links you have posted.

Your posts also prompted me to watch Sleeper last night so thanks for that too :)

Last edited:
Another sought after title in the bag! 'Manhattan Murder Mystery', one of my favourite Woody films.

Just found it on Amazon Spain for 15.99 Euros.

This was released as a Twilight Time Limited edition in the USA and quickly sold out and is now fetching silly money online. This wasn't turning up in searches when I entered its English language title. But then I realised that my recently obtained Spanish Blu Ray of Woody's 'Husbands and Wives' wasn't turning up in searches until I entered its Spanish title.

So, simply enter 'Mysterioso Asesinato en Manhattan Blu Ray' and bingo, up pops this...

MAnhattan.jpg

Plus it's not one of those dodgy Spanish bootleg BDRs as it's an official Sony release! Result! :)

Last edited:
I really do wish someone, somewhere on the planet would release 'Deconstructing Harry' on Blu ray. This film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Screenplay as well as receiving a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture - Musical or Comedy and is one of Woody's sharpest and most hilarious comedies.

Along with 'Melinda and Melinda' and 'Sweet and Lowdown', these remain the only films from his later period not to be released on Blu Ray anywhere in the world.

I need these before the current Zombie Apocalypse claims me! :(

Just did a quick check on my DVD shelf and the only Woody Allen films (as writer and/or director) not released yet on Blu Ray (in any territory) are:

What's Up Tiger Lily
Don't Drink The Water
Play It Again Sam
Melinda and Melinda
Sweet and Lowdown
Deconstructing Harry

I can add one more to that list that has remained unseen in any form.

I hold out a hope that some enterprising person somewhere will release 'Men of Crisis: The Harvey Wallinger Story' . This was a 1971 film made for TV, written by, directed by and starring Woody along with Diane Keaton. It was a mockumentary (much like his later film 'Zelig'), that was a scathing satire on the then incumbent Nixon administration, with Allen playing the title character, a thinly disguised version of Henry Kissinger. Unfortunately, PBS, the network it was made for, bottled out of showing it, fearing reprisals from the government in the form of cuts to funding and the film has never seen the light of day.

This is the Holy Grail for Allen fans.

Everything else I've manged to obtain on Blu Ray from some country.

So, come on Criterion, Arrow, Eureka - anyone!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom