Question Anything out there to compete with Arcam SR250

Out of curiosity 🧐 What will the Anthem Pre-amp add? Will it replace one of your existing devices, or be in addition to?

Out of curiosity 🧐 What will the Anthem Pre-amp add? Will it replace one of your existing devices, or be in addition to?

Hi.

The Anthem will replace the RME DAC and also provide me with room correction via HT Bypass with the loss of DIRAC with the Arcam out of the picture.
It will also be an input selector for my music sources.

Hi.

The Anthem will replace the RME DAC and also provide me with room correction via HT Bypass with the loss of DIRAC with the Arcam out of the picture.
It will also be an input selector for my music sources.
Ah, okay, that makes more sense. It's a complicated set-up.

Will room correction be applied on an HT bypass input? Would that not be a direct input straight to the power amp and miss out the pre-amp and bypass any processing?

Will you still need an AVR, maybe just as an HDMI DAC?

If you have got your head around all of this, then just ignore me, I may be adding more confusion than helping :rolleyes:

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. It's a complicated set-up.

Will room correction be applied on an HT bypass input? Would that not be a direct input straight to the power amp and miss out the pre-amp and bypass any processing?

Will you still need an AVR, maybe just as an HDMI DAC?

If you have got your head around all of this, then just ignore me, I may be adding more confusion than helping :rolleyes:

No, you make a valid point, a point I didn't consider really. The word "bypass" should've been a clue though eh.. :facepalm:

So, I'm told by an expert that you can create an input to suit your needs. Apparently, you can tailor each individual input to behave in whatever way you choose. Sounds quite clever...

Unfortunately, I do need an AVR as the alternatives will not decode the lossless audio tracks. They will only strip out the lossy 2 channel audio and ditch all other channels including the LFE.
Its a compromise but, you know yourself as we've had similar discussions in the past, it's a necessary evil.
The AVR will switch HDMI sources and decode the audio. That will be passed on to the STR which will them do my bass management and Room EQ.

Make sense?

It depends. FFMPEG which plex uses discards the .1 when it’s output is set to two channel. Other sources (PS4, jriver) retain it when downsampling to two channel, as they should.

So it depends on what’s doing the processing, but a Dolby compliant processor should merge the .1 with the L/R channels. I’ll post a link from someone on AVS that explained that to me.

as far as I know, the standard equation dolby recommends for stereo downmix drops the LFE channel. If you rely on a bluray player or a TV to do the job you will lose the LFE channel every time. If you use a receiver or processor to do your downmix where it can configure small or large speakers then it can choose to mix LFE in with the mains but that requires a processor. I'm not aware of any source device which does this.

I tested this when I had a Denon receiver and I switched between my Blu-ray and my amp doing the downmix while watching terminator 2 and I was definitely losing bass slam.

I'm currently using a lyngdorf for a 2.1 system and I really like the room correction and I don't really miss the centre or surrounds, but I do miss the slam of the LFE.

I'm planning on trying to "pre-process" the signal with an old Meridian 568 by telling it that I only have a 2 channel system with digital speakers and I'll see if it works.. but it's not ideal. I'd really like the lyngdorf to have DD/DTS decoders tbh! and HDMI-CEC that works with my LG tv...

I like the idea of the Marantz NR line, but I'd prefer something similar but with better RC...

as far as I know, the standard equation dolby recommends for stereo downmix drops the LFE channel. If you rely on a bluray player or a TV to do the job you will lose the LFE channel every time. If you use a receiver or processor to do your downmix where it can configure small or large speakers then it can choose to mix LFE in with the mains but that requires a processor. I'm not aware of any source device which does this.

I tested this when I had a Denon receiver and I switched between my Blu-ray and my amp doing the downmix while watching terminator 2 and I was definitely losing bass slam.

I'm currently using a lyngdorf for a 2.1 system and I really like the room correction and I don't really miss the centre or surrounds, but I do miss the slam of the LFE.

I'm planning on trying to "pre-process" the signal with an old Meridian 568 by telling it that I only have a 2 channel system with digital speakers and I'll see if it works.. but it's not ideal. I'd really like the lyngdorf to have DD/DTS decoders tbh! and HDMI-CEC that works with my LG tv...

I like the idea of the Marantz NR line, but I'd prefer something similar but with better RC...

You're absolutely right in everything you have said and that's why I've found it so difficult to figure out how best to achieve what I need.
It's all well and good buying these expensive 2 channel amps but they all do the same thing, they strip out just the 2 channel PCM out of the Dolby signal and drop the LFE so you lose out big time.

Buying the NR1200 is a compromise but a necessary one. I can't justify the space in my rack to the Arcam when all it is doing is HDMI switching and audio decoding. It puts out some ridiculous heat just from the HDMI board alone!
I can stick the NR1200 into Eco mode and it will do exactly what the Arcam is doing right now yet us half the size, prettier to look at and isn't pumping out tons of heat.

Then the STR Pre can deal with the audio and give room correction too. I can't see a downside at all?

Even the hdmi boards you can buy for the Lyngdorf, NAD etc etc all do the same, they don't add the ability to decode multichannel audio and just give you basic 2 channel.

I don't see the point.

The only device that has caught my eye as an alternative to what I'm considering is the new, upcoming NAD M33. It has Purifi amps, great power, great DAC and is a ROON endpoint. Ticks loads of boxes. I would still need a processor though...,

AFAIK, in HT bypass mode the STR will not do any bass management, room correction or anything else, with the sole exception of permitting you to slightly adjust the gain to match the AVR's other channels. HT bypass mode is about bypassing as much as possible, supporting functionality only if is is absolutely necessary to make it work at all. Anything which is not crucial is assumed to be done by the upstream AV source, which therefore needs to be reasonably competent.

AFAIK, in HT bypass mode the STR will not do any bass management, room correction or anything else, with the sole exception of permitting you to slightly adjust the gain to match the AVR's other channels. HT bypass mode is about bypassing as much as possible, supporting functionality only if is is absolutely necessary to make it work at all. Anything which is not crucial is assumed to be done by the upstream AV source, which therefore needs to be reasonably competent.

So I guess I won't be using HT bypass then! :D

I've been told to forego the Anthem and save money and buy a minidsp instead? I feel the minidsp, although being a very versatile product is massively inferior to the Anthem preamp.

Any thoughts on this at all? :thumbsdow

The MiniDSP is a DSP product, the Anthem STR is an advanced preamplifier. You started this thread because you were unhappy with your Arcam, didn't like the Lyngdorf, but wanted AV functions in a stereo setup.
The problem is finding something to both switch my hdmi sources whilst simultaneously decoding, downmixing and passing through to to STR to do it's magic. Is there any device out there that can replace the SR250?.

I've mentioned this before, but what about using your Oppo UDP-203 between the TV and an Anthem STR? The TV will do HDMI switching etc, the Oppo will decode, delay and convert, and the Anthem STR will do everything already discussed.

The MiniDSP is a DSP product, the Anthem STR is an advanced preamplifier. You started this thread because you were unhappy with your Arcam, didn't like the Lyngdorf, but wanted AV functions in a stereo setup.

I've mentioned this before, but what about using your Oppo UDP-203 between the TV and an Anthem STR? The TV will do HDMI switching etc, the Oppo will decode, delay and convert, and the Anthem STR will do everything already discussed.

Hi Mark.

Don't mean to rub you up the wrong way mate but there's method to my madness.
It all comes down to cost and box count really.
You see, I was going to sell the OPPO to raise funds towards the STR so keeping it, although possible, wasn't in the plan.
I should get around £1k (maybe a touch more as it has a PSU upgrade) for it and a replacement Marantz NR1200 can be got for around £400.

Selling my RME ADI2 DAC should raise around £5-600, Arcam SR250 around £5-600 and my Cyrus power amp around £8-900.

My TV is an old OLED from 2014 and only has 3 inputs, one of which is the HDMI ARC port which is obviously the means of getting a signal to the TV from a receiver.

I see your point though. I suppose I need to decide whether to keep the OPPO or sell for a receiver.
I hate these choices! The OPPO is a good bit of kit really....

The STR definitely is the superior option as you've said. :)

I had assumed that you were keeping the Oppo as your primary player for CD, SACD, DVD, BD & UHD physical media.

My working model was that your TV supports three HDMI inputs (one ARC), whilst your signature lists 3 AV devices (Oppo, PS4, Nvidia Shield). The Oppo does ARC, so you could use it to extract the audio signal from the TV to route to the stereo through the Oppo's stereo RCAs. (I do appreciate that you have the 203, not the 205 and hence don't have the dedicated stereo RCA and balanced outputs, but you do have 7.1 analogue outputs that can be configured for stereo). The TV will handle the other two sources, but you do need to verify that your older TV will route the HDMI audio from the non-ARC inputs back over ARC - some TV's don't. This can be checked by using your Arcam, or probably you've already done this.

I had assumed that you were keeping the Oppo as your primary player for CD, SACD, DVD, BD & UHD physical media.

My working model was that your TV supports three HDMI inputs (one ARC), whilst your signature lists 3 AV devices (Oppo, PS4, Nvidia Shield). The Oppo does ARC, so you could use it to extract the audio signal from the TV to route to the stereo through the Oppo's stereo RCAs. (I do appreciate that you have the 203, not the 205 and hence don't have the dedicated stereo RCA and balanced outputs, but you do have 7.1 analogue outputs that can be configured for stereo). The TV will handle the other two sources, but you do need to verify that your older TV will route the HDMI audio from the non-ARC inputs back over ARC - some TV's don't. This can be checked by using your Arcam, or probably you've already done this.

To be honest, the OPPO has been boxed up ready for sale for a while now as I rip my Blu-ray's to my HDD's which are attached to my NVIDIA Shield.
My Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 rips my CDs too so the OPPO has been redundant for a good while now.
I also use TIDAL HIFI via the Innuos as a ROON Core.
Although you can't deny the technical capabilities of the OPPO, because it isn't in play, I'm not sure I can justify keeping it.
Although keeping and utilising it could work although I will be 1 hdmi input short so would need an additional switcher of some description that is compatible with my harmony remote.

The NR1200 option, although possibly inferior to the OPPO, is much more functional and future proof. It will allow easy switching of HDMI sources with my harmony remote and has pre outs + sub 1 & 2 which can go straight to the STR Pre (or minidsp SHD) for that to room correct my movies and bass manage my subs.
I do plan to upgrade the TV at some point too but that's not important right now.

You see my dilemma......

With your superior knowledge, what would YOU do in my situation Mark?

Easy route of NR1200 or messy but possibly superior OPPO route.....

Or....go back to a soundbar! :D jk

The NR1200 option

don't forget that've got a few NR's and I think the top one is the NR1710, though I know the others are multi-channel. I think it's a shame they don't make that component as a much higher end processor and with a better RC system. I really like the size and shape...

don't forget that've got a few NR's and I think the top one is the NR1710, though I know the others are multi-channel. I think it's a shame they don't make that component as a much higher end processor and with a better RC system. I really like the size and shape...

Very true, there are a few NR's but the 2 channel suits my needs as it is just a plain 2 channel receiver with no room correction built in which is ideal as I don't want to pay extra for something I won't use.
It has all the mod cons too which is a bonus.
I won't be using the amps as I'm buying a pair of Purifi monoblocks so I'll stick it into Eco mode and just use it as a hdmi switcher/decoder.

A mini bonus is that I'll be able to do some A/B testing with it to see if paying extra for the class D monoblocks really does improve things Vs a measley 75W class A/B in the marantz.

I do plan to upgrade the TV at some point too but that's not important right now.
what would YOU do in my situation Mark?
I'd replace the 6 year old Full HD TV with a UHD TV having all the necessary AV functionalilty to act as the complete centrepiece and hub of the AV setup, then use it to feed a purely stereo system. Not all TVs have the necessary components, so you do need to set up a checklist and be prepared to pay for it.

I'd replace the 6 year old Full HD TV with a UHD TV having all the necessary AV functionalilty to act as the complete centrepiece and hub of the AV setup, then use it to feed a purely stereo system. Not all TVs have the necessary components, so you do need to set up a checklist and be prepared to pay for it.

Hmm. Interesting idea! One I didn't consider really.
So, your idea is a TV with E-ARC which handles all the latest Dolby and DTS formats to an all in one stereo integrated that also has an E-ARC input like the upcoming NAD M33.

The new NAD has absolutely everything I could need including the Purifi PSU's aswel as having DIRAC and is also a ROON endpoint/core.
It's not out until next month so hasn't been subjectivity reviewed yet.

Is this what you meant?

Hmm. Interesting idea! One I didn't consider really.
So, your idea is a TV with E-ARC which handles all the latest Dolby and DTS formats to an all in one stereo integrated that also has an E-ARC input like the upcoming NAD M33.

The new NAD has absolutely everything I could need including the Purifi PSU's aswel as having DIRAC and is also a ROON endpoint/core.
It's not out until next month so hasn't been subjectivity reviewed yet.

Is this what you meant?
Not quite. Im my suggestion you do not need any AV functionality in the stereo setup, as you feed it an analogue stereo signal. That's why I said that the TV needs to have "all the necessary AV functionalilty to act as the complete centrepiece and hub of the AV setup".

The segregation of duties permits that to choose your stereo equipment to do what you want your stereo to do, instead of restricting yourself to those few devices with HDMI built in. It has an impact on your choice of TV though: many budget level TVs assume that either you're running a solitary TV or you're running it in conjunction with an external AVR for sound.

(The new NAD M33 is nice).

Last edited:
Not quite. Im my suggestion you do not need any AV functionality in the stereo setup, as you feed it an analogue stereo signal. That's why I said that the TV needs to have "all the necessary AV functionalilty to act as the complete centrepiece and hub of the AV setup".

The segregation of duties permits that to choose your stereo equipment to do what you want your stereo to do, instead of restricting yourself to those few devices with HDMI built in. It has an impact on your choice of TV though: many budget level TVs assume that either you're running a solitary TV or you're running it in conjunction with an external AVR for sound.

(The new NAD M33 is nice).

Ah, I see exactly where you are coming from now.

When I finally make a purchase, I'll post back as I'm sure you're interested in my decision seen as though you had the good nature to respond to my questions.

Thanks Mark! :thumbsup:

Not quite. Im my suggestion you do not need any AV functionality in the stereo setup, as you feed it an analogue stereo signal.

I do similar with an LG OLED55B6 but instead of feeding my amp the analogue stereo signal, I feed it an optical signal and then use the nice dac in my hifi amp.

of course, this assumes that all modern dac's aren't transparent etc. I know that using the analogue out is good too, but using the amp dac makes me feel better ;)

I do similar with an LG OLED55B6 but instead of feeding my amp the analogue stereo signal, I feed it an optical signal and then use the nice dac in my hifi amp.

of course, this assumes that all modern dac's aren't transparent etc. I know that using the analogue out is good too, but using the amp dac makes me feel better ;)

Something tells me the DAC in your amp will be a smidgen bit better than the one in your TV. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom