Apple 4K tv not Enabling Dolby Vision

rjames1701

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if posted in the wrong section but it was the only Apple forum I could find.
Equipment. Panasonic gz1500 oled. Denon avr-4400. Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray.

All cabling goes through AVR.

If I connect the Apple 4K *direct* to the tv then I can successfully enable Dolby vision.
Blu ray plays Dolby atmos and vision through avr to the TV.
If I plug the cable from the blu ray into the Apple, same avr Input as blu ray, then half the tv turns green when selecting “Try Dolby Vision” and i have to settle for 4K SDR.

I don’t think it’s the avr as I can pass a DV signal from the Blu ray to TV via avr. I’ve proven it’s not a cable issue as I use the same uhd cable as blu ray
The only thing I can think of is that the avr does not like the Apple TV in some way.
Can anyone offer any suggestions to what I might try next?

Thank you
Rich

Your AVR does not support DV 60Hz, there are multiple versions of DV both hardware and software based.

The ATV 4K by default outputs 60Hz only (its 24Hz output is optional) so it must be able to do DV in 60Hz. Your BD player outputs the DV at 24Hz.

Try this
* manually set the output of the ATV to 4K SDR 60Hz.
* set the video output to YCC 420 (if its on 444)
* enable the match range/content feature in ATV video settings

See if that works as it should switch over to DV 24Hz output when playing a movie.

If it doesn't work then the ATV needs a newer version of DV that the receiver does not have, check that the firmware of the receiver is up to date, if it is then you've done everything you can.

One other long-shot is stop the AppleTV detecting DV on the receiver, you could try a Dr HDMI device and use its 4K HDR profile to hide the DV built into the receiver from the ATV.

Got the same 4K ATV and the same Denon AVR but with an LG series 6 OLED.

I simply use auto switching everything on the ATV frame rate and resolution and that is it. It seems to me more like a cable connection issue.

Got the same 4K ATV and the same Denon AVR but with an LG series 6 OLED.

I simply use auto switching everything on the ATV frame rate and resolution and that is it. It seems to me more like a cable connection issue.
Thanks for the reply. I connected ATV directly to the TV and all works perfectly so it’s not ATV or cable from TV. I then used the hdmi I use for blu ray to the AVR on the ATV to AVR but that defaulted to 4k 50hz. I even bought a new hdmi cable which is 4k certified and 18gbs but yielded the same result. I was thinking I might need to buy an hdmi switch and bypass AVR altogether. 😖

Your AVR does not support DV 60Hz, there are multiple versions of DV both hardware and software based.

The ATV 4K by default outputs 60Hz only (its 24Hz output is optional) so it must be able to do DV in 60Hz. Your BD player outputs the DV at 24Hz.

Try this
* manually set the output of the ATV to 4K SDR 60Hz.
* set the video output to YCC 420 (if its on 444)
* enable the match range/content feature in ATV video settings

See if that works as it should switch over to DV 24Hz output when playing a movie.

If it doesn't work then the ATV needs a newer version of DV that the receiver does not have, check that the firmware of the receiver is up to date, if it is then you've done everything you can.

One other long-shot is stop the AppleTV detecting DV on the receiver, you could try a Dr HDMI device and use its 4K HDR profile to hide the DV built into the receiver from the ATV.
Apologies I missed this post. I will give your suggestions a go later this evening and report back.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I connected ATV directly to the TV and all works perfectly so it’s not ATV or cable from TV. I then used the hdmi I use for blu ray to the AVR on the ATV to AVR but that defaulted to 4k 50hz. I even bought a new hdmi cable which is 4k certified and 18gbs but yielded the same result. I was thinking I might need to buy an hdmi switch and bypass AVR altogether. 😖
nah the avr does this perfectly. I seriously don't think this is anything to do with DV either more like a dodgy cable or connection.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom