Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this.

Had a look at the MG EV at the weekend. I think the range is still an issue but generally I thought it was pretty good. One thing I did think poor compared with the competition and what I am used to is the infotainment and sat nav - seemed quite slow and primitive - was surprised when the salesman started telling us what apps we could use on our phone to locate the nearest charging points as I thought EVs had this sort of thing built in.

Then I read a review which agreed with my view but then said that as it supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto you can just use that instead.

I’m really behind with this technology - I get that it is connecting your phone to the car but then what does that do for you. Does it provide better navigation and what does your phone need to support that - is it using up your data tariff all the time it is in use?

Cheers,

Nigel

It allows your phone apps to use the car's display and speakers (and be controlled by the car's controls).

is it using up your data tariff all the time it is in use?
It depends on what apps you are using. E.g. if you are using a sat nav app with real time traffic updates that will use up data, same if you stream music via Spotify etc.

It is most simplistic put a remote display and input to your phone, but as already mentioned nicely integrated with the car system.

yes the best experience will require data to be on and it will use data. Some mapping software can I think download maps locally if you prepare the route whilst on WiFi. I find it’s easier to just let it use data so you can do it all when in the car.

Likewise with Apple Music or Spotify you can just play your downloaded playlists, of if you have your phone set to use data you get access to everything.

One edge case where arguably a build in system is better is that the navigation doesn’t just rely on GPS but also has the vehicle inputs. That way say you are in a long tunnel in Switzerland or in a very build up skyscraper city it maintains directions easier.

In general I find Apple CarPlay or Android Auto a million times more useful than proprietary systems. We tend to only use the inbuilt system for the amplifier and speakers, sometimes DAB readio but otherwise it’s CarPlay or Auto all the way.

Bear in mind @nheather that there is no MG app which means no toys like "where's my car" or "turn on the heating/air con" remotely. Nor can you set up delayed charging from the car end. So your comments about the interface being primitive compared with others are spot on.

Polestar 2 comes with Android Auto as its standard interface - no Polestar/Volvo interface at all.

Soon enough you will have to buy the correct phone to match your car.

Polestar 2 comes with Android Auto as its standard interface - no Polestar/Volvo interface at all.

Soon enough you will have to buy the correct phone to match your car.
As I understand it is slightly different; it is using Android Automotive OS, which is different than Android Auto. Yeah I know it’s confusing :) But you don’t even need an Android phone to use it. Also the hardware is included to support Apple CarPlay wirelessly but not enabled yet until nearly 2021. I would hazard a guess this is because they would want to use the relative new feature to support the multiple displays.

I love android auto and use it over the stock sat nav software in my car. I was in Portugal once and connected my phone to the hire car's USB connector with the intention to charge my phone. I was pleasantly surprised that the hire car supported android auto and it was seamless in starting up.

As mentioned, it integrates your phone to your car. Need to be careful you don't over use it though whilst driving (safety concerns). I love the Google voice activation (I.e. "OK Google, send message to James. I'm running 10 mins late" or "OK Google, open bbc sounds" etc).

Audio apps, messaging apps and of course Google maps, all with easy access via the car's sat nav interface.

Agreed, really useful case when hire cars have it. Especially when you have the destination address for accommodation etc already in your phone. It’s quick and easy. Both Android auto and Apple CarPlay.

I wanted Apple CarPlay so much I paid a pretty penny to buy the Audi components to retrofit it to my 2015 Audi S3. Wanted it to work (and look) as OEM so didn't want to go for one of those man-in-the-middle type boxes which you can get from China. Works a treat.

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this.

Had a look at the MG EV at the weekend. I think the range is still an issue but generally I thought it was pretty good. One thing I did think poor compared with the competition and what I am used to is the infotainment and sat nav - seemed quite slow and primitive - was surprised when the salesman started telling us what apps we could use on our phone to locate the nearest charging points as I thought EVs had this sort of thing built in.

Then I read a review which agreed with my view but then said that as it supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto you can just use that instead.

I’m really behind with this technology - I get that it is connecting your phone to the car but then what does that do for you. Does it provide better navigation and what does your phone need to support that - is it using up your data tariff all the time it is in use?

Cheers,

Nigel
This isn't the right post to quote as I'm sure you posted elsewhere that the MG looked like a petrol car converted to electric as the satnav still showed petrol stations?

I'm a bit confused. I was sat in ours yesterday and was playing with the settings and stumbled across a setting in the Sat Nav to put in/confirm what charging socket your car had. I didn't change that but when I went to "go to place/locations" I was offered "charging stations". No sign of fossil fuel garages at all. How old was your demo vehicle?

It's worth adding that Android Auto works as a stand alone App, so you can simply mount your phone where you like it, and away you go.
I use it this way in my old Honda and it works pretty well.

My Golf GTi has Android Auto built-in and it's a superb experience, and it was no extra cost.

As usual Apple wont let you have something so useful, so you have to fork out for it most of the time AFAIK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom