Apple iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max Review & Comments

Good review, as tempting as it is, I will stick with my X..... for now!

Good review - a day-late for me, as I bit the bullet yesterday and bought the 11 to replace my X.

I took the view that the display difference between the 2 wouldn't make a huge difference to me (if you saw my glasses prescription, you'd understand ;) ) and, great as the new camera undoubtedly is, again, I'm not sure I'd get the benefit (if I want to take "proper" photos, I'll use a real camera).

So I saved a few ££ and got the 11 - which I'm really pleased with and feel the slightly larger size over the X (& 11 Pro) is an improvement.

I can buy two decent cars for that money.......... :)
Sticking with 7 for now, 11 can wait (it is a beautiful machine tho)

I've been using the 11 Pro now for a couple of weeks having come from a 7. I wasn't looking to upgrade but dropped on a great deal. The 7 was still a very capable phone although the better was fading. The 11 Pro is such a joy to use though, so fast, screen is fantastic. As the review rightly points out the cameras and the integration of the software are fantastic. I can't wait to take some shots in the mountains when I go skiing in Jan. Expensive, yes but this will do me for a couple of years at least.

The lack of 5G isn't an issue for me yet. I get 80+mpbs speeds on 4G which is faster than my home internet.

"this will do me for a couple of years at least ". If I was paying this sort of money for a phone I would want it to outlast me fullstop!

Last edited:
The review states the 11 pro and max come with an ultra wide lens that's not on the 11, that's incorrect, it's the (some would argue less useful) telephoto that's not on the normal 11

"this will do me for a couple of years at least ". If I was paying this sort of money for a phone I would it to outlast me fullstop!

They are very expensive, I wish they were cheaper. My only justification is the deal I got and the fact a good phone is such a capable device now. Camera, media player, internet/email, banking, health tracking oh and it can make calls too. The saving grace with Apple is the resale values hold up well so initial outlay is high but in a couple of years it would still be worth about £500 I think.

Have just upgraded from the X, which I thought was a brilliant phone anyway, to the 11 Pro Max - and am delighted.

Can’t agree with you more regarding the camera - I have a decent bridge camera which alway come on holiday with us, but I’m finding myself using the phone more, as you did, because the shots it produces are just sensational.

One thing that wasn’t in the review and is probably worth mentioning, the lightning cable that comes with it is now USB-C at the other end, so make sure you have a older cable about if your computer doesn’t have a C port

Iphone pro 11 and Max are very nice phones. I went into the apple store with my still going strong samsung s8 in my pocket. But holding that Pro max in my hand, it's very nice quality.

The phone is expensive, but this phone today is a portable computer that can do almost anything. Best to get it on a 12 month pay plan, interest free.

They are very expensive, I wish they were cheaper. My only justification is the deal I got and the fact a good phone is such a capable device now. Camera, media player, internet/email, banking, health tracking oh and it can make calls too. The saving grace with Apple is the resale values hold up well so initial outlay is high but in a couple of years it would still be worth about £500 I think.

Intrigued to know what deal you got? Was this on a contract or buying the phone outright?

Sounds about right - I got £517 for my boxed, mint condition 256gb X (had been in a case and with a screen protector on since I opened it) on eBay (£1 selling weekend too, which was nice)

Intrigued to know what deal you got? Was this on a contract or buying the phone outright?

It was with EE on contract. £199 upfront (11 Pro 64gb) and £33 a month for 24 months @ 30Gb data. Works out less than buying the phone new.

It was with EE on contract. £199 upfront (11 Pro 64gb) and £33 a month for 24 months @ 30Gb data. Works out less than buying the phone new.

Was that direct from EE? Decent deal that.

have had mine for a week having come from the X. Cant say i've noticed much difference is anything other than the battery life (although the X was pretty good). Haven't used the camera enough to say how good it is.

The screen isn't as bright as the X although black levels are better, in terms of speed, when doing a direct comparison in opening and using apps, they came out as identical.

It’s look like a piece taken from Apple websit. The screen has the same res as before and experts can’t see the difference between the new one and last year’s model.

It’s look like a piece taken from Apple websit. The screen has the same res as before and experts can’t see the difference between the new one and last year’s model.

It doesn’t say it’s any different from last years

I'm sticking with my X for now. It's only two years old so to replace it seems utterly insane (to be frank) given the environmental damage the manufacturing and transportation of these things cause. Plus there's just nothing much here to justify an upgrade anyway. The new camera is I dare say better but my god is the back hideous because of it now, and the huge notch on the front isn't going anywhere soon.

Perhaps when Apple modernise the design and find some way to make the camera cluster less of an eyesore (ie. how it is on every Android flagship) and when my X shows some signs of age I'll think about it. Until then, no thanks Tim Apple.

I'm sticking with my X for now. It's only two years old so to replace it seems utterly insane (to be frank) given the environmental damage the manufacturing and transportation of these things cause. Plus there's just nothing much here to justify an upgrade anyway. The new camera is I dare say better but my god is the back hideous because of it now, and the huge notch on the front isn't going anywhere soon.

Perhaps when Apple modernise the design and find some way to make the camera cluster less of an eyesore (ie. how it is on every Android flagship) and when my X shows some signs of age I'll think about it. Until then, no thanks Tim Apple.

If you think the camera is an eyesore (on the side of the phone you don’t spend anytime looking at btw), then just get this case

Attachments

• 006CACE3-644A-488A-A34D-003BE18D90E0.jpeg
    006CACE3-644A-488A-A34D-003BE18D90E0.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 491
hmmm, my XR isn't that old if i am honest but am quite tempted to get an 11 on contract or possibly even buy outright.

I replaced my X on release day with the 11 Pro Max, and the X is now our household spare...

Anyway I couldn't agree more with the reviewer. It is a very good upgrade in every single way. It is also very hardwearing, it was only yesterday I dropped my Space Gray model for the second time on tarmac from (Dutch) standing height and not as much as a scratch, dent or anything.

One thing I don't get in the scoring; why does the Operating System and Email/Calendering Apps only get 8 points? They are brilliant and so well integrated in every way possible. Nothing comes even close to it.

The 11 Pro Max is a huge improvement over my XS Max. The camera is so good now that my RX100 is almost redundant! I can get better shots with my A7R3 but with post-processing. The software of the iPhone is just so good at generating great shots with minimal effort. The new ultra wide option offers so many more creative options - it’s like having a quality 16-85 focal range. You can just focus on the composition, confident that the phone will do the rest.

Add in outstanding battery life, and handy improvements in speaker quality and screen accuracy, and it really is a brilliant phone.

One thing I don't get in the scoring; why does the Operating System and Email/Calendering Apps only get 8 points? They are brilliant and so well integrated in every way possible. Nothing comes even close to it.
If we‘re talking about the default email app, it’s poor compared to 3rd parry apps from Outlook etc. If I delete an email on another device and then open the default email app on my iPad, sometimes the same email shows up and if I delete it, it will just keep coming back time and again. To the point I have to delete the account and re add it to stop it. Been like this for years and Apple never address it. I’m not the only one who experiences this.

And why in 2019 do Apple still insist on auto align with apps? Maybe I want to have 4 apps on the bottom of my screen and not where Apple tell me to put them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom