Apple iPad Pro (11in and 12.9in) Review & Comments

I’d really like one of these keyboards but I’d call the price extortionate rather than ‘quite expensive’ :( I remember buying my current laptop many years ago and that only cost as much as the 12.9 inch keyboard - that was for the whole laptop as well (15 inch Asus 8GB RAM and 750GB hard drive). It’s still running as well albeit with the hard drive swapped out for an ssd.

Its pretty expensive isn’t it?

The only way I could justify it was that i picked up a 2018 refurb iPad Pro and its let me get rid of a laptop, so I’m going down from two devices to one. So the price of the iPad and Magic Keyboard is about the same as a MacBook Air I’d buy.

My not yet year old third gen 2018 12.9 inch iPad has a trade in value of £310 according to Apple. That is for payment against the newer model. What a joke should have known they would be that stingy.

My not yet year old third gen 2018 12.9 inch iPad has a trade in value of £310 according to Apple. That is for payment against the newer model. What a joke should have known they would be that stingy.
That's always been the case with trade ins.
Sell it on eBay - even after fees you'll be better off.
Not by mies, but if you're patient you should clear 400-450, depending on spec.

At the same time, not sure what you'd expected really - mass market consumer electronics rarely hold their value well.

Also - why the upgrade? The 2020 version is almost identical, and most reviewers couldn't justify an upgrade?

That's always been the case with trade ins.
Sell it on eBay - even after fees you'll be better off.
Not by mies, but if you're patient you should clear 400-450, depending on spec.

At the same time, not sure what you'd expected really - mass market consumer electronics rarely hold their value well.

Also - why the upgrade? The 2020 version is almost identical, and most reviewers couldn't justify an upgrade?
I was just checking to see, not really interested in upgrading since the new gen offers little in terms of upgrade as you say.

I think I paid 950 last May so thought I might get around half that for trade in. Obviously too optimistic it seems.

I was just checking to see, not really interested in upgrading since the new gen offers little in terms of upgrade as you say.

I think I paid 950 last May so thought I might get around half that for trade in. Obviously too optimistic it seems.
Understood, but then not sure how its relevant then tbh.
Anyway, theoretically, you'd probably still get 500 ish on eBay - so something "around half" is achievable.

Apple's trade in values are a bit odd in one respect - recent products suffer, as you say, but then the further drop off for a (say) 3 year old product isn't very much more. Its a good option for those in a hurry I guess.

I had this recently with my mums early 18 MacBook 12 inch - Apple's trade in wasn't great for such a new product, but i got 750 quid for it on eBay, which was actually very good. Some Apple products do have a much stronger secondary market than equivalent non-Apple products do.

I guess it’s relevant in case anyone is interested in going down the Apple trade in route. I suppose I could have been tempted like a silly greedy kid at Xmas if it had been nearer 500. But that has definitely gone out of the window with the £310 reality check. Hopefully next year will have a meaningful upgrade and there won’t be too much more depreciation to my current model as you suggest.

I guess it’s relevant in case anyone is interested in going down the Apple trade in route. I suppose I could have been tempted like a silly greedy kid at Xmas if it had been nearer 500. But that has definitely gone out of the window with the £310 reality check. Hopefully next year will have a meaningful upgrade and there won’t be too much more depreciation to my current model as you suggest.
eBay it then - guessing at your spec, but there are plenty of what I suspect are you spec selling for well over 500 pounds. Why just rely on Apple to buy it from you? eBay will always beat Apple, regardless of the products age.

Although it literally makes zero sense upgrading from the 18 to the 20 Pro.

It’s just that the trade in route is quick and seemingly less hassle, but yes a private sale would do better. I agree and I’ll wait for a more meaningful upgrade but could have been tempted with a better trade in offer out of silly upgradeitis.

I gave up looking for a second hand 12.9 3rd Gen, because the prices are so high compared to new. As I'm VAT registered, by the time you lose the 20% vat and the warranty the prices ons end hand aren't much different....

I gave up looking for a second hand 12.9 3rd Gen, because the prices are so high compared to new. As I'm VAT registered, by the time you lose the 20% vat and the warranty the prices ons end hand aren't much different....

There are deals out there, I picked up a 1 day old 12.9 cellular version a few months back for £600. My wife wanted a 11" version and I got a sealed one for £450. Both were from eBay.

So, for someone who has a very old iPad 2 and is after an 11" Pro, would you recommend finding a cheapish 2018 version or paying the extra and getting the 2020 model?

I have the 2018 so I might be bias. But if you don't mind going second hand it's like half the price for very little difference. What differences there are I don't believe you'd ever notice. Unless you're into AR gimmicks. The money you save could spend on a trackpad or keyboard

So, for someone who has a very old iPad 2 and is after an 11" Pro, would you recommend finding a cheapish 2018 version or paying the extra and getting the 2020 model?

I'd go for the old model if you can get one for the right money. The new model isn't a significant upgrade over the old one.

A few things to weigh up (storage, warranty, condition). The 2020 comes starts with 128gb whereas i have to drop to 64 which is quite a drop even with iCloud, or jump up to 256gb which decreases the gaps in price b/w the 2018 256 and 2020 128.....

64gb is not enough, at least for me, I bought a 256gb unit, - I use mine for musical orchestration and composition and sample libraries soon take up the space. I would have bought a 2018 if I could have got one for the right price though....

Definitely the 2018 model.

Apple Refurbished store, or eBay....the 2020 is virtually identical, no point, especially when the A12 processor in the 2018 has so much head room power wise.

Definitely the 2018 model.

Apple Refurbished store, or eBay....the 2020 is virtually identical, no point, especially when the A12 processor in the 2018 has so much head room power wise.

Apple refurbished has no stock currently of 256gb. I’m watching a few on Ebay but prices are high for a used 2018 without warranty.

I’ve seen that Very have 10% off if you sign up to their finance scheme but the payment can be cleared without any interest charge, so that gets me a 2020 128gb for £700.

I’m watching a few on Ebay but prices are high for a used 2018 without warranty.

That's what I found - for some reason prices are high just now. Probably partly because the new model isn't much of a bump over the old one, and a lot of people are sitting at home. If I could have found a decent price on one I'd have gone for a 2018, but nothin doing.

This is the quandary im also in.
Do I get the refurbed 512gb 3rd gen for £979, or the new 2020 256gb for £1047.
Ideally need to finance it so ebay and the likes aren’t really an option.

Apple are running 24 months interest fee at the moment - I didn't go that route myself though....

When I looked the other week there wasn't much of a benefit in price going for the 2018 model.

Still flying high are the prices of the previous model so I am leaning towards the new model. It just so happens that Argos accept Nectar points as payment up to £200 (probably a well known fact to most, but not me).....and I have shed loads of nectar points I've never used :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom